Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-21-2021, 12:39 AM

Default Cold Lake white fish

I would appreciate any tips for catching white fish in Cold Lake. I had fairly good luck with Lake Trout and would like to try white fish. Thanks
Bob
Old 09-21-2021, 05:46 AM

Was out there late this past August on a dead calm evening fishing for Lakers. It was raining Whitefish as they were rising all around the boat. No idea what they were after.

Know a few locals and catching Whites in Cold at any regularly is a mystery unless using square hooks.
Old 09-21-2021, 07:50 AM

Drive a bit further north and west to Marie. I've never been a whitefish guy....but that's where the guys I know go.
Old 09-21-2021, 10:20 AM

Marie lake whites are fill of worms. Tapeworm cysts right in.thr meat.
Old 09-21-2021, 12:26 PM

Some of my friends from Saskatchewan used to commercial fish (gill net) cold lake. This is going back thirty years but the whitefish should still inhabit the same areas. There is a beach where you can launch a boat a short distance south of the cold river which is on the east side of the lake. Heading west about five hundred meters in an imaginary line towards the town of cold lake will put you in the area that they used to set their nets in. I can’t remember what depth that they were setting their nets in and it might be way too deep for you but it will give you a starting point.
Old 09-21-2021, 12:39 PM

..... one year, there was a quota to net 100,000 lbs of whitefish from cold lake. One group decided to target the lake trout around the island and caught the entire 500 lb quota for lake trout the first day shutting down the commercial fishing for that year. My friends were still in the process of setting their nets and had to pull them out immediately. They were ****ed to say the least and the lake was never netted by the commercial fisherman again after that. Just putting this out there so that people will have an idea how large the whitefish population is.
Old 09-21-2021, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Drive a bit further north and west to Marie. I've never been a whitefish guy....but that's where the guys I know go.
Wormy! I've had one that I cleaned for a buddy that looked clean. I haven't had any luck on the ones I kept - all wormy. But can confirm they are willing to bite for sure at Marie.
Old 09-22-2021, 12:07 PM

Default Thanks

Appreciate the responses.
Bob