Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-24-2021, 01:16 AM

Default Brook trout out west

Hello everyone I was wondering if you could point me to a area/lake with brookies. I'm not looking for size any
creeks/lakes?I was thinking peppers or yellowhead lake.
Old 09-24-2021, 02:09 PM

Peppers might be ok. Might be busy too. I always caught a few brookies on the red deer river between sundre and glennifer dam. Creeks like Prairie creek's south fork, known as Vetch creek, always had brookies to 10 or so inches around beaver dams. Muskiki or Fairfax lake might be good too. Fairfax is easy to get to.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 09-24-2021, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Peppers might be ok. Might be busy too. I always caught a few brookies on the red deer river between sundre and glennifer dam. Creeks like Prairie creek's south fork, known as Vetch creek, always had brookies to 10 or so inches around beaver dams. Muskiki or Fairfax lake might be good too. Fairfax is easy to get to.
They haven’t stocked brookies in Muskiki or Fairfax for many years.
Old 09-24-2021, 07:39 PM

Isn't Maligne still open? That is a brookie factory in the fall. Some very cool color variations as well!

Drewski
Old 09-26-2021, 09:14 AM

I'm not sure exactly where you're located, but Butcher's near Pincher Creek is a nice little lake that gives you a great shot at catching 12-18in brookies.
Old 09-26-2021, 09:51 AM

This is a list of Brook trout spots in Alberta

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o87ut3w30d...erta.docx?dl=0
Old 09-26-2021, 10:54 AM

Funny thing is years and years ago there were brookies in Obed Lake. They seemed to be naturally reproducing, as they had not been stocked in years.

Have not heard of anyone catching brookies in Obed for decades. However, it should be a candidate for re stocking just in case a population could take hold and be self sustaining.

Hot spot for Brookies was the east end on the rock point where the cabins were.

Drewski
Old 09-26-2021, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
Funny thing is years and years ago there were brookies in Obed Lake. They seemed to be naturally reproducing, as they had not been stocked in years.

Have not heard of anyone catching brookies in Obed for decades. However, it should be a candidate for re stocking just in case a population could take hold and be self sustaining.

Drewski

Neat! Never knew this. Sounds like a good idea to add some brookies in the mix. That would kick that place up a notch.
Old 09-27-2021, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post

Drewski
That is true. The water backed right out from the lake to the highway and you could catch them in the ditches. They are all gone now but there are a few rainbows over 5 pounds now from a couple years ago. And there were a few Lakers at one time !