Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-26-2010, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
All I see is look at me, look at what I am.....but yet you act very unprofessional for a professional.

My definition of diehard, means I like to do anything that involves hunting and the outdoors.....NOWHERE did i say I'm better than anyone, your the only struting peacock around here, I haven't used the I Am This sentence like you !!! ! I'm also a diehard sports fan, but I don't play all the sports I watch, and I'm not the only one here , most of us are here....

Hunters are smart people, but a majority of people here in Alberta haven't been exposed to crossbows, so debunking the myths will take awhile, even though you say they've been debunked, but the contridict yourself by saying things like " that one of the most common assumed problems....etc " Until you pick up and shoot a Xbow that when people begin to understand what they hear may not be true. Most people around here haven't had the exposure yet, not like B.C.

And what's a slob hunter by the way????

Why is it the generation on their way out , believe they know whats best for the generations that will have to deal with their decisions If you want a real answer talk to the general public ask them what they think about Xbows, stand at the door of Bps and randomly ask men and women the simple question.... Do you believe a crossbow is more like a , gun or a bow??? I say more people say gun, but you say bow, do your due diligence and check, then write a story about your UNBIASED findings . and I will admit if I'm wrong. !!! that will prove it's debunked as you say it is. Then only with time , will we be able to judge if those terrible myths that bowhunters talk about will come to fruition when this stuiped thing is passed in Alberta.
Has anyone ever done a poll here on AO asking just that? Do you see Crossbows more as bow or a gun? If not, it would be interesting.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJS View Post
Has anyone ever done a poll here on AO asking just that? Do you see Crossbows more as bow or a gun? If not, it would be interesting.
done! the myths have been well represented, the facts have been laid out for all to see and the opinions have been tossed around for many months in several threads. you asked for a poll so its up. we already know what several guys are gonna say, but im asking everyone to chime in to get a better representation of the AO population.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
done! the myths have been well represented, the facts have been laid out for all to see and the opinions have been tossed around for many months in several threads. you asked for a poll so its up. we already know what several guys are gonna say, but im asking everyone to chime in to get a better representation of the AO population.
Nice work!
Old 09-26-2010, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
All I see is look at me, look at what I am.....but yet you act very unprofessional for a professional.

My definition of diehard, means I like to do anything that involves hunting and the outdoors.....NOWHERE did i say I'm better than anyone, your the only struting peacock around here, I haven't used the I Am This sentence like you !!! ! I'm also a diehard sports fan, but I don't play all the sports I watch, and I'm not the only one here , most of us are here....
As I stated in another post, the only reason I mentioned what I do is because I didn't get what you mean with "die-hard". I assumed -I know we never should make assumptions about others - that you mean "die-hard" in the vain of, as most others do, I am better than you. I've no need to "strut" and neither the intention to do so. What I do professionally I see more as a blessing then a means to "strut". I feel very fortunate that I am able to share what I know with other hunters through various means and while doing so receive more knowledge and a deeper understanding.

Now that you explained to me what "die-hard" means to you I see it in a different light and thank you for it.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntwriter View Post
As I stated in another post, the only reason I mentioned what I do is because I didn't get what you mean with "die-hard". I assumed -I know we never should make assumptions about others - that you mean "die-hard" in the vain of, as most others do, I am better than you. I've no need to "strut" and neither the intention to do so. What I do professionally I see more as a blessing then a means to "strut". I feel very fortunate that I am able to share what I know with other hunters through various means and while doing so receive more knowledge and a deeper understanding.

Now that you explained to me what "die-hard" means to you I see it in a different light and thank you for it.
Fair enough !

We are on the same team here, and there needs to be a solution that leaves bowhunters and xbowhunters' ego's and dignity in place, while suffering a minor loss.

There is also I'm sure great intrest in the muzzleloader community what the outcome may be here. They to deserve a season or something don't they???
Old 09-27-2010, 12:51 AM

I am not that familiar with the situation in Alberta. Here in British Columbia we have two season. A very short 10 day bow only season which includes crossbows and the rest is regular season where everybody, including bowhunters, can hunt. Although many bowhunters and muzzleloader hunters think that they should have separate, respectively longer season, I think is adequate.

At one time we had a muzzleloader season but it got lost because that segment was to busy fighting over what constitutes a muzzleloader. Some thought the season should only include traditional guns and others thought it should also include modern in-lines. Eventually the government had enough and said "screw that we cancel muzzleloader season".

Personally I am not much in favour of many different seasons. An extreme example of segmented seasons is Pennsylvania. The season is just a bit over four month and is split up into traditional bow season, compound bow season and soon into a crossbow season , traditional muzzleloader season, in-line muzzleloader season, shotgun (slug) season and finally rifle season. You can figure out how much hunting time each segment gets.

In my opinion the fewer season segments we have the more opportunity we create for everybody. The only reason for special seasons I can see and welcome is where required for conservation purpose, youth only season and suburban hunting, where for obvious reasons firearms would not be the first choice.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heckler View Post
Fear mongering? Honestly. So because the ABA disagrees with the crossbow proponents point of view on this issue, they are now "fear mongering"? Give me a break. So lets completely alienate and vilify the ABA and all Alberta bowhunters who agree with them on this issue so we can get what we want. Brilliant.

I think if you were to actually speak with some bowhunters about this issue, or better yet speak with the ABA president for example, you would find out differently.
Yes fear mongering. They have their members convinced that the sky will fall if crossbows are allowed in archery season. I'm well aware of their stance on the issue for the last 10 years.

I'm of the opinion that the more hunters the better. Be it spears, crossbows of compound bows. I stressed this in the other thread. If allowing crossbows into archery season increases the number of hunters, this is a good thing IMO.

Guys who rush out and buy a crossbow will soon find out that its not as easy as it looks. So maybe the first year or two, you may find a bit more competition in the bow zones, but after that, smart money would be on things getting back to normal.

Have a great season guys!
Old 09-27-2010, 01:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbAngler View Post
I'm of the opinion that the more hunters the better. Be it spears, crossbows of compound bows. I stressed this in the other thread. If allowing crossbows into archery season increases the number of hunters, this is a good thing IMO.

Have a great season guys!
Everything that I have read regarding crossbows being included in archery season states that there was no significant overall increase in hunter numbers. There was a shifting of rifle hunters into the archery season but that is about it. So if you are looking at this as a way to increase overall hunter numbers I don't think this is the solution.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilburhunter View Post
Everything that I have read regarding crossbows being included in archery season states that there was no significant overall increase in hunter numbers. There was a shifting of rifle hunters into the archery season but that is about it. So if you are looking at this as a way to increase overall hunter numbers I don't think this is the solution.
Thank -you, That exactly what people don't understand !! They won't be new, just transfered !
Old 09-27-2010, 05:26 PM

for Bleeps sake!leave the dang thing be. ...

Just yanking your chain, but in my opinion....No reason there cant be a staggered season. traditional archery first, Primitive weapon second( aka muzzle, crossbow, shotgun) then a general rifle. dont understand whats the big deal if you have 2 weeks early each, for the special seasons?? Loads of time??
lol

Last edited by bunnyhunter; 09-27-2010 at 05:32 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:30 PM
Banned

If crossbows doubled the amount of hunters in the bow season I would probably not bother bow hunting any more. To me the great thing about bow hunting is having places that are often crowded during the rifle season to myself and the hunters that I do meet are usualy more respectfull and dedicated hunters. Not too many bow hunters that I've met tear around on quads or in trucks expecting to connect, with less hunters and less disturbance we all see more game. I think that the introduction of the crossbow would increase the hunting pressure and increase the number of yahoo's wrecking it for everyone else. I'd probably do more duckhunting because of that.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
If crossbows doubled the amount of hunters in the bow season I would probably not bother bow hunting any more. To me the great thing about bow hunting is having places that are often crowded during the rifle season to myself and the hunters that I do meet are usualy more respectfull and dedicated hunters. Not too many bow hunters that I've met tear around on quads or in trucks expecting to connect, with less hunters and less disturbance we all see more game. I think that the introduction of the crossbow would increase the hunting pressure and increase the number of yahoo's wrecking it for everyone else. I'd probably do more duckhunting because of that.
Yep we other hunters are ripping on quads, shooting anything that moves. again and again.... some archery hunters are holier than anyone with a gun. akin with nature. I used to appreciate archery hunting until I met those that seem to think anything except archery isn't hunting, its just killing. Some of us gun hunters do actually not own quads! and go walking, quietly through the woods, and get as much out of hunting as the purists.

this rant has nothing to do with crossbow arguments, sorry....does ANYONE have stats about that? does crossbow really destroy archery season? love to know.

ugh
Old 09-27-2010, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnyhunter View Post
Yep we other hunters are ripping on quads, shooting anything that moves. again and again.... some archery hunters are holier than anyone with a gun. akin with nature. I used to appreciate archery hunting until I met those that seem to think anything except archery isn't hunting, its just killing. Some of us gun hunters do actually not own quads! and go walking, quietly through the woods, and get as much out of hunting as the purists.

this rant has nothing to do with crossbow arguments, sorry....does ANYONE have stats about that? does crossbow really destroy archery season? love to know.

ugh
Nope your right, there are bad apples in every form of hunting ,archery too! And those rotten apples are the ones that hurt our image as a whole.

Asking if crossbows really destory archery season, depends on the eye of the beholder I guess....Do the liberals really destroy Canada ? I guess theres gonna always be 2 sides. Everyone just has to pick one !