Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-22-2021, 09:17 AM

Default Suggestion for Lesser Slave Sep 6-10

Still trying to find a place to go Walleye fishing the week of September 5 and considering Slave lake. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We have our own boat and camper and Springer Spaniel that goes everywhere with us.
Old 08-23-2021, 06:36 AM

Slave will be pretty slow come that time.
Old 08-23-2021, 07:11 AM

I like Spruce Point, good facilities and they have a marina so you can rent a berth and not have the hassle of loading/unloading boat Great if you are staying several days. Good access to several great fishing spots
Old 08-27-2021, 10:27 AM

The suggestion about the berth rental is a good one. We went there August long weekend and stayed in the town at a hotel. (We don't have camping gear, and I had free nights with my points).

That said, had to launch & Load every day from the municipal boat launch, of which, the water is extremely low. This resulted in almost needing the row a couple spots and some more skeg damage, plus added time to/from (1 hr both ways) as there is a long no wake from the launch, under the bridge, and to the lake.

Docking to a berth and just going seems like a far better idea.

Once on the water though...the fishing was fantastic. We had the best success on deep drop offs in 30-40 ft range, trolling at 2.3 km/hr with deep diving crankbaits. We found this was the best way to cover more ground to find the fish. Feel free to shoot me a message and I can show you where we had the most luck.
Had one that hit harder than I've ever felt, then broke my line..

If you do the Spruce point idea, its not too far from the narrows that will have fish 100% of the time year round.

Hope that helps!
Old 09-08-2021, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMauthe View Post
Still trying to find a place to go Walleye fishing the week of September 5 and considering Slave lake. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We have our own boat and camper and Springer Spaniel that goes everywhere with us.

Was there last weekend of august and we had good success in about 30 feet of water using a bottom bouncer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-14-2021, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricYYC View Post
Was there last weekend of august and we had good success in about 30 feet of water using a bottom bouncer
Trolling with a deep diving crank bait that'll get down 30 ft works (worked) very well too.

Last edited by dmeinder; 09-14-2021 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Typo