Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-28-2009, 04:14 PM

Default Lake Suggestions?

I'm having trouble identifying a lake to hit for a couple of hours on Sunday and wonder if anyone has a suggestion? I am traveling from Cochrane to Edmonton and figure there must be a lake not far off the route? Would prefer to catch a few perch, as I have the better half willing to come out! We had great luck at Carson (with maggots) not long ago so trout wouldnt be a first choice.

I am not intrested in Whitefish this trip, so Gull, and Pigeon are probably out? I have never fished Sylvan. We stopped at Pine Lake last time and got skunked for the second time there (0 for 2) so I'm not up for that lake again. Cow lake sounds like its slow and if I remember right its further West than I want to detour. Is Wizard worth trying? What else is out that way?

Thanks for any ideas.
kidd
Old 01-28-2009, 04:19 PM

i wouldn't count gull out for perch, sylvan can be fun too though; both can be good on the right day, you just gotta pick the right day lol (@ least in my experiences)
cheers
Old 01-28-2009, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidd View Post
I'm having trouble identifying a lake to hit for a couple of hours on Sunday and wonder if anyone has a suggestion? I am traveling from Cochrane to Edmonton and figure there must be a lake not far off the route? Would prefer to catch a few perch, as I have the better half willing to come out! We had great luck at Carson (with maggots) not long ago so trout wouldnt be a first choice.

I am not intrested in Whitefish this trip, so Gull, and Pigeon are probably out? I have never fished Sylvan. We stopped at Pine Lake last time and got skunked for the second time there (0 for 2) so I'm not up for that lake again. Cow lake sounds like its slow and if I remember right its further West than I want to detour. Is Wizard worth trying? What else is out that way?

Thanks for any ideas.
kidd
When you were at gull what kind of hooks were using with magotts?? If you like walleye or pike you should check out pigeon!
Old 01-29-2009, 01:57 PM

Default Maggots

Gonefishn, it was Carson that we used maggots on a small teardrop hook. At Gull all I have used is the wire worms. sounds like I will try either Gull or Sylvan for perch. I imagine that I access Sylvan right at the beach on the south side?
kidd
Old 01-29-2009, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidd View Post
Gonefishn, it was Carson that we used maggots on a small teardrop hook. At Gull all I have used is the wire worms. sounds like I will try either Gull or Sylvan for perch. I imagine that I access Sylvan right at the beach on the south side?
kidd
If I were you, I would go to gull, lots of perch there!! sylvan is very slow right now.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:15 PM

South Buck lake used to have some nice perch in it, also walleye if I,m not mistaken. I do not know if it still produces. It is not to far off of Hwy 22. Maybe some of the people on here from Drayton Valley can give you a heads up. There also used to be a little stocked trout pond called Sardine lake in that general area. (Breton?)
Old 01-29-2009, 10:37 PM

South Buck has been also very slow for all species. Around New years I did manage some nice pike 4-8lbs.

I have also concetrated on the Whites and you might see 5-8 all day sight fishing. One or two will bite a wireworm.

I have tried many different spots,different lures and bait but the fish are not active. I am sure it will pick up.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:08 AM

Default Thanks

thanks everyone for your ideas. I will make a "game time decision" either Gull or Pigeon. Will post results. sounds like the fishin is slow all around.
kidd
Old 01-30-2009, 08:46 AM

you should try buffalo lake(north of stettler on highway 56 and then go to rochon sands). The ling(burbot) and jackfish have been good.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:05 PM

Default I guess its gull

Thanks again everyone for the ideas. I think we will head out in the morning to Gull. I will let you know how it goes. Targeting perch only, however. No patience for whitefish tomorrow.
I was at Ghost Reservoir today for two hours with only one light bite. I didnt have a tent but I was impressed with how clear the water is there. Guys were fishing for Rockys and I have to admit I dont know how to fish for them through the ice. I tried the usual things for Lake Whitefish but no luck.
kidd