Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-28-2010, 06:23 PM

Default Reloading in the garage?

All the pics of guy's loading benches seem to be in the basement or seprate room.I was thinking of starting to reload and would like make my bench in the garage or is this not good.I would keep my powder inside and then take it out with me to load up.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redranger15 View Post
All the pics of guy's loading benches seem to be in the basement or seprate room.I was thinking of starting to reload and would like make my bench in the garage or is this not good.I would keep my powder inside and then take it out with me to load up.
My garage is where my stuff is set up. It's insulated and dry ,I use a construction heater in the winter when i need it. Works good for me, never any issue with moisture or anything else.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:33 PM

Mine is in the basement, but the garage would work. Just don't have the door open when weighing charges.lol Make sure it isn't damp out there. Could rust things or ruin primers or powder.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:39 PM

Ya definately keep the door closed when working in there. Lookee loo neighbors will think you building bombs or something.....

One piece of advice before you build your bench. Most garage floors are sloped, so not very level. Attach your bench to the studs in the wall and build it level all the way around and make sure its sturdy. You would be amazed at the force a reloading press can dish out.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:39 PM

can't see why it wouldn't work in a garage....as long as you have room, light and peace.....I would agree with everyone re: the dampness.
I have had a couple of garages where I could see a reloading bench set up....
Old 04-28-2010, 07:15 PM

Weve been reloading in dads garage for 25 yrs and never had any problems
Old 04-28-2010, 07:45 PM

Do you guys keep your powder in there all year? Mine isn't insulated but I can't see myself doing to much loading in the winter.Sounds like I'm in business.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:20 PM

My garage is heated s I keep my powder in there, no sweat, but i also make sure I keep it at a constant temperature in the winter.
I load year 'round in there as well as my basement, in fact i just finished up 500 rounds of 28 gauge skeet loads !
Cat
Old 04-28-2010, 11:40 PM

I drilled and threaded right into my Welding table. I do all my reloading in the garage, because I do not want the brass filings, lead, powder, primers, glass from the primer pockets in my carpet.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 04-29-2010, 08:04 AM

I keep my reloading supplies in the closet and when it's time to reload I use C-clamps and attach my press to the coffee table in the livingroom. Yeah. I know. I might be a redneck. Really need to get a bench set up in my shed.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:12 PM

We are building a new Garage in the next few weeks, and I'm looking forward to building a new bench and moving all of my gear from our cramped basement out to this new very spacious facility, yahoo. FS