Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-27-2010, 08:50 AM

Default 300 RUm discontinued

hey some one informed me that remington is discontinueing the 300RUM but he couldnt come up wth actual proof,
my question is
Is there any fact or proof or weight to this ???????
Old 04-27-2010, 10:22 AM

I'm not sure, but I say good riddance to it!
Old 04-27-2010, 11:17 AM

Judging by Remingtons own website I'd say thats an unsubstantiated rumor you've got there. Scroll down to .300RUM and you'll note only one of those models is being discontinued (bears the asterisk).

http://www.remington.com/pages/news-...bycaliber.aspx
Old 04-27-2010, 11:26 AM

I love mine, you know what they say.......bigger is always better!!!
Old 04-27-2010, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullpike View Post
I love mine, you know what they say.......bigger is always better!!!
Thats why I got rid of my 300 rum and bought a 30-378 Weatherby
Old 04-27-2010, 04:29 PM

Hope not. I was thinking it might be cool to have one. I noticed Rem has come out with a new line of ammo for the RUM. There are three different configurations, one aproximating the performance of a 30-06, one aproximating the performance of a .300WinMag, and one full-on RUM round. Who knows if it works, but it sounds like it would provide a lot of choice and versatility (3 guns in one?), at least to a ballistic dolt like me.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Hope not. I was thinking it might be cool to have one. I noticed Rem has come out with a new line of ammo for the RUM. There are three different configurations, one aproximating the performance of a 30-06, one aproximating the performance of a .300WinMag, and one full-on RUM round. Who knows if it works, but it sounds like it would provide a lot of choice and versatility (3 guns in one?), at least to a ballistic dolt like me.
That ammo has been around for several years now. I imagine if they had any bugs in it they would probably have been worked out by now. That is my assumption anyway as I don't have that caliber
Old 04-27-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawfy View Post
Thats why I got rid of my 300 rum and bought a 30-378 Weatherby
You may want to compare actual real world load data and chronographed results.....the two are within 25 fps with the heavier bullets the RUM pulls away....more efficient cartridge.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyV View Post
You may want to compare actual real world load data and chronographed results.....the two are within 25 fps with the heavier bullets the RUM pulls away....more efficient cartridge.
So are you saying you have taken the two cartridges and the exact same ammunition for both and done this real world test and those were your results. Not that I am a ballistics expert but if I go to say Conley Precision Ballistics charts the information there is no where near what you are telling me even with the heavier bullets. Is there that much false information being given out with ballistics to try and produce better sales.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:36 PM

Quote:
where could I check out this real world load data. If I look at Conley Precision Ballistics Charts there data is no where near what you have discribed even with the heavier bullets. Is there that much false information in the world of ballistics to improve sales.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:50 PM

sorry not trying to be a smart@@@ but computer went down and first message was not sent but apparently it did.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:11 PM

Quote:
My own chronograph results show a difference of about 100fps in favor of the 30-378.It offers more case capacity,and therefore more velocity potential.However,I prefer the 300RUM myself,due to much lower brass prices,slightly less recoil,and a slightly longer barrel life.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:25 PM

Quote:

more efficient cartridge...
More case capacity means more speed. The end. Both are not considered EFFICIENT.

When I had my 338RUM I could shoot a 200gr ballistic tip flatter to 500yds than a 300Rum could shoot a 200gr ballistic tip. Or accubond or whatever they were. It was a while ago. I find a lot of 300Rum guys think its the best ever but can not find one to shoot over my chrony. The truth hurts.

WOODY
CSSA NFAMember
Old 04-27-2010, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
My own chronograph results show a difference of about 100fps in favor of the 30-378.It offers more case capacity,and therefore more velocity potential.However,I prefer the 300RUM myself,due to much lower brass prices,slightly less recoil,and a slightly longer barrel life.
I own both calibers....the 30-378 in the accumark with a 28" barrel and a remington 300 RUM in a Sendero with a 26" Barrel. I have loaded both calibers to the point of showing signs of pressure while chronographing and they are close LIKE REALLY close HOWEVER...when it comes to the story of the store bought factory ammo vs factory ammo that is where the weatherby has the upper hand. Even aside from my experimentation check out both the hornady and nosler load data and you will be surprised. The biggest advantage I see to the RUM is the velocitys are sooo close yet it has a barrel that is 2" shorter. In either case I have found the RUM far easier to get consistent accuracy and the most speed while maintaining accuracy. The 30-378 I have yet to touch my RUM's accurate velocity with the like. However they are both great .30's and they both have their following. I have always been remington guy but after listening to enough biased hype of the 30-378 from friends and others I felt the need to find out really what it all would boil down to if some real world comparisons were to take place....and so I own BOTH LOL.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppaW View Post
more efficient cartridge...
More case capacity means more speed. The end. Both are not considered EFFICIENT.

When I had my 338RUM I could shoot a 200gr ballistic tip flatter to 500yds than a 300Rum could shoot a 200gr ballistic tip. Or accubond or whatever they were. It was a while ago. I find a lot of 300Rum guys think its the best ever but can not find one to shoot over my chrony. The truth hurts.
Not sure what your are trying to say but if you were so familiar with the RUM family the .300 has a slightly bigger case capacity than the .338 or the .375. I own all three calibers. This being the reason the .338 EDGE is based on the .300 case not the .338 case. Each to their own like anything though
Old 04-28-2010, 05:51 AM

Quote:
The biggest advantage I see to the RUM is the velocitys are sooo close yet it has a barrel that is 2" shorter.
Actually the Accumarks effective barrel length is 26",the extra 2" is due to the muzzle brake.You can remove the muzzle brake with no loss in velocity.

http://www.weatherby.com/product/rifles/markv/accumark
Old 04-28-2010, 09:37 AM

Quote:
I own both calibers....the 30-378 in the accumark with a 28" barrel and a remington 300 RUM in a Sendero with a 26" Barrel. I have loaded both calibers to the point of showing signs of pressure while chronographing and they are close LIKE REALLY close HOWEVER...when it comes to the story of the store bought factory ammo vs factory ammo that is where the weatherby has the upper hand. Even aside from my experimentation check out both the hornady and nosler load data and you will be surprised. The biggest advantage I see to the RUM is the velocitys are sooo close yet it has a barrel that is 2" shorter. In either case I have found the RUM far easier to get consistent accuracy and the most speed while maintaining accuracy. The 30-378 I have yet to touch my RUM's accurate velocity with the like. However they are both great .30's and they both have their following. I have always been remington guy but after listening to enough biased hype of the 30-378 from friends and others I felt the need to find out really what it all would boil down to if some real world comparisons were to take place....and so I own BOTH LOL.

Yes your statement would probably be more accurate if using handloads over the Factory loads. From what I have read reloaders are finding it hard to match the performance of the factory loaded 30-378. It sounds like Weatherby uses a blended powder. I did like my 300 rum accuracy just was'nt keen on the Remington gun itself as I had way to many feeding problems with the gun.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:36 PM

My buddy loaded up his 30-378 with pretty much max load of retumbo and 180 grain nosler accubonds. We went to the range and after setting the chrony out 20' away he shot through it. 3520 fps!!!! Got a few buddies with the 300 ultra mag that reload for it and they barely get over the 3300 mark before their bolts start sticking. Think I'll stick to my 300 win mag and its lowly 3000fps mark.

ruger300
Old 04-28-2010, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Got a few buddies with the 300 ultra mag that reload for it and they barely get over the 3300 mark before their bolts start sticking.
I have owned two 300RUM rifles,and both would produce 3380fps with the 180gr TSX with good brass life.A hunting acquaintance used the same bullet in his 30-378 and tops out at under 3500fps before pressure signs start to appear.All three rifles had 26" barrels.
Old 04-29-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger300 View Post
My buddy loaded up his 30-378 with pretty much max load of retumbo and 180 grain nosler accubonds. We went to the range and after setting the chrony out 20' away he shot through it. 3520 fps!!!! Got a few buddies with the 300 ultra mag that reload for it and they barely get over the 3300 mark before their bolts start sticking. Think I'll stick to my 300 win mag and its lowly 3000fps mark.

ruger300
Gee, thats not even enough for a yearling whitetail doe.lol