Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-30-2021, 05:17 PM

Hey it's Lee Murray, I fished with you a couple of times on Lake Sundance about 10 years ago and up at Running Rain Lake with Jim Stelfox.

I'm on holidays for the next month and have a belly boat, also have a son and wife that have taken up fly fishing and have belly boats and pontoons.

Wouldn't mind bonking some perch, send me a PM.

Lee
Old 07-30-2021, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeAB View Post
Hey it's Lee Murray, I fished with you a couple of times on Lake Sundance about 10 years ago and up at Running Rain Lake with Jim Stelfox.

I'm on holidays for the next month and have a belly boat, also have a son and wife that have taken up fly fishing and have belly boats and pontoons.

Wouldn't mind bonking some perch, send me a PM.

Lee
Trout bite has slowed down a ton. Perch bite is hot right now. Casting light line, small jigs, perch eyeballs and slaying them. Also fishing right below the boat.

So ya. Buddy and I just floated the other day with a marmish rod and slayed em. Just using a life jacket and floating livewell is a blast. A float tube works also. Having an anchor helps.

My messages are cleared up so pm me and we can find a time. Don’t need waders In the tube as the water is 73 Fahrenheit
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 08-08-2021, 08:55 PM

Spent an afternoon last week with Sundance, good guy and good fishing.
If you want to know what 120+ perch look like in the cooler and then filleted and ready to eat, click on the thumbnails.
Highly recommend taking advantage of an invitation to bonk some perch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6109.jpg (75.4 KB, 271 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6116.jpg (92.2 KB, 262 views)
Old 08-09-2021, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeAB View Post
Spent an afternoon last week with Sundance, good guy and good fishing.
If you want to know what 120+ perch look like in the cooler and then filleted and ready to eat, click on the thumbnails.
Highly recommend taking advantage of an invitation to bonk some perch.
It was a blast. Once we found a school of biggies we filled the buckets fast.

Yumm. Perch tacos.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 08-10-2021, 05:57 PM

I have a hunkerin to chase more perch.
Old 11-18-2021, 10:19 PM

Midnapore and Chaparral were iced over yesterday.

Sundance is about half iced over. Should be fully frozen in the next two days I expect unless we get some serious winds.

We have about a half inch along shore.

Looking forward to getting some folks out for some great perch fishing.

I recommend getting one of these rods.

https://www.amazon.ca/Frabill-Panfis...7298211&sr=8-1

A marmish rod with this works also

https://thefishinhole.com/index.cfm?...TORS/&se=29474

These are good perch hooks

https://www.ebay.com/itm/32287914824...ad6a%7Ciid%3A1

Need 4 lb test for perch. 6 pound if you are not good at fighting big trout up a hole on light line.

Ice won’t open till it’s safe. Likely after Christmas.

A good long cold snap with no snow could change it.
Old 11-19-2021, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Midnapore and Chaparral were iced over yesterday.

Sundance is about half iced over. Should be fully frozen in the next two days I expect unless we get some serious winds.

We have about a half inch along shore.

Looking forward to getting some folks out for some great perch fishing.

I recommend getting one of these rods.

https://www.amazon.ca/Frabill-Panfis...7298211&sr=8-1

A marmish rod with this works also

https://thefishinhole.com/index.cfm?...TORS/&se=29474

These are good perch hooks

https://www.ebay.com/itm/32287914824...ad6a%7Ciid%3A1

Need 4 lb test for perch. 6 pound if you are not good at fighting big trout up a hole on light line.

Ice won’t open till it’s safe. Likely after Christmas.

A good long cold snap with no snow could change it.
I’ve had a bunch of PMs about coming perch fishing.

Firstly… lake still closed. I will post when it opens. We have an active safety program because the lake is heavily used. It’s a private lake with rules https://www.lakesundance.org/General-Rules/fishing. Perch is unlimited retention. Taking home 200 is not unusual. Expectations based upon the last 12 months is catching perch from 3-12 inch and averaging 7-9 inch. Boneless filleting and perch taco dinners seem the most popular.

Secondly… the answer to what I prefer for hear to be most successful is noted in this post. Ultralight rods and light line is critical for perch. Bites are so light that even a sensitive spring may not see a bite. While a bobber can work…if cold then bobber freezes into the ice. We’ve seen the perch bite and chew the hook on camera and the spring tip not even move. So to maximize your catch… you have to have a spring tip either built into the rod or an after market add on or a do it yourself epoxy job. I’ve seen some people make a loop in 80 or 100 lb test mono and epoxy it to the end of the rod and some coloured epoxy on the end to see the loop.

Thirdly… bait for me is catch a perch with a fly… then use eyeballs all day. A little sliver of perch skin works as well. Alternatively using maggots to catch the perch then use maggots and/or eyeballs.

Fourthly.. I’ve lost count of how many people I’ve brought out fishing. People always ask what they should bring me. I just need some nice company and smiling anglers. As past folks know… I love seeing kids catching perch. That all said…. I have yet to turn down donuts (sprinkle and choc dip) and Timbits and venison pepperoni and jerky lol. But ya. Don’t feel guilty if you bring nothing. I don’t drink coffee.

Fifthly… fishing can be last minute planned and if I’m going I can take a few guests. When I announce the lake is open, send me a PM with when you can fish and your cell number for texting. If someone needs to plan a visit in advance we can address it. If it is super cold… getting out is tougher. If you have a propane heater and six man tent… it becomes easier.

Sixthly… what to bring. Appropriate gear. I’ve literally had someone come ice fishing with 2 full sized Hali rods complete with 80lb braid. Hence the recommended gear. I’ve had a few broken rods from guests and they didn’t offer to replace them. I’ve had someone come dressed in sneakers and a light winter jacket when I had a parka and -100 boots and balaclava. If you have a tent that works. Propane heater is ok. Hand or electric augers only allowed. Only one rod fishing per person. A tip up isn’t useful for perch. I release all trout. Trout can’t be kept out of the water as cold can damage gills. I won’t stop someone from a quick trout photo. Bring hooks that work and a few if you are not good at hand lining large trout. We have rainbows to 24 inch, browns to 30 inch, brooks to 18 inch and perch to 12 inch. You will know immediately if it’s not a perch. If you have little kids I recommend the standard snacks and drinks and a few rewards like a toy for catching a fish if they are very young. Skates and toboggan with helmet is great to break up fishing. Kids that are forced to fish and are bored… will be turned off.

Lastly. There are washrooms nearby. No business allowed on the ice. I’ve had someone drop trousers and urinate facing the lake homes. While somewhat funny… I swim in the lake so ya. Not allowed. Also there is no smoking or vaping allowed in the park including on the ice. Take all garbage home.
Old 11-20-2021, 12:14 PM

I found this data to be interesting.

Ice came off the lake on: April 30, 2009, April 7, 2010, April 23, 2013, April 24, 2014, March 31, 2015, March 28, 2016, April 20, 2017, May 1, 2018, April 19, 2019, April 28, 2020

The lake froze over on: November 19, 2010, November 16, 2011, November 15, 2012, November 14, 2014, November 26, 2016, November 7, 2017, November 19, 2018, November 9, 2020, November 20, 2021
Old 11-20-2021, 01:14 PM

Quote:
I found this data to be interesting.

Ice came off the lake on: April 30, 2009, April 7, 2010, April 23, 2013, April 24, 2014, March 31, 2015, March 28, 2016, April 20, 2017, May 1, 2018, April 19, 2019, April 28, 2020

The lake froze over on: November 19, 2010, November 16, 2011, November 15, 2012, November 14, 2014, November 26, 2016, November 7, 2017, November 19, 2018, November 9, 2020, November 20, 2021
What about it is interesting

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk
Old 11-20-2021, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwood View Post
What about it is interesting

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk
Guess.
Old 11-21-2021, 10:10 PM

Ice on is more consistent with the disappearance of the sun, in November, than springtime weather/ snow loading covering the ice preventing radiant heating, early chinooks/clear ice/ sunshine…Ice on is therefore more predictable than ice off….Your stats say so !
Old 11-21-2021, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainerdave View Post
Ice on is more consistent with the disappearance of the sun, in November, than springtime weather/ snow loading covering the ice preventing radiant heating, early chinooks/clear ice/ sunshine…Ice on is therefore more predictable than ice off….Your stats say so !
Spring seems more variable that Fall. It’s interesting. Also the Spring has a one month range.

I wish I had the data for 40 years. Would be interesting to see the graph.

You coming perch bonking again?

If anyone has been out before. Please post a response that says

“Member of Sundance perch bonking club”

I can’t remember everyone now. I can’t count that high.
Old 11-22-2021, 12:16 PM

"Member of Sundance perch bonking club" Thanks Kevin...Generally speaking on from the 14-20 Nov. Oddly enough the latest ice on was followed by the earliest Ice on. Ice off can vary almost 5 weeks...

Last edited by trainerdave; 11-22-2021 at 12:26 PM.
Old 12-14-2021, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainerdave View Post
"Member of Sundance perch bonking club" Thanks Kevin...Generally speaking on from the 14-20 Nov. Oddly enough the latest ice on was followed by the earliest Ice on. Ice off can vary almost 5 weeks...
I find it interesting how variable it is especially in the Spring.

Hopefully this year is a good ice year.

For anyone interested in knowing one of the perch hook styles I like... here is my most often used one.

https://twitter.com/IWanttoFish/stat...217036293?s=20

The price was right. Shipping was fairly quick. Hook quality was good.

I like the yellows and greens more for perch. The other colours can work. I think they work better on the trout however.
Old 12-18-2021, 07:39 PM

Ice fishing is now open
Old 12-18-2021, 07:56 PM

Im gonna hammer them perch Monday morning
Old 12-18-2021, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rena0040 View Post
Im gonna hammer them perch Monday morning
You going to put in a tent? I’ll probably see you out there. Let me know if you want extra perch.
Old 12-19-2021, 04:42 PM

Default The Lake Sundance Species Trifecta

Rainbow trout

https://twitter.com/iwanttofish/stat...257112064?s=21

Brook trout

https://twitter.com/iwanttofish/stat...520555008?s=21

Yellow perch

Old 12-21-2021, 04:52 PM

Default Lake Sundance Ice Fishing Grand Slam

Old 12-22-2021, 10:21 AM

Anyone free to fish last minute today?
Old 12-22-2021, 09:38 PM

Default Fishing report

Catching lots of fish, albeit mostly trout.

The rainbows, browns and brook trout are biting fast and furious. In the past 3 days I have caught more trout than perch.

Of the 30 perch I have caught the average size is <5 inch. Only five 7-8 inchers, the same number of 5-7 inchers and all the rest are like 3 inchers. So we have a large year class of tiny perch to contend with that rush the hook.

There are lots of big perch around but the whole lake isn't open yet. It will take some moving around to find the larger perch schools I am thinking.
Old 12-23-2021, 08:22 AM

Quite the grand slam there! Maybe the brookies and browns can help with the perch a bit. Good luck out there.
Old 12-23-2021, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Quite the grand slam there! Maybe the brookies and browns can help with the perch a bit. Good luck out there.
I’m hoping some are big enough and smart enough to see small perch as tasty yummies.

I can hardly wait until we start getting some tiger trout. Hopefully they also go to town on the perch.

Then we can really take advantage of a mixed species fishery.
Old 12-23-2021, 04:13 PM

Quote:
I’m hoping some are big enough and smart enough to see small perch as tasty yummies.

I can hardly wait until we start getting some tiger trout. Hopefully they also go to town on the perch.

At Blood Indian Res they have had good early results from the brown and tiger stocking to control the prusian carp. Think perch should be similair.
Old 12-23-2021, 07:39 PM

Quote:

When are we getting the Tonys?
Old 12-23-2021, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
When are we getting the Tonys?
Only one Tony Roma’s in Calgary.
Old 12-23-2021, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Only one Tony Roma’s in Calgary.
Groot?
Old 12-23-2021, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacCowboy View Post
At Blood Indian Res they have had good early results from the brown and tiger stocking to control the prusian carp. Think perch should be similair.
I’ve heard good things about the tigers. I suspect after they hit around 10 inch they likely start to become more piscivorous.

If perch weren’t so pric kly the rainbows could eat them.
Old 01-01-2022, 05:29 PM

Finally got out on the lake today. Sad to see not a single perch over 6 inches caught, all summer everything I caught was 7-9 inches, not sure what happened. On the positive side, I caught my first brookie out of the lake after three years of looking for them. Also, i was super shocked to see an 18 inch rainbow take a few swipes at a 4 inch perch I was reeling in, hopefully a few of them are actually hunting those little guys, I would have never thought a rainbow would eat a perch.
Surprised to see less than a foot of ice as well after all this cold.
Old 01-01-2022, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rena0040 View Post
Finally got out on the lake today. Sad to see not a single perch over 6 inches caught, all summer everything I caught was 7-9 inches, not sure what happened. On the positive side, I caught my first brookie out of the lake after three years of looking for them. Also, i was super shocked to see an 18 inch rainbow take a few swipes at a 4 inch perch I was reeling in, hopefully a few of them are actually hunting those little guys, I would have never thought a rainbow would eat a perch.
Surprised to see less than a foot of ice as well after all this cold.
It’s interesting the ice is 10.5 to 11 inch where I drilled. I will be out tomorrow. Lots of small perch again but the bigger perch are still around. Just need to find the larger sized schools.

Did you catch any browns?

I find chopping the tiny perch up at the end of the day and watching them sink and get eaten by trout is interesting. Need to cut the dorsal spines off. The perch and trout will eat the small pieces off the bottom.