Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-04-2021, 07:26 PM

Default oldman downstream of lethbridge

can anyone tell me if i would be able to kayak the oldman downstream of lethbridge. Looking at google street view, there looks like an access point where the 845 crosses. can anyone say what the water is like, if anchoring a kayak is doable and if there is in fact an access point there. Just looking to hook in to a variety of fish somewhere new, not targeting anything specific.

thanks in advance
Old 09-05-2021, 12:07 AM

Although I have never done what you are talking about, the water in the river right now is low and slow. If there is any kind of a wind you may end up going upstream and not down. You should have no problem anchoring. There is access at the 845 but you will not be able to drive to the edge of the river so will need to be able to carry your boat up the hill to the side of the highway to load it.
Old 09-05-2021, 09:40 AM

Go to the taber bridge. Theirs a boat launch on the west side of the river and parking. We fish there and it can be slow and the gold eye are always stealing your bait
Old 09-05-2021, 05:13 PM

You can drive down to the waters edge under the Nolan bridge (845)... Theres a trail that turns off the highway from the northbound lanes on the north side of the bridge. I've seen people parked down there several times and have driven down there personally once when scouting it as a take out. Have yet to do that float from Lethbridge but its on the to do list. Hope this helps👍
Old 09-05-2021, 07:33 PM

Thanks folks, the extra bit of driving to a boat launch may be worth it to avoid an awkward drag to and from the water.
What water depths would I find this time of year. I'm guessing glodeye, walleye, pike and suckers.
Old 09-06-2021, 09:55 AM

You can most likely walk across in most places especially with the severe dry conditions this yr.