Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-06-2010, 11:19 PM

Default Lee Factory Crimping Dies?

Hey guys, looking for some real experience with these factory crimping dies-who has used them? Do you find better accuracy with the crimp? I have a few sets I picked up, I like the fact that trim length is not critical using them. i mean, they crimp fine and that, but so far I have not noticed a change one way or the other accuracy wise.

I can see the argument for them with some hunting loads in heavy recoiling calibers, or if you have neck tension issues.

They are reasonably priced though, not losing much if they don't work as claimed.

Any thoughts??
Old 05-06-2010, 11:49 PM

I have played with them quite a bit. I tried them on rifles with a long throat, to see if it did as it claimed and produced a more uniform start pressure. I didn't see any real difference. I have a few loads that shot better with the LFC, but most loads shot better with out it, or the same.

I stopped using it on my more expensive brass that I've put work into. I found that it was eventually ruining the case mouth.

I still use it with my 45-70 and 30-06. Both loads are heavily compressed and I like the heavy crimp on my 45-70 with the tube mag.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:31 AM

Eventually ruiningthe case mouths? Yeah, not good. I bought a set for my '06,and .45-70, but I think I'll save it for hunting loads. My BPCR loads dont need a heavy crimp, and if it is detrimental to accuracy, well, that's counterproductive. Thanks for the post.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:53 AM

I use the Lee crimp dies, make a big difference, not really!! I shot a load with out the crimp and then loaded the same with a crimp, accuracy was a little better with the crimp........but not enough to matter on a hunting load!! At ~$12 each.....not a real big loss if you don't use them!!!

Perry
Old 05-08-2010, 08:31 AM

Pretty important if shooting a lever gun like the marlins or winchesters. I've also had the bullet jamed into the case in my box mag fed bolt rifle (rem 700). Cheap peace of mind if your shooting is primarily of the field kind.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:55 AM

Other than for handguns or rifles with tubular magazines,I don't crimp any of my loads.I don't find that crimping offers any advantage at all in my other rifles.