Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 05-16-2016, 02:08 PM

Most likely due to the membership issue...those not from the area, don't want to buy a membership they will never use again on top of cost of getting there lodging , meals etc

I understand there was most likely the insurance scenario...but if they are going to hold shoots where numbers are to be expected ..they may have to rethink the shoot, insurance and membership issue...

That would have a been a nice shoot with no huge crowd ...

Neil
Old 05-16-2016, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
Most likely due to the membership issue...those not from the area, don't want to buy a membership they will never use again on top of cost of getting there lodging , meals etc

I understand there was most likely the insurance scenario...but if they are going to hold shoots where numbers are to be expected ..they may have to rethink the shoot, insurance and membership issue...

Neil
Guys from Killam and Whitecourt came down and bought memberships to shoot in this one, now they are ready for the next one in August. The membership cost is so economical it's cheaper than attending a single shoot.

Was a one day fun shoot, no lodging required. Just attendance and a smile.

LC
Old 05-16-2016, 02:39 PM

I would like to say that this was a great time for the first 3D shoot that i have ever went to. Big shout out to the ones that did all the work to get this course looking like it did. Really Liked the New Hunting Scoring System. Once again i would really like to say thanks to the ones that put this event on.

Colton.
Old 05-16-2016, 04:02 PM

Quote:

Neil
That's the thing. We aren't expecting big numbers at our shoots. We're doing this for our archery members because they seem to be pretty enthusiastic that someone is giving them a really good 3D course that they can shoot at 7 days a week. Don't think it's too much of a membership issue as the Sherwood Park Fish and Game have a current membership of 5000 people. Most haven't tried the archery range because there hasn't been much there before. Thank for the positive feedback from the archers who attended the 3D shoot. Really glad you enjoyed yourself and we're already planning some different targets for the August 21 shoot!
Old 05-16-2016, 04:18 PM

Quote:

Neil
$55 for a membership. Sorry dude but if that kind of scratch is a concern you may have the wrong hobby. Do you have any idea what 3D animals cost and what is involved with setup? Do you think the $5 entry fee covers this? The reason its cheap as its provided to the members...who have already contributed. Next time your local club is holding a shoot, go and volunteer and see what is involved. You will have a completely different position on the matter after.
Old 05-16-2016, 04:23 PM

Neil may have been mistaken on the goal of the shoot...it was to get existing members out and to hopefully draw a few more (which it did) at least 4-5 folks picked up a membership prior to or at the shoot....maybe more.

Advertising here for members was a good way to get the word out. Not everyone reads newsletters or email. I imagine the growth will be significant as I have had several PM here and on Facebook asking how to join.

LC
Old 05-16-2016, 04:56 PM

great shoot ... I am one the new members and it was a good shoot cant wait for more and just using the place... hopeful I remember to bring a hammer and chisel to dig out my arrow ...
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 05-16-2016, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backyard View Post
great shoot ... I am one the new members and it was a good shoot cant wait for more and just using the place... hopeful I remember to bring a hammer and chisel to dig out my arrow ...
Don't worry about it. We're going out there again on Thursday to switch some animals around again and we'll dig your arrow out of your Pope and Young poplar! I understand your four year old hit the critter and you hit the tree? Just sayin!! Are you going to be at the Oilman's shoot?
Old 05-16-2016, 09:07 PM

Lol Yup she did......? ...... yes we will be at the oilmans.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 05-16-2016, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Lol Yup she did......? ...... yes we will be at the oilmans.

Is this a special arrow that you need back before then or can we bring it to Oilman's?
Old 05-16-2016, 09:18 PM

Oh the oilmans will be fine ?

Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 05-17-2016, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
$55 for a membership. Sorry dude but if that kind of scratch is a concern you may have the wrong hobby. Do you have any idea what 3D animals cost and what is involved with setup? Do you think the $5 entry fee covers this? The reason its cheap as its provided to the members...who have already contributed. Next time your local club is holding a shoot, go and volunteer and see what is involved. You will have a completely different position on the matter after.
This dude is fully aware...I own an archery shop and run an full indoor and outdoor range...fully aware of 3D animal cost as there are 20 on our range including full size elk etc...we have our own shoots so know whats involved...Not a hobby been bowhunting for 45 plus years...ran Many shoots including many of the very first 3D shoots in Alberta...was the president of several archery clubs since the 70'S and all had open shoots

Most which were originated by local Fish and game clubs...we were all members of our local club but if it was an OPEN shoot and advertised...you didn't have to join that fish and game club that hosted it...or the next shoot by another fish and game club...

Just stated if its a club shoot ..fine...wasn't aware of the $5.00 entry fee etc...but if its a "open" advertised shoot...then all the hassle of getting that membership should be looked at and maybe a reasonable non member fee be looked at..

All the other advertised and open shoots in Alberta DONT require a membership to shoot or participate...

So no I have the same "position on the matter after"

I am sure it was well run and a lot of fun..as well as an awesome way to introduce new and existing members...I merely mentioned if it was to be an "open shoot" to attract more shooters...there may have been a better attendance if the membership was left "open" also...

Neil
Old 05-17-2016, 08:57 AM

When are you having a shoot this year? Would like to try and make it out. Didn't know you had any 3d shoots there.

LC
Old 05-17-2016, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
When are you having a shoot this year? Would like to try and make it out. Didn't know you had any 3d shoots there.

LC
Not so much anymore...we used to have annual shoots with local Fish and Game clubs and Camp Wainwright archery members...awesome river hill 3D course...great turn outs....had a couple here with our club members ...although anyone could shoot they were not really open or advertised.

As mentioned they are a LOT of work...seems now days everyone is busy or maybe we are just getting too old...lol

Neil
Old 05-17-2016, 09:41 AM

Quote:
This dude is fully aware...I own an archery shop and run an full indoor and outdoor range...fully aware of 3D animal cost as there are 20 on our range including full size elk etc...we have our own shoots so know whats involved...Not a hobby been bowhunting for 45 plus years...ran Many shoots including many of the very first 3D shoots in Alberta...was the president of several archery clubs since the 70'S and all had open shoots

Most which were originated by local Fish and game clubs...we were all members of our local club but if it was an OPEN shoot and advertised...you didn't have to join that fish and game club that hosted it...or the next shoot by another fish and game club...

Just stated if its a club shoot ..fine...wasn't aware of the $5.00 entry fee etc...but if its a "open" advertised shoot...then all the hassle of getting that membership should be looked at and maybe a reasonable non member fee be looked at..

All the other advertised and open shoots in Alberta DONT require a membership to shoot or participate...

So no I have the same "position on the matter after"

I am sure it was well run and a lot of fun..as well as an awesome way to introduce new and existing members...I merely mentioned if it was to be an "open shoot" to attract more shooters...there may have been a better attendance if the membership was left "open" also...

Neil
Huh. Sure am glad it wasn't an "open" shoot.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Not so much anymore...we used to have annual shoots with local Fish and Game clubs and Camp Wainwright archery members...awesome river hill 3D course...great turn outs....had a couple here with our club members ...although anyone could shoot they were not really open or advertised.

As mentioned they are a LOT of work...seems now days everyone is busy or maybe we are just getting too old...lol

Neil
You have the same number of targets as SPFGA, why not hold a shoot?

LC
Old 05-17-2016, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Bahaha you do know you are mouthing off at a guy who has been around the scene (prob before you were born) and owns a great shop who has run alot of shoots before. Way to make yourself look foolish!
Old 05-17-2016, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Huh. Sure am glad it wasn't an "open" shoot.
Well it was advertised and "open" as long as you bought a membership...not knocking the shoot or telling anyone how to run it...
simply made a mistake of pointing something out for better attendance...
I get it ..it was for members...

Neil
Old 05-17-2016, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertabighorn View Post
Bahaha you do know you are mouthing off at a guy who has been around the scene (prob before you were born) and owns a great shop who has run alot of shoots before. Way to make yourself look foolish!
Not biting. Change the presentation and lure speeds.
Old 05-17-2016, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Well it was advertised and "open" as long as you bought a membership...not knocking the shoot or telling anyone how to run it...
simply made a mistake of pointing something out for better attendance...
I get it ..it was for members...

Neil
geez lost it was for members ..... lmao
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 05-17-2016, 02:21 PM

Quote:
geez lost it was for members ..... lmao
lol..Thanks needed that!
Old 05-17-2016, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrow dog View Post
First shoot in fifteen years so we have no idea how many members are planning to attend! If you're going to be there, please shoot me a pm. Thanks
Yup...right here first post, members shoot...Not sure why the surprises?

Of course it's "open" for members....who would go of it was closed?

There was discussion about it being for everyone and in the future it may be, but it wasn't and isn't at this moment.

LC
Old 05-17-2016, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Yup...right here first post, members shoot...Not sure why the surprises?

Of course it's "open" for members....who would go of it was closed?

There was discussion about it being for everyone and in the future it may be, but it wasn't and isn't at this moment.

LC
Geez not sure who urinated in everybody's flakes of Corn this morning...

Then in 4th post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrow dog View Post
There will be two rounds of 21 targets with a concession at lunch time. Registration starts at 8AM and shoot starts at 9:30AM. If you are planning to attend and are not a member of the Sherwood Park Fish and Game, you need to purchase a membership and a gate pass card before the shoot. You can contact membership director Deanna Loewen at 780-910-4248. Check out the rest of the info on the SPFGA website.
...clearly states its open but you have to buy a membership... posted on an open forum... and all I stated was if membership wasn't a factor attendance may have been higher.... not sure why all the surprise ranting...

Anyway done...

Neil
Old 05-17-2016, 03:24 PM

[

...clearly states its open but you have to buy a membership... posted on an open forum... and all I stated was if membership wasn't a factor attendance may have been higher.... not sure why all the surprise ranting...

Anyway done...

Neil[/QUOTE]

Lost I'm not why the big concern over the open members shoot ... lmao
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 05-17-2016, 04:51 PM

It never clearly stated it was open....always was a member only shoot Lol. You need a membership to go...therefore not open to non-members lol. Those who really wanted to attend did, and several arranged to get the membership at the shoot...was just a phone call away.

Posted on an open forum because there is a lot of SPFGA members that lurk here...another avenue to get the word out.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 05-17-2016 at 05:04 PM.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:41 PM

What I don't get is why didn't you open it up and allow non members? I doubt the insurance is that hard to circumvent. I've shot at least at least a dozen other 3D shoots that were hosted at a gun club

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
Old 05-17-2016, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338Bluff View Post
What I don't get is why didn't you open it up and allow non members? I doubt the insurance is that hard to circumvent. I've shot at least at least a dozen other 3D shoots that were hosted at a gun club

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
Have to talk to the membership folks for an answer. None of the 3d or archery folks made that decision. I know they (Membership) accommodated those who wanted to shoot, and a few arranged to get general memberships prior to the tourney. FYI a general membership is a Segway to a full membership, if you are interested. Have to realize this archery thing is relatively new to membership, they are used to running a tight ship with firearms where there is no guests and members only. This is a large club (4500+ members) with the primary focus on the firearms ranges, but with a revitalized archery section and 3d I can see good things to come in the future.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 05-17-2016 at 11:11 PM.
Old 05-19-2016, 07:52 AM

I wasn't able to attend in the end due to some family circumstances but I really don't mind the idea of low attendance. Kinda takes the pressure off for some of us rookies. And makes it easier to get to know all the guys out there.
Just my humble opinion.
I will definitely do my best to be at the next one!
Love that course with all the new targets, even though I went home with a few less arrows last time it was well worth it.

Schian
Old 05-23-2016, 10:46 PM

Walked through the 3D course today. I am in utter awe of the improvements. I have shot many 3D courses in the past and this one is excellent! Hats off to the people who made this happen!!!!!!