Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-10-2007, 09:29 PM
Decent day on the water

Default Decent day on the water

Was at Pine Coulee, was quite cold and foggy thismorning, but nice and warm in the tent with the heater blasting! got a few little walleye in the 12-14" range, no ling though. Fishing slowed down around 10:30am so went to Twin Valley for some pike for dinner. Couldn't seem to manage one big enough though. Beautiful day. The Eyes were caught on a walleye twister tail made by berkly power bait, pike on smelts. For JRS who was inquiring on size of walleye, all that I saw down the hole were around the same size. It was stocked in 2000 and 2003 so i assume the ones i was catching were the ones from 2003. The ones from 2000 should be larger but may have been washed out. What do you think?
Old 02-11-2007, 12:27 AM
jrs

Okay, i forgot they stocked it in 2003 again. Theres lots in the other size class, probably hanging out deep or just being selective. They should be 20-22''. 12'' sounds about right for the restocks, they don't grow very fast in that lake. How deep were you fishing? Were you fishing shallow or did you have an underwater camera to see them? Just trying to reason why you just saw the one age class.
At least you got a couple. I'm going for perch tommorrow so hopefully i get enough for a nice feed. Thanks for the report.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:53 PM
re

Default re

We were in about 12 feet,the water was crystal clear and the walleye were swimmin in little schools of 4-5 fish. Action was pretty steady it was sure neat watchin them, I have never really been able to watch walleye down the hole. Would be a good time to take a kid there and get them interested in the sport!
Old 02-11-2007, 03:00 PM
Re

Default Re

I forgot to mention, the water at twin valley seems to have gotten very dirty and is kind of a rusty color visibility is only about 2-3 feet maybe, any thoughts. There must still be lots of decaying bushes and what not. Figured that played a factor in the fishing, as it was slower than normal. Good luck on the perch JRS
Old 02-11-2007, 08:23 PM
jrs

Default Re: Re

Hey buck Krazy,

It may be spawning burbot making it real murky. Its the right time of year and i've had it screw up fishing before. That or like you said, decay. The perch are really thick at Sherburn if you care to know. I manage 8 (kept 7, had one accidental release after he was in my pile for a few minutes). Saw hundreds with my camera, incredable. Neat to hear the eyes were so shallow, not a bad sign at all. I may have to make a trip out there this season to see them. I saw a big one on my camera at sherburn today but he wasn't worried about my jig, too many little perch to eat.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:00 PM
re

Default re

good stuff, too bad that walleye didn't have a grab! I love perch fishing too, but the only lake I have ever done really good in is Pine. Lake Pondereille in Idaho when I was 6 or 7 we caught like 30 or 40 around 12" in 80 feet of water. When you brought them up the swim bladders were coming throught the mouth. They sure are tastey, from what I remember!