Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-28-2019, 11:40 AM

Question Spinning reel on a fly rod?

Hey All,
So I read a column the other day about a fisherman who was using a small spinning reel on a fly rod to cast out smaller lures and even some larger flies.
I was just curious if anyone has tried this and if so are there any tips or pointers on trying this method out?
I have a smaller ice reel and a fly rod that gets little use so I was thinking of trying them together for smaller trout and goldeye possibly.
Thanks for any info!
Old 08-28-2019, 11:45 AM

Most fly rods have the stripper guide too far up and it is too small to facilitate a decent cast from a spinning reel because of the way the line comes off the reel when the cast is made , but I know people use them at times.
Cat
Old 08-28-2019, 09:05 PM

Smile

Around 1995 I built a rod for a guy who specifically wanted to use a spinning reel on a fly rod blank. I put a regular spinning rod reel seat and spinning rod guides on it and started them closer to the reel. It was a 9 foot 7 wt fly rod. He used it for coho salmon on the Vedder River in Vancouver. I had my doubts when I built it for him. But that's what custom is all about. A few years after I built it I was down at the coast fishing the same river and bumped into him. He had the rod with him and was using it. He said he caught too many fish to count on it. I gave it a few casts and thought it was too whipy for my liking. However, he loved it.

Rob
Old 08-29-2019, 08:43 AM

Default spin on fly rod

I used this method for salmon,some years ago,the salmon schooled out of range of a regular fly rod.A rod with extension worked best,with a cork weighted bobber on the end,and dropper fly about 8 ft up,a orange caribou bug worked best.
Old 08-29-2019, 03:11 PM

Thanks for the info guys!
I am on my way to Sylvan Lake this weekend with the float tube so I may try slow trolling the setup to get a feel for what it will be like.
Old 09-03-2019, 12:49 PM

often, when I hike to spot, I'll take the fly rod along with two fly reels and a spinning reel. They all get used on the fly rod.