Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-09-2021, 09:49 AM

Default Spinners for pike and others

So the lure-building hobby has me getting a wire bending tool, as a side benefit I can use it to make spinners.

So first off what are the go-to colors, blade types, and sizes for pike. I do fish trout at the odd time so any info there is also welcome.
Old 09-09-2021, 10:14 AM

Anything that resembles a panther Martin for trout
Old 09-09-2021, 10:19 AM

I've had good luck with a blue and silver blue fox Spinner, though the blue paint came off the body and it's all silver now but still works, caught some walleye on it as well. I've also had luck with a cheap dollar store spinner with a red body and a rooster tail that looks like it's made from yarn lol.

As for trout I don't usually have a ton of luck but have gotten some bites on a black and yellow one.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 09-09-2021, 10:38 AM

#9 blade flashabou style bucktails. Blades I have always used gold or silver but use a wide range of colors of flashabou for variety

I stopped making these to sell but still make some for personal use because they are effective
Old 09-09-2021, 08:37 PM

It's my opinion that how the lure is fished, depth, speed, action, size, vibration from a given lure is far more important compared to color particularly with pike who are sensory feeders.

Having said that - the colors I tend to gravitate to based on conditions are ...

Overcast/darker days = a Black/Gold, Black/Brass, Red/Black and other darks ...

Bright/Sunny = Fire tigers, White Silver, White/Silver, Chartreuse etc...

Best lures for me are large, noisy and heavy lures fished fast when the fish are aggressive and smaller lures and softer profiles when fish are in a negative or lazy mood.
Old 09-11-2021, 09:46 AM

pink blade spinner for pike and red for trout works for me
Old 09-11-2021, 01:16 PM

If you can get your hands on them these Master spinners with heavy jig like heads are absolute killers when fishing deeper waters. I used them for both walleye and pike and they can be used pretty much like jigs in bottom bouncing way. They come in difference sizes and weights and colors. You can cast them way longer distances compared to regular spinners too.

https://oldfisher.com.ua/vrashhayush...sp-gold-e.html
Old 09-12-2021, 10:09 AM
Gone Hunting

I've had pike grab my rod tip, my paddle and just about anything that moves in or on the water near them.

Seems to me the primary considerations are how visible a lure is and how much it moves.

Think flash. If you watch a school of minnows they can be hard to see one minute and shine like a mirror the next. That triggers a pike to strike even when they don't seem to see the minnow itself.

So that's what I look for in a pike lure. I catch more pike then any other species.

I like silver, chrome or brass lures. Brass on bright days with clear or somewhat clear water.
Silver or Chrome for dull days and murky water.

Flexibility is key. No one thing is the magic bullet. One day they strike anything that moves, the next they may only strike at minnow like lures or slow moving lures.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 09-12-2021, 10:36 AM

My experience has been that the flash of a blade is dependant on water clarity. Turbid or dirty water requires plenty of bling, while clear needs subtle shades. More so for trout than slash happy pike. I personally would be more interested in a spinner balanced around a single barbless hook, before blade choice.
Old 09-16-2021, 03:02 PM

My prefference is for a spinner with a gold or silver blade, and substancial body in blue, orange, or chartruse. IMO the strobe effect of the colored body blinking in and out as the blade goes by can often be a trigger.

I run single hooks on my spinners, and if the water is really dirty I just add a brightly colored twister tail to help it stand out. In my findings, for tails or skirts, white seems to work about as well as anything. It stands out in most water conditions but is still very natural.
Old 09-16-2021, 04:13 PM

Thanks for the reply folks looks like I will have a busy winter building lures

For pike, it looks like I'll be building it off a #8 or 9 blade the bender out of the box only can only bend .041 wire and it seems the musky folks like .051. There is a conversion kit for the heavier wire but since I am not making musky sized lures maybe it's not needed.

Knocking off Mepps or rooster tails seems to be, buy the components off of the chart, and you are set.
Old 09-16-2021, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aulrich View Post
Thanks for the reply folks looks like I will have a busy winter building lures

For pike, it looks like I'll be building it off a #8 or 9 blade the bender out of the box only can only bend .041 wire and it seems the musky folks like .051. There is a conversion kit for the heavier wire but since I am not making musky sized lures maybe it's not needed.

Knocking off Mepps or rooster tails seems to be, buy the components off of the chart, and you are set.
Which bender do you have?

Mine say .041 max without the conversion kit but I bend .051 all the time. So you might want to give it a try

If your doing trout spinners I have a bunch of gold and silver panther Martin style blades I believe #6s. If your interested maybe we could make a trade
Old 09-16-2021, 04:56 PM

It's from the parts supply shop out east so I think a custom branded Hagen

Always open to trade
Old 09-16-2021, 05:12 PM

I buy many Musky spinners from Rollie and Helen'd Musky shop - these are big, loud, and make lots of noise and vibration in the water - perfect for those aggressive pike ....

https://www.muskyshop.com/collections/bucktails

I have also bought components and made some of my own .....
Old 09-16-2021, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aulrich View Post
It's from the parts supply shop out east so I think a custom branded Hagen

Always open to trade
Same one I have then

I will see what I have but I think it’s around 100 blades

If your up for trading me some large swimbaits for pike PM me your mailing information. I am not using the blades so just send me whatever you feel is fair in return

Last edited by Smoky buck; 09-16-2021 at 05:40 PM.