Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-27-2021, 08:53 AM

Default Salt Water vets, what are your thoughts & suggestions?

Hi guys,

Considering a trip to the coast this Aug or early Sept to try for some Springs, Coho and some bottom feeding species. I have a 14' "deep" V aluminum (riveted), with a 30 hp 4 stroke. No DRs, but an assortment of DDs and heavy duty tackle + line counters. I've got a lot of boating exp. on big water, ie Lake Superion and Huron, but never on the Coast or Ocean as a skipper lol.

What would you suggest are the limitations of areas I can safely go with my boat? I am obviously first going to observe any fishing area retention closures, and no I don't plan on crossing the Strait. Open to Van area, Howe Sound, anywhere on the island... I thank you in advance for sharing your thoughts and input.
Old 06-27-2021, 09:08 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

I would just head to Campbell River and fish the ocean, lakes, rivers etc it is a very nice area with lots of fishing options both salt and fresh water.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-27-2021, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
I would just head to Campbell River and fish the ocean, lakes, rivers etc it is a very nice area with lots of fishing options both salt and fresh water.
Campbell has always been on my list, and I know people who've done very well in the area. Definitely on my list now, thank you for your input!
Old 06-27-2021, 09:35 AM

A number of fishing lodges provide 'do it yourself' fishing for Salmon in BC with Aluminum boats. You should be okay if you are careful.
Old 06-27-2021, 09:38 AM

Many sheltered places there but you'll get yourself a tide table and be careful with the rip currents at Race Point near Menzies Bay...
Old 06-27-2021, 09:51 AM

Thumbs up

a good rule is to hit up a local tackle shops etc and they will put you on the areas you wish to pursue, what to use etc....a ten minute chat and a few purchases can save you a lot of time.

Old 06-27-2021, 10:44 AM

May be able to fish around Bamfield, Bowser, Campbell River, Port Hardy. All can be unfishable in bad weather and high waves. All could be great in calm conditions.

Pounding through waves in a riveted boat could ruin it.

Waves, swells, motor wash waves have sunk many a 14 footer. Skills and knowledge driving a boat on the ocean is needed. Dead heads and hidden rocks are a risk. Rogue waves are also real. Current against wind can make water deadly fast. Anchoring in the ocean takes real skill and proper anchoring system.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 06-27-2021, 08:16 PM

Go to the Island. Depending on your timing, you should be able to find springs, coho, pinks and the odd chum.

Bamfield would be my first choice. Easy to fish and some of the spots are close and easy to get to. Some late springs and lots of coho and access to good bottom fish. Ukie and Tofino are the same on the other side of the sound

Second would be the North Island with either Port McNeill, Port Hardy or Telegraph cove. easy access to good fishing and you can fish some areas with slip weights/DD's. Late springs and should be coho around. Good bottom fish as well. Have to learn the tides/currents, but lots of locals can help

CR is OK, but you will need DR's and you need to understand the tides/currents in the area as the water can really move there. Spings/coho, but little bottom fish

Courtenay/Comox can be OK with a lot less water movement. Springs and coho but again, limited bottom fish.

Its been years since I fished Gold River or Tahsis, but depending on your timing, you should be able to find good fishing close to the dock.

No idea about fishing around the lower waste land.

Good luck

Cheers

SS
Old 06-28-2021, 05:17 AM
Banned

I'd say that anyone who thinks a 14' boat with a little putter on it is suitable sea-going vessel grew up in Newfoundland in the 40's. Just kidding. Them Newfies are smarter than that.

Free
Old 06-28-2021, 08:50 AM

20 years up and down the island on both coasts in a small tin boat just limited our adventures but we hammered all species….watch the tides, the forecast and always keep an eye to the sky…..miss the salt water.

The benefit is if the seas are ruff there is always a nice lake to hit up…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 06-28-2021, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
20 years up and down the island on both coasts in a small tin boat just limited our adventures but we hammered all species….watch the tides, the forecast and always keep an eye to the sky…..miss the salt water.

The benefit is if the seas are ruff there is always a nice lake to hit up…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I did a ton of fishing with 12 and 14 foot canoes on the coast. Just like you I used my head and watched the conditions

As for places to check out north island around hardy is a good option. Another option on the north coast is the work channel near prince Rupert. Bring cab traps and worst case in bad weather you can target inshore bottom fish and crabs

Stay away from the lower mainland it is the dead ocean limited fishing and hit hard
Old 06-28-2021, 10:42 AM

Nootka Sound could be an option just before and during September long chinook are at the river mouth and you can jig for them. I was there for a kayak derby and for that the place was perfect.

it's a long run to the open water but the sound itself is very sheltered. and you could maybe hire a boat to run you out to the open water for a day.
Old 06-28-2021, 04:29 PM

If you plan on keeping anything check the limits. It could impact where you want to go https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/...es-cb-eng.html
Old 06-28-2021, 08:37 PM

qualicum area has lots of flatter water for smaller boats ,Chinook pinks and coho around at the time of year u are going out.
Old 07-01-2021, 02:47 PM

Default Bamfield is great

Been fishing Bamfield for a number of years in my 16 Naden. I have DR's but caught many off a jet diver type. Last time hit double header with two jet divers dragging skinny g's. Just me in the boat, gong show! Got 'em both.
Lots of easy water to fishing, tides are waaaay more manageable than Campbell River and fishing is generally great between 20 and 60 ft depths. Campbell River ya gotta be 250-300ft and tides can be very treacherous, especially with winds.
If you're willing to go further north Winter Harbour can be fabulous as well, a bit more open. I'm in a 16ft tinny with a 25 hp merc, good to go but stay wind and weather aware.
Old 07-01-2021, 03:28 PM

I grew up in Campbell River and had my own boat, a 12’ Lund with a 14hp Johnson Commercial on it. I started fishing out of that boat anywhere within half an hour or CR when I was 12. Rules were I wasn’t allowed past the Green Can south of Quadra or the Mill to the north. You’ll have no issue in a 14’ Tinney with 30hp. If the wind is up and it’s rough it’s not comfortable in any boat except the biggest of cruisers.

The end of August and first 2 weeks of September is the best time all year to fish for big Springs right in front of town. I’ve rowed dozens of Springs and 5 Tyee out of a row boat so your tinner is fine. No riggers needed and from Hidden Harbour to the old Pulp Mill it’s closed for their use anyways. The actual river mouth is restricted for motor boats but from a marker on the spit south is open. I power boat it with a buddy each year and we catch fish. He hits it every evening for a couple week period from the last few days of August into September and he lands dozens of Springs with several over 30lbs each year. We’ve been doing it now for 35 years, some years are better than others but most are good in a power boat because the fish quite often don’t hold right in the Tyee pool. In a power boat you can travel around a bit but the rowers are pretty limited to along the spit. Some of our best years have been years the Tyee Club has registered its least amount of fish. I registered my first Tyee taken from right in front of the ferry slip almost 20 years ago. Lots before that though out of a power boat.

6 or 7 inch Tomics, 6 ounce slip weight with surgical tubing and a crib peg so that you can get a 12’ leader. 30 two foot pulls with a medium troll and your in the zone. Use a med-heavy rod with a light tip so that you can watch the action on the rod tip and adjust speed until you get a good beat. The smaller the Tomic the deeper you go so there is a bit of playing around until your dragging bottom at a decent speed. Slower is not always better but the key is to keep your plug in that bottom 1/3 of water. Unless first or last light, then they can be right up on top.

Guys run riggers in different spots south and north of CR but you need a lot of line as mentioned and with the tides a big wide boat and 15lb balls helps keep the lines from tangling. You’ll most likely just catch feeders at that time of year out in the deep and it’s not a beginner experience for sure. I’ve done it a ton but it can get stressful at times running two rods down 250 feet. With the current quite often you are fishing with 250’ of rigger line out in 200 feet of water and not bouncing bottom.

That’s where I’d go. It’s easy to get to and you can go out for a decent meal at any number of restaurants every night. You’ll be a little limited for bottom fish but if you decide to go send me a pm and I can give you a few spots for Lings. There will be a few Pinks still in the river at that time too so on a light spinning outfit or fly rod they are a blast. You can also launch at Brown’s bay north of town at that time and fish for Coho along deepwater bay. Probably early for Chum but they start getting them mid-September.
Old 07-01-2021, 09:25 PM

Well guys, the information that has been shared here is great, to say the least. Thank you all for your contributions!!! Tons of ideas circling in my head now.

Tight lines.