Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-12-2021, 06:35 PM

Default Zodiac or Stryker Inflatable Jet Boats?

Was just hoping to connect with anyone who had had some experience with a jet motor on a Zodiac or Stryker inflatable boat.

Would like something to get me onto the NSR for fly fishing, but also something where I can remove the motor and hit some of the electric only potholes around the Province.

Only other rivers I could see myself using it on would be the Athabasca or the Red Deer, maybe the Bow.

It seems like an inflatable with a jet would be a good, cost efficient option, but I see a lot of guys selling these setups with limited use. I'm wondering if there is a big downside to this type of jet boat?

Any knowledge, thoughts or opinions would be welcome.
Old 09-12-2021, 07:52 PM

If you are running water that is under a foot then not having a jet tunnel can cause issues because the first thing to hit is the jet intake. An inflatable can also have issues with cavitation because they tend to have a lot of air running under them and straight into the intake. Some work well, some don’t work very well at all. I’ve been in both.

The intake on a small jet pump runs approximately $600 for a stock aluminum. Even with a tunnel in my Solar 380 I hit enough times on a moose trip two weeks ago to destroy it in a couple days, thus ending the trip. I just spent the last two days pounding rocks with a new poly intake out of Russia and it still looks like new.

If I was going to run water that was not real skinny the Stryker 420’s with a 25/20hp jet and a poly intake would be a good combo. They seem well built and the couple I’ve seen worked pretty good.
Old 09-12-2021, 09:07 PM

Thanks for the information. Looks like those Stryker’s don’t have a tunnel hull though, wonder if it’s best to keep my eye out for one that does.
Old 09-12-2021, 09:28 PM

Strikers do not have a tunnel hull, but the couple I’ve been in seem to get enough water to the pump so they don’t cavitate. The only downside to them is the pump intake will be the lowest point on the boat, so you’ll hit it when going in less than a boot of water. For some rivers that might not be an issue.

The only inflatables with a tunnel hull are the Solar brand out of Russia or the Alaskan Jet Ranger out of Alaska. Good luck finding a used one of either though.
Old 09-13-2021, 09:38 AM

Thanks again for the informed opinion man!

Surprising only 2 manufactures of the inflatable tunnel hull. You are def correct about finding one used, they seem rare and possibly challenging to get here even new.

I wonder if the best play is just to pony up a few more dollars and find a welded Jon boat with a tunnel hull and an outboard jet.

Sorry to pester you, but real world experience is great to hear. Any thoughts on the Jon jet? Obvious downside is unable to deflate and lower weight carry capacity, anything else to consider?
Old 09-13-2021, 11:34 AM

I started with a 1448 Jon with a 25hp Tohatsu 2-stroke jet with no tunnel. It worked pretty good, but again, the pump was the first thing to hit. I looked for a tunnel hull in a lightweight Jon but could never find one in the 14’ range. Not sure there is anything made that is light enough for a 25hp to push. Once you go bigger things get pricey real quick so there are probably more capable units out there for the price.

If you want a new Solar inflatable, NR Motors in Prince George is the Canadian distributor. Darren Bell is your man. I’ve got 2 buddies that bought new 420 Jet Tunnels off of them in the last year. A 420 with a 25hp 2-stroke jet makes a nice light unit that can run in inches of water. My Merc 20hp factory jet weighs 126 pounds, a 25hp at the head (approx 20hp, maybe a bit less, at the pump) 4-stroke weighs about 60lbs more. It doesn’t sound like much but it almost takes it out of the portable range plus when you do hit something that extra weight in the motor can cause more damage to the stock aluminum intake. My Merc is rated at 25hp at the head but is called a Jet 20hp. I’d say it’s a bit less than that but on a 420 it’s the perfect combo for skinny water. I have a buddy with a 420 tunnel jet with a Yammy 40/30hp and it goes real well but in skinny water that extra weight in the motor can he a hindrance.
Old 09-22-2021, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
If you are running water that is under a foot then not having a jet tunnel can cause issues because the first thing to hit is the jet intake. An inflatable can also have issues with cavitation because they tend to have a lot of air running under them and straight into the intake. Some work well, some don’t work very well at all. I’ve been in both.

The intake on a small jet pump runs approximately $600 for a stock aluminum. Even with a tunnel in my Solar 380 I hit enough times on a moose trip two weeks ago to destroy it in a couple days, thus ending the trip. I just spent the last two days pounding rocks with a new poly intake out of Russia and it still looks like new.

If I was going to run water that was not real skinny the Stryker 420’s with a 25/20hp jet and a poly intake would be a good combo. They seem well built and the couple I’ve seen worked pretty good.
Jet Wolf in Russia also sells a rubber intake, wondering which you think would be better the poly or rubber? Also on a 25/20 merc 2 st.
Tom