Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-18-2015, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdverseCity View Post
As much as I love having both the camera and flasher in my LX-9 I'd rather 2 separate units. Using both at once is annoying and uses a lot of battery. 2 units would mean 2 batteries and a full screen for each one. I don't often use both at the same time but when I do I'd prefer having them as separate units.
X2
I have a Marcum sonar and a separate camera...works exactly as you described although crowds up the little tent a bit
Old 12-18-2015, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKSniper View Post
I recently picked up the Marcum LX-3 on sale for $500 at fishin hole. I did my research first and decided this was the best bang for my buck (at least while on sale). It has the bigger battery than the Lx-1 and more output power as well. So far I am extremely happy with it, I think it was a very good investment.
Meee tooo well wife got it for me for christmas and now I'm playing waiting game before I can use it
Old 12-18-2015, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerguy View Post
I love the 5, was using it the other day, she is my baby lol I'd sell the 9 long before I sell the 5 lol

Does your 778 have a gps function? That is something I am really looking for.

Ya my 778cx HD has GPS but needs an antenna. I use an older e-trex GPS I got for $20 and made my own output cable for. Used a USB wire so I can unplug it from the 778. Only cause HB wants too much for their antenna.

Told you I'm cheap. I'll macgyver anything to save from buying what IMO is over-priced.

It doesn't chart-plot but saves tracks automatically which really helps when zippin around sketchy lakes.

I'll post a pic of my "rig" to give you guys a laugh. AGM battery from a mobility scooter, on foam, in a milk-crate along with the 778 & e-trex, and transom ducer mounted on a broom-stick.

I might be a red neck. lol. Works quite well and easy to pack. The ducer used to give me grief and I considered getting the ice-ducer. But at $100 it seems more practical to spend $300 for the whole package Ice-35. And I need a 2nd unit for buddies and kids.
Old 12-18-2015, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayDoh View Post
Humminbird ice 35. On sale at Canadian Tire for $350 right now. Print off the online product page showing the sale price and go into the fishin hole and they'll match the price.
Only cause CT is out of stock almost everywhere.

If you can afford a marcum go for it, but in my opinion it's not worth the extra $200-$300 or more.
The fishin hole will only price match if there is a CT location that has it in stock locally. No retailer will price match on hypothetical sale prices where the flyer goes out but the place only has one in stock...unless they can phone the store and confirm current stock you're out of luck.
Old 12-18-2015, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the pilot cock View Post
The fishin hole will only price match if there is a CT location that has it in stock locally. No retailer will price match on hypothetical sale prices where the flyer goes out but the place only has one in stock...unless they can phone the store and confirm current stock you're out of luck.
I've never had a place call up another store and check stock of sale items at every location. And I've price matched a lot. Yet I wont pretend to know what every retailer will or wont do......

Its not a "hypothetical" sale, its an advertised price. CT will order any amount you want in and give you rainchecks for them.

Only takes a week to come in, if everyone and his uncle goes out and buys the instock supply up. Happened to me on my Eskimo tent too.

Bottom line is if Fishin hole wouldn't match prices, then its their loss really. I guarantee you Cabela's or BPS wont be calling around town.
Old 12-18-2015, 01:45 PM

What about for lakes like Cold Lake?

Would the humminbird 35 be advanced enough for a lake of that depth?

I'm sure depths like that would narrow flashers down to a few that would work..
Old 12-18-2015, 02:57 PM

Not sure about the 35, but I used a 55 and seemed to be ok but needed to be on the narrow transducer cone to be able to see anything down deep (150ft) and needed the gain set pretty high, even then it would loose the jig somtimes. I got the feeling it was not as powerfull as my summer time fish finder. The 35 has less power so it might be border line at 150ft, would like to know as I am in the marker for one as well.

Problem with the Marcums is that they only go to 160ft in the actual non-Lcd flasher models. The Vlexiar's only have zoom in the fl18's and better and the transducers they come with are only single cone width.
Old 12-18-2015, 07:43 PM

Product info says the 35 is good for 200'
http://www.humminbird.com/Products/ICE-35/
Old 12-18-2015, 07:48 PM

Might have to make a trip to the local Canadian Tire and check out the Humminbird sonar.
Old 12-18-2015, 07:51 PM

Neither have done that for my price matches. I guess it depends on who you get.
Old 12-18-2015, 08:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROA View Post
Not sure about the 35, but I used a 55 and seemed to be ok but needed to be on the narrow transducer cone to be able to see anything down deep (150ft) and needed the gain set pretty high, even then it would loose the jig somtimes. I got the feeling it was not as powerfull as my summer time fish finder. The 35 has less power so it might be border line at 150ft, would like to know as I am in the marker for one as well.

Problem with the Marcums is that they only go to 160ft in the actual non-Lcd flasher models. The Vlexiar's only have zoom in the fl18's and better and the transducers they come with are only single cone width.
Where are you fishing deeper then 160' ?
Old 12-20-2015, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerguy View Post
Where are you fishing deeper then 160' ?
Cold Lake.
Old 12-20-2015, 02:58 PM

Default Do your research

Do your research and you will see why an 800 watt with a wide beam is not ideal for plAces like cold lake no matter what some sales guy pitches you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lromanchuk View Post
What about for lakes like Cold Lake?

Would the humminbird 35 be advanced enough for a lake of that depth?

I'm sure depths like that would narrow flashers down to a few that would work..
Old 12-20-2015, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayDoh View Post
I've never had a place call up another store and check stock of sale items at every location. And I've price matched a lot. Yet I wont pretend to know what every retailer will or wont do......

Its not a "hypothetical" sale, its an advertised price. CT will order any amount you want in and give you rainchecks for them.

Only takes a week to come in, if everyone and his uncle goes out and buys the instock supply up. Happened to me on my Eskimo tent too.

Bottom line is if Fishin hole wouldn't match prices, then its their loss really. I guarantee you Cabela's or BPS wont be calling around town.
I have had both Cabela's and the fishing hole confirm stock. There is currently an item at WSS that I'd rather buy at the fishin hole and I was told that they will only price match once they've confirmed stock. There are stores that post sales in flyers but have no stock just to get people in the door... Case in point, Cabela's October flyer had a candle that the wife wanted. Great price but not a single one in stock at any store in Canada and the item was on backorder with the vendor. It's a common retail strategy. Might not be something CT does, but it definitely happens.