Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-11-2012, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
50 pound flouro leader and 80 pound braid

Didn't know you were able to fish for sharks in Alberta.

Better not let some of the pros on t.v. here you talking about those lbs test lines for fresh water fishing. They will be all over you like they are bob Izumi.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowtrail View Post
But you only leave your tent if it's sunny and above 0 degrees
Above 0 i don't get out of bed if it ain't above 0
Old 01-11-2012, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post

Better not let some of the pros on t.v. here you talking about those lbs test lines for fresh water fishing. They will be all over you like they are bob Izumi.
yah well when I have a real chance at hooking a 100 pound plus sturgeon I dont believe in underkill spooled my winter reel with some off one of my sturgeon reels. also had 40 pound test broken before. dont watch fishing on tv anyways, I prefer to have my own fun

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-11-2012, 10:05 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:

50 I feel is heavy and hurts lure action im sure it works fine. I own 50 only use it when purposefully trolling for pike and not so sure 50 lb floro is quite as invisible as manufacturer suggest. at such a high wt
Old 01-11-2012, 10:12 PM

I personally don't run anything heavier then 15lbs test and that is on my sturgeon rod and reel set up.

I find that I don't have any problems with what I run as long as my drag is set properly. I run 4lbs on one of my jigging rods and 5lbs on the other. I can cast small jigs a mile and I can tell you for sure that I have caught fish well over 4 and 5lbs on those combos with no problems.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
50 I feel is heavy and hurts lure action im sure it works fine. I own 50 only use it when purposefully trolling for pike and not so sure 50 lb floro is quite as invisible as manufacturer suggest. at such a high wt
Im not worried about the visibility issue with the heavy flouro leaders, its more for the bite resistance factor. Nate Im still new to the strugeon fishing, but Ive had to play a large fish for a long time on 30 pound braid, Id rather get them landed and released quicker with the heavy line but thats just my personal preference. and if you do hook a huge fish on 15 pound line in a heavy current, no matter how you play it the fish is going to win. Or die trying

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-11-2012, 11:49 PM

I landed 3 in one weekend that were all 48" or bigger on a 5'6" medium action jigging rod with 6lbs test while fishing for walleyes. I landed all of them fish in pretty decent current in a few minutes a piece. I just lay the side pressure to them and keep as much pressure as possible on them. Has worked out for me so far. They have all been in good health and ready to haul out of there as soon as I pop the hook. If I do notice that I am starting to battle them longer then I think I should have to I will switch it up and go a bit heavier but for now what I have rigged seems to do the job.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:49 PM

...Thanks for the tips guys, although still kinda torn...

I do mostly trout fishing...rainbows and lakers not really getting over 5lbs with the odd trip out for walleyes and pike (chasing the 10+lbs). But I didn't really want to change out the lines every time I did this...since I love the feel of my set up I have now as well as my wife has her "perfect gear" I didn't really want to find another rod and reel getting the dust blown off every once in awhile type thing...I was kinda hoping a braid would do the trick...

Might try the leader option in the spring...
Old 01-12-2012, 12:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
I landed 3 in one weekend that were all 48" or bigger on a 5'6" medium action jigging rod with 6lbs test while fishing for walleyes. I landed all of them fish in pretty decent current in a few minutes a piece. I just lay the side pressure to them and keep as much pressure as possible on them. Has worked out for me so far. They have all been in good health and ready to haul out of there as soon as I pop the hook. If I do notice that I am starting to battle them longer then I think I should have to I will switch it up and go a bit heavier but for now what I have rigged seems to do the job.
from a boat?
Old 01-12-2012, 12:29 AM

Nope shore fishing on the south sask. river.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
Im not worried about the visibility issue with the heavy flouro leaders, its more for the bite resistance factor. Nate Im still new to the strugeon fishing, but Ive had to play a large fish for a long time on 30 pound braid, Id rather get them landed and released quicker with the heavy line but thats just my personal preference. and if you do hook a huge fish on 15 pound line in a heavy current, no matter how you play it the fish is going to win. Or die trying
Good post!

I agree tackle should suit the species.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:59 AM

Quote:
I think Nate meant 48 cm, not inches. He cant catch fish anyway

Way to lite of gear for sturgeon though.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:45 PM

Nate you said you caught 3 sturgeon over 48'' long in one weekend using 6lb test line, then you woke up, What kind of pain killers are you on.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:29 PM

Got pictures of them. Went on a trip with bob out to his brothers ranch. Had the rod set up for walleyes and wasn't expecting to get into the sturgeon.

The one in my profile pic on here is one of them. All were similar in size. Never had a break off at all. I am not saying I would target sturgeon with this set up normally but it did hold up when I hooked into them. Like I said I have a sturgeon rig set up with 15lbs braid that will do fine for the sturgeon we have around here.

Oh ya no pain killers over here anymore either. Haven't had any for about a month and a half now.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:38 PM

I thought that would get your attention Nate.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny42 View Post
I thought that would get your attention Nate.
Don't poke the bear Sonny.

How is the perch slaying going for you this year?

I was thinking of heading out in the morning but am not to sure how the ice is out there.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:51 PM

Have not been out since Christmas, Just got back from Ft. Lauderdale, Fl. yesterday went down before new years, probibly try to get out on sat. Try for some walleye.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:59 PM

Oh sweet.

pm me and I will give you what little info. I know about some walleye action if you want.

Sounds like I will be heading out Sunday on the hunt for some eyes.