Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-15-2021, 04:54 PM

Default Tip percentage

What is the going rate to tip your Guide on a full day float on the bow?

1. Is it done on the cost percentage alone?
2. based on experience and amount people?

Thanks in advance
Old 08-15-2021, 05:30 PM

I don’t believe in magical set % with tips and think you should just go with what feels right according to how you enjoyed the experience

And this is the opinion of someone who was a fishing guide
Old 08-15-2021, 05:46 PM

I went about a month ago. We tipped $100 total for myself and girlfriend. Not sure if that was enough or too much. He seemed happy.
Old 08-15-2021, 10:32 PM

Wow had been planning to go on float someday but had never even considered the cost of tipping. Though since most are owner operator that price was set fairly
Old 08-16-2021, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacCowboy View Post
Wow had been planning to go on float someday but had never even considered the cost of tipping. Though since most are owner operator that price was set fairly

Tipping in this situation bugs me. You are paying for a guide/outfitter. They are not a waitress earning minimum wage.

IMO, the owner/operator should set his prices at a rate that makes him a profit and customers should not be guilted into an extra payout because the fish chose to bite that day.
Old 08-16-2021, 11:11 AM

All the year I ran a migratory hunting outfit I never suggested any tips. To the guides yes but never to me.

I good rule of thumb should be somewhere in the neighbor hood of 15% of what your fee's are. Keeping in mind if the guide is the owner then a smaller tip if you feel he earned one.
Old 08-16-2021, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishin' Fool View Post
Tipping in this situation bugs me. You are paying for a guide/outfitter. They are not a waitress earning minimum wage.

IMO, the owner/operator should set his prices at a rate that makes him a profit and customers should not be guilted into an extra payout because the fish chose to bite that day.
This right here is one of the reasons why I feel the idea of you must tip X amount is a negative way of thinking because it has taken away from the real reason to tip creating.

Giving someone a tip should be a means of showing ones appreciation for a service not because you feel the need to compensate someone do to them being poorly paid. I also don’t believe you should be obligated to tip and it should be based on how you felt about your experience only. A tip doesn’t need to be cash but can be an item that was made, purchased, or a personal belonging that you believe the individual would enjoy

I never had the attitude I was entitled to a tip or it should be a set amount. I also didn’t not judge clients on if they tipped or not but instead focused on how they acted. I appreciated clients that were friendly even if they didn’t tip over the disrespectful people who tipped well by far
Old 08-16-2021, 12:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
This right here is one of the reasons why I feel the idea of you must tip X amount is a negative way of thinking because it has taken away from the real reason to tip creating.

Giving someone a tip should be a means of showing ones appreciation for a service not because you feel the need to compensate someone do to them being poorly paid. I also don’t believe you should be obligated to tip and it should be based on how you felt about your experience only. A tip doesn’t need to be cash but can be an item that was made, purchased, or a personal belonging that you believe the individual would enjoy

I never had the attitude I was entitled to a tip or it should be a set amount. I also didn’t not judge clients on if they tipped or not but instead focused on how they acted. I appreciated clients that were friendly even if they didn’t tip over the disrespectful people who tipped well by far
Turn the $$ back to the A-holes?? Saw it happen this year in fact. Very proud of her for doing so. I think this "X" amount is a rough guideline request. You never feel you want to undertip because you don't understand the "Norm" It really applies to those who this is a new game. Though the whole owner operator thing makes me not want to tip so much.
Old 08-16-2021, 01:23 PM

I've only been out on a couple of guided trips, but like in a restaurant, I tip based on the experience. I tipped 20% when I went, but I enjoyed the time and what the guide did to make a successful trip.
Old 08-16-2021, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacCowboy View Post
Wow had been planning to go on float someday but had never even considered the cost of tipping.
Though since most are owner operator that price was set fairly
Add another "wow" for me, never knew this was a thing,
now I feel bad for not tipping my mechanic the other day..thought it was all in the price.
Old 08-16-2021, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
Add another "wow" for me, never knew this was a thing,
now I feel bad for not tipping my mechanic the other day..thought it was all in the price.
shame on you for not tipping that mechanic.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 08-16-2021, 05:00 PM

I'm heading out tomorrow for two-day Musky fishing in Ontario cost of the trip is already $1200 for the two days, I bought the guide a new fillet knife a new pair of pliers and probably leave him with a couple Ben Franklin if the trips is good. I spent twenty years surviving off guided tips was always much appreciated.
Old 08-16-2021, 08:45 PM

Why can't they charge what the trip is worth, and leave the tipping out of it?
No, let's make it a stupid guessing game.
Old 08-16-2021, 09:11 PM

To be honest I didn't even realize tipping a guide was a thing. I remember using Bon Chovy Fishing charters a while back. Never tipped a dime. Just paid the fee for the day and that was it.

Now you're all making me feel like the bad guy here.

Respect wildlife
Old 08-16-2021, 09:39 PM

Only been one guided fishing trip, guy worked his butt off, was fun & personable, and we caught more fish & learned more than 10 DIY.

Lost a couple expensive hooks, tipped the the guy 20%. He is O/O, made no difference to me.
Old 08-16-2021, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishin' Fool View Post

You have no problem tipping the person that walks your food 20' from the kitchen to your table. But you don't think that you should tip the guy that sweats his ass off all day in the heat of summer, rowing yours all over the river for 8 hours trying to keep you in the prime spots for as long as possible, likely while teaching you what to do, while trying to figure out what the fish want on that particular day and how he is going to get you to catch them.

I think you may be a little delusional on what guides actually get payed, especially if they are working for someone else. Many rely on the tip that you don't think is necessary to actually make a living doing what they love.

Last edited by Wes_G; 08-16-2021 at 10:07 PM.
Old 08-17-2021, 05:55 AM

I can tell you being a guide for 20 years and working in some of the bigger lodges in the Northwest Territories in Northern Saskatchewan we didn't see many Canadian tourists but the ones we did see we're always usually pretty cheap with the tips that's why most guides prefer American clientele. I don't know if it's the lack of not knowing that most of these people rely on their tips just like a waitress or that Canadians are just cheaper.
Old 08-17-2021, 06:38 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuyFishin View Post
To be honest I didn't even realize tipping a guide was a thing. I remember using Bon Chovy Fishing charters a while back. Never tipped a dime. Just paid the fee for the day and that was it.

Now you're all making me feel like the bad guy here.
Same.....tip etc should be all included in the price to go out for a day....just saying.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-17-2021, 06:45 AM

When someone is doing extra work that they don't really have to, I tip. If he's trying to get you some results then he might deserve a little extra. If he's just along for the ride with a "you win some, you lose some" attitude then a couple hundred turns into $0.

We went on a fishing charter and when I paid, there wasn't an option to tip on the machine. That guy deserved one. He was awesome.

I don't get when I go to fatburger or subway and they have a tip option I wonder what they think they did to deserve it. And that makes me uncomfortable and not want to go back there.
Old 08-17-2021, 06:54 AM

I am surprised how many believe a tip should be included in the price. It drives me nuts when a business does this and will even avoid them because of it. Like I posted earlier I believe a tip is earned by good service and not something that the person is just entitled to

When it is tacked onto the bill regardless of service it’s just not right in my opinion.
Old 08-17-2021, 07:01 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
I am surprised how many believe a tip should be included in the price. It drives me nuts when a business does this and will even avoid them because of it. Like I posted earlier I believe a tip is earned by good service and not something that the person is just entitled to

When it is tacked onto the bill regardless of service it’s just not right in my opinion.
Perhaps just a hidden cost that you, we wouldn’t even notice...

We did tip when we went sturgeon fishing but we hammered them and were supposed to be on the water for two 8 hour days just enjoyed each other and had a blast well past the expected 8 hour days and fish caught....I guess it’s all what the client feels like doing after all it’s their money....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-17-2021, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Perhaps just a hidden cost that you, we wouldn’t even notice...

We did tip when we went sturgeon fishing but we hammered them and were supposed to be on the water for two 8 hour days just enjoyed each other and had a blast well past the expected 8 hour days and fish caught....I guess it’s all what the client feels like doing after all it’s their money....
Tipping based on your experience, giving what you feel is right and because you feel they earned it is the only way it should be in my opinion

Mandatory tipping, set %, and tacking it onto the bill just seem wrong to me when the principles of a tip are based on showing appreciation for good service

I felt this way when I worked as a guide for a few seasons and I still believe the same principles should apply. I treated all my clients according to their attitude and not once did I frown at those who didn’t tip. My favorite clients were the ones I enjoyed the day with it was not about the tip.
Old 08-17-2021, 09:13 AM

I hate tipping in any industry. No I am not cheap. Just pay a decent wage and charge what you want me to pay, I'll make a decision on whether or not to support your business on that. Tip hints on the debit machines at restaurants that I pick up food at are the worst. You want a tip for handing me a bag?

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-17-2021, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I hate tipping in any industry. No I am not cheap. Just pay a decent wage and charge what you want me to pay, I'll make a decision on whether or not to support your business on that. Tip hints on the debit machines at restaurants that I pick up food at are the worst. You want a tip for handing me a bag?
I agree. Hate going to fast food order in restaurants and being asked to tip.

Especially icecream trucks that charge me 7 dollars for an icecream cone and asking for a tip haha

Respect wildlife
Old 08-17-2021, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
What is the going rate to tip your Guide on a full day float on the bow?

1. Is it done on the cost percentage alone?
2. based on experience and amount people?

Thanks in advance
1) put me on fish, then I am happy.
2) Too much guide talking, annoys me. Shut up! Fish….

Meet this criteria. $$$$ Bonus.
Old 08-17-2021, 09:41 AM

if you were out on a 3 day guided fishing trip would you tip after each day or on the last day.
Old 08-17-2021, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish99 View Post
if you were out on a 3 day guided fishing trip would you tip after each day or on the last day.
Depends if you have same guide all three days, or different daily guides.
Old 08-17-2021, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmtada View Post
Depends if you have same guide all three days, or different daily guides.
same guide every day
Old 08-18-2021, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish99 View Post
Same guide. I tip on the last day.
Old 08-19-2021, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes_G View Post
.."You have no problem tipping the person that walks your food 20' from the kitchen to your table.
But you don't think that you should tip the guy that sweats his ass off all day in the heat of summer.."
Now I'm feeling bad & trying to figure out how i can successfully walk into a EIA hanger & tip
the airliner mechanics..alas, tips and the mind games thereof..