Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-09-2021, 03:55 PM

She ain't a "public" launch unless it free to use. If they charge anything its a "private" launch that the public can use for a fee.
Old 02-14-2021, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
She ain't a "public" launch unless it free to use. If they charge anything its a "private" launch that the public can use for a fee.
And that's the plan as I understand it, someone has to pay the high property tax's, the fella just hasn't announced the launch fee. I believe I read something about purchasing a punch card & get reduced fee's as well the hours of operation were opening about 6:00 am to dusk. The only issue is there is very limited parking in the immediate area, you may have to park & walk as far as Cdn Tire during a long weekend. Hope the new operator is successful, lots of seasonal business have shut their doors here over the winter.

D.

Old 02-17-2021, 07:30 PM

With the warm weather in the forecast the Burb's will start movin around from the deep ... start getting excited!

Not me nor from Sylvan was posted on a F/B site, she sure is a big teaser!

Edit: Remember "0" limit now in Sylvan .. check your reg's.

D.

Old 02-17-2021, 07:50 PM

nice fish
Old 02-19-2021, 08:09 PM

Feb 19th .... that cold weather grew at least 3-4" ice, almost time to put the extension on, 27" to the water line today. Fishin was slow just before the big blow that's arriving this weekend.

D.

Old 02-21-2021, 01:41 PM

Feb 21st. Solo trip for a few hours this AM, ZIP must have overdone it on the popcorn (needs a new microwave).

Set up at 8 and left at 11:30, saw a few but not much interest. Switched to a big double tail jig to see if any walleye were in the area and the whites came cruising in for a look.

Taking the hint I added a white grub to my spoon/wire worm setup and BANG! 5 on the ice from 9-11. This always works for Sylvan whites.

No hesitation and I could see them spot it, turn and scream in straight for the WW. I use a Marcum Recon 5 (camera is the size of a AA battery) and they didn't even notice it.

Freezer is already full of 5 whites from the smoker so all fish today we're released to be caught again.

Beautiful day, was great to get out after a long, cold Feb of work!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Old 02-21-2021, 07:33 PM

Nicely done Scott ... unfortunately the Mrs had me workin today, at least my Candy Cane Y/O w/w produced.

D.

Old 02-21-2021, 07:40 PM

Fished Palm Bay, Sunbreaker and Half Moon over the course of the afternoon but super quiet. Didn't even mark. Windy as all hell drove us over to Snake Lake for a pint eventually.
Old 02-24-2021, 04:42 PM

out at RR23 yesterday and saw a couple lazy whites swim past. not interested in my wireworms.

I might try a different part of the lake tomorrow. any suggestions as to what depth and structure to find some whites out there? Im totally new to targeting them.
Old 02-24-2021, 06:03 PM

We fished off of Sunbreaker all day yesterday, from 7 to 16 FOW. Marked upward of 20 fish on the finder, but could barely convince two of them to nibble and painfully missed on both. Tried everything from W/Ws, spoons, jigs, Raps, tipped and untipped. Deadsticks had no action at all, took me a ton of patience jigging to get those two little nibbles, and my partner had no takers at all on his W/W setup. Very tough bite.
Old 02-25-2021, 07:42 PM

Feb 25th .... another slow & windy day out at Palm Bay. Started in 6 fow no fish, moved to 10 fow no fish, moved again to 14 fow, anchored over large patch of sand with weeds all around me, seen at least 10 Whites, but only one in pail on Brass with GB. Watched a small White try to eat my barrel swivel about 5-6 ft under ice while I was in 14 ft, downsized my w/w had a few more looks then a few light hits but missed them. Lots of guys went home by noon don't understand why, fish calendar said it would be best in the early afternoon, wrong again the low & big blow that went through had an impact on the fish, they were barely moving. Fishin may improve in a couple of days.

D.

Old 02-28-2021, 08:37 PM

Feb 28th … Scott & I were out early, moved from 12 to 18 then back to 14 fow, seen a dozen or more Whites, all but 2 totally ignored everything we tried. Seen a number on the camera that wouldn’t even come into the hole to take a look at our offerings. Snowed a bit in the am, perhaps that had impact on the fish, then turned out to be a Bty warm afternoon and fishin picked up, we both finally had a hit & hook-up. Not many weekends left got to share today with good company.

EDIT: Fishin Tip, work different depths, both of us got our Whites about 6 ft under the ice in 14 fow, they came screaming in and inhaled the w/w's.

D.

Interesting eats …

A belly full of escargot & shrimps …. this one hit a Brass W/W

Last edited by Zip-in-Z; 02-28-2021 at 08:59 PM.
Old 03-01-2021, 09:12 PM

All of our lake access roads will take a beating this week. It was 9C here today we now have a swimming pool next to our ice rinks.

Road off Sylvan Lane to Norglenwold is in better shape, I imagine by the weekend it could be sloppy.

Edit: F/B post from Town ... As Mother Nature continues to bless us with warm spring-like temperatures, it’s creating some issues for our lake skating rinks. That’s why, effective Wednesday March 3rd at 7:00 AM, the skating surfaces along the lake will be closed for the season, due to the warming conditions. The gate providing beach access off Lakeshore Drive will also be closed on Wednesday. Thanks to everyone who came out and enjoyed the ice!

See ....

Last edited by Zip-in-Z; 03-01-2021 at 09:36 PM.
Old 03-25-2021, 09:09 PM

Anybody have an update this week for truck access onto sylvan?
Old 03-26-2021, 04:46 PM

Noticed the 2021 Reg's are now out, looks like no changes for Sylvan, still can keep 1 Walleye any size, 0 Pike, 5 Perch, 5 Whites & 2 Burbs; but limit is 0 Burbs from Feb. 1 to Mar. 31, 2022.

I would of thought they would have changed it back to 0 Walleye retention, but not.

D.

Link ... https://albertaregulations.ca/2021-A...ikPq36cNV5V7Tc

Old 03-26-2021, 07:39 PM

thin the herd of the little ones
Old 03-26-2021, 08:34 PM

Anyone know if the access is still good at Norglenwold?
Old 03-26-2021, 08:38 PM

Never mind-just saw info on other post.
Cheers
Old 03-29-2021, 03:41 PM

Wind was gusting close to 90 km/h earlier, all the shacks/trailers are off & no one fishin, winds starting to diminish now gusting up to 70, forecast 14C on March 31, may have to go out one more time for the season closer.

D.