Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 03-10-2008, 09:20 PM

Default Mechanicals VS. Fixed

OK, what do you guys use? And why?

Myself, since I'm rather simple by nature, I subscribe to the KISS principal (Keep It Simple Stupid).

I feel that a fixed setup eliminates one extra thing that can go wrong bowhunting. God knows there's only 2-3 things that can go wrong anyway, so who needs a fourth?

However, those fancy-schmancy thingies look pretty cool. I need to re-stock, so I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks.

Tree
Old 03-10-2008, 09:39 PM

I have always liked the mechanical broadheads and use the Rocky Mountain Snyper 2 blades. That said, I have very little field experience with the bow and these broadheads to prove or disprove their effectiveness. My biggest attraction has been to the "field point like" performance that is claimed.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:39 PM

I've been using mechanicals for the last 5 years or so. If your arrow is tuned to fly and you can hit something other than a shoulder blade or the guts there will be NO issues. This year I'm planning on using a new blind and I want to use it with the mesh windows in, so I'll probably be using fixed blades instead. Bad Penetration = BAD TUNING. The broadhead is just an excuse.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ View Post
I've been using mechanicals for the last 5 years or so. If your arrow is tuned to fly and you can hit something other than a shoulder blade or the guts there will be NO issues. This year I'm planning on using a new blind and I want to use it with the mesh windows in, so I'll probably be using fixed blades instead. Bad Penetration = BAD TUNING. The broadhead is just an excuse.
My thoughts exactly.
I use fixed blade heads because I like them, not becauase I think they are better than mechanicls but there are some fixed blade heads I simply will not use because I can't get them to fly properly.
Incidently, One of the broadheads I detest is the Bodkin three blade, a very old design.
Those things are a never ending nightmare for me.
HOWEVER, A very famous bowyer and archer in pennsylavania just loves them!
Go figure....
Whatever it is, it MUST fly straight for you or everything else is a crap shoot.
Cat
Old 03-10-2008, 10:00 PM

Quote:

Russ, I shot through a blind mesh this fall. No issue with my broadheads (125gr Thunderheads), but it pulled the crap out of my field points. I would imagine that you would face the same (if not WORSE) results with mechanicals. BTW, I've had zero issues with the Thunderheads, I'll probably stick with them unless convinced otherwise.

Tree
Old 03-10-2008, 11:06 PM

TG?? I think my last post indicated I would be using fixed blades, more specifically I'll be using cut-on-contact fixed blades to shoot through my screens.

Field points won't cut through the mesh so yes they wouldn't fly worth a darn. I've gotten my BH choice whittled down to 2 cut on contact heads.

Catinthehat, I have five bodkins. I cart 'em around to show people taking the archery portion of the Conservation Education course. Terrible things to sharpen, I've even tried my felt wheel & green compound and still not to my satisfaction.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:44 PM

I use fixed (steel force 4 blades) but will probably switch to montecs for fixed and would like to try those slip cam mechnical 2 blades on moose this year, they have a 2 inch cutting diameter, lot more chance of always cutting a major lung part. IMO.

I never had a problem with my steel force ones just like the rigid look on montec and have heard good things.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:25 AM

Quote:
TG?? I think my last post indicated I would be using fixed blades, more specifically I'll be using cut-on-contact fixed blades to shoot through my screens.
I realize what you indicated. I was only trying to releate my PERSONAL experiences in terms of shooting through mesh. Although that information may not have benefitted you, that is not to say that it wouldn't be helpful to others. No offence ment.

Tree
Old 03-11-2008, 06:34 AM

Quote:

Catinthehat, I have five bodkins. I cart 'em around to show people taking the archery portion of the Conservation Education course. Terrible things to sharpen, I've even tried my felt wheel & green compound and still not to my satisfaction.
The bowyer I mentioned uses a file and puts a wire edge on them.
I can't stand the things myself, and won't even have them in the house anynore - tossed them 20 years ago!
When sharpened with a single cut mil file to a rough wire edge they cut well, but only once, then they need to be complelty gone over, not just retouched.

The big thing for me is they don't pass the first test - accuracy, so they fail right there.

I also got some hi-standards with my Ben pearson when I bought it, and although they are built soemwhat the same as the bodkin, they are much harder steel and out a finer edge on.
However, With a dozen Black Diamond Deltas and grizzlies at my disposal , I haven't bothered even to look a them either....
Cat
Old 03-11-2008, 07:09 AM

Default yup

i also shoot fixed blade, muzzy to be exact.
with the 40 or so bow hunters we bring up each spring i bet i could count the number of guys on one hand that shoot mechanical broadheads.
for one if the elastics happen to break in the quiver your pooched(noone carries spare elastics) you can shoot the mesh with out the broadhead opening.
two if one side breaks off or doesnt open it affects penetration.
but thats just me.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:18 AM

Again a personal preference question!....

I like Montecs, Thunderheads, or RM Premiers. They are togh enough to survive the 45 gallon drum test and fly fine for me.

Mechanicals I do not like. I pasted a doe at 4 yards away from tree stand and 1 blade did not open and arrow exited in a different directions.

Shooting almost straight down. tree stand 30 feet up deer almost straight down... arrow went in beside spine just behind shoulder. Deer's head was quartering towards me. Arrow ended up about 6 yards behind deer.

If arrow continued on straight line it should have been under deer. When I found slimy, pink, dark red, green, and brown arrow only one blade was open. It was a non elasticfold back mechanical. Coyotes found deer before I did.

So based on this situation I prefer fixed blades because I made two more shots later that were almost identical with very short retrieval.

What I do not like about montecs is above 280 fps and they whistle.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:22 AM
Shrubs

I wanted to try mechanicals last year so I bought some first cuts, they fly really good but like Gunslinger mentioned if one of the elastics break, or you lose a couple those broadheads are useless.

This year I'm switchin back to fixed blades, just one less thing to go wrong.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:58 PM

[QUOTE][I've gotten my BH choice whittled down to 2 cut on contact heads.
/QUOTE]

Me too...............Magnus two blade for longbow and recurve and Muzzy 4 blade for compound. I used to have a dozen different type heads......the search is over for me.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:38 PM

SHOT PLACEMENT! SHOT PLACEMENT! SHOT PLACEMENT! I have taken 16 big game animals in the last 6 years with my bow. I started off using mechanicals (Spitfires, Rocky Mtn Revolutions, G5 Tekan 2's & Rocket Aeroheads) with very good success - including two bull moose. I continue to use Rocket Aeroheads mechanicals for spring bear. Three years ago I switched to fixed blades in the fall, and use Shuttle T's also with good success. Bottom line is SHOT PLACEMENT!
Old 03-11-2008, 07:08 PM

i used thunderheads and muzzys for years with no problems except having to sighting in for them ,i switched last season to mechanials last year and spent lots of time and lots of cash trying out different ones, then i found the rage3 slip cam.
these are rear deploying cut on contact broadheads that fly exactly the same as my feild point. i took a full sized bull buffalo and i pulled my shot a little and shot through the shoulder balde and still had the arrow pass clear through at 24 yards so i was totaly impressed . my only worry would be those morning where ice can build up
Old 03-11-2008, 08:09 PM

I'm all for trying the Rage slip cam rear deployment blades. Never thought about "ice" or lockup though. I will have to test.

I would never use those elastic ones.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:59 PM

We looked at the Rage Slip Cams last year. Although they look good, they too have an "elastic", which BTW is not as much of a problem as some of the posters have stated. What we found with the slip cams was that the blades slipped out much too easily. They were ok if you were just sitting there with your arrow on the string, but once you started taking them in and out of your quiver, and using them in the field, the blades slipped into the open position far too often.
As for other mechanicals, my hunting partners and I have outstanding success with Wasp Jak Hammers. Accurate and tough these heads fly like darts and leave big holes for easy and short blood trailing.The elastic is as tough as nails, it actually slides down the arrow rather than snapping, and if you're worried about losing one, just have an extra 1 or 2 on the arrow shaft right at the insert.
One feature of mech. heads that fellows often overlook is the safety factor of having your razor blades covered until the head hits an animal.
Because of their design too, (they are not "L" shaped blades) these broadheads fly great through ground blind mesh.
As another poster alluded to though, it's really all about shot placement.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:18 PM

the rage 3 DOES NOT have an elastic to hold it closed it does have an o ring like every other broadhead but it locks on its own and ive never had one open up while in my quiver or loading ..ther design stop pre deployment
Old 03-12-2008, 10:11 AM

Shot placement is important....

But also the style of machanicals are important. The flip arround backward blades held by friction are junk in my opinion.

A had a spitfire 3 blade (I normally never talk about brands in a bad light)... where 2 blades did not open and arrow turned after it hit animal and exited out of line of the shot.

I shot down from a tree stand at a close doe... I hit beside the spine, just behind shoulder blade which should have been a perfect shot. Fixed blades would not have been an issue or a mechanical where blades deploy before entering animal.

here is a mechanical test. Shoot an unshorn sheep. (With permission) or shoot a sheepskin vest... again permission and ensure owner isnot wearing it at the time. with a spitfiree... when you hit the wool side first the blades tangle in the wool as they are opening and the arrow will not pass through the hide!....

or shoot kevlar chainsaw pants... again with permission when someone is not wearing them with a spitfire and then shoot it with a fixed blade......

Mechanical design has changed over the years but to me it is still one more thing to go wrong!... and it has done so!....
Old 03-12-2008, 01:59 PM
Shrubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prdtrgttr View Post
We looked at the Rage Slip Cams last year. Although they look good, they too have an "elastic", which BTW is not as much of a problem as some of the posters have stated. What we found with the slip cams was that the blades slipped out much too easily. They were ok if you were just sitting there with your arrow on the string, but once you started taking them in and out of your quiver, and using them in the field, the blades slipped into the open position far too often.
As for other mechanicals, my hunting partners and I have outstanding success with Wasp Jak Hammers. Accurate and tough these heads fly like darts and leave big holes for easy and short blood trailing.The elastic is as tough as nails, it actually slides down the arrow rather than snapping, and if you're worried about losing one, just have an extra 1 or 2 on the arrow shaft right at the insert.
One feature of mech. heads that fellows often overlook is the safety factor of having your razor blades covered until the head hits an animal.
Because of their design too, (they are not "L" shaped blades) these broadheads fly great through ground blind mesh.
As another poster alluded to though, it's really all about shot placement.

My experience with the rubber bands didn't end the hunt because I had more broadheads it's just frustrating when you lose a little cheap piece of rubber and that means you have one less arrow. I guess it depends on the person. My girlfriend has shot the wasp jackhammers, no kills with them but she switched to to the fixed blade wasp because she hates tieing fishing line or whatever on the mechanicals for target practice.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrubs View Post
My experience with the rubber bands didn't end the hunt because I had more broadheads it's just frustrating when you lose a little cheap piece of rubber and that means you have one less arrow. I guess it depends on the person. My girlfriend has shot the wasp jackhammers, no kills with them but she switched to to the fixed blade wasp because she hates tieing fishing line or whatever on the mechanicals for target practice.
If you shoot mechanicals then I've found there is no need to practice with them, as they fly just like field points. That is one of the main reasons that people choose to use mechanicals.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:05 PM
Shrubs

Isn't it a good idea to practice with the head you'll use for hunting? Call me crazy but I don't see how someone would want to go hunting with a broadhead that they haven't tried at the target first.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post
or shoot kevlar chainsaw pants... again with permission when someone is not wearing them with a spitfire and then shoot it with a fixed blade......
Nek, you're makin' me nervous..........oh, oh, WITHOUT someone wearing the pants! Whew!

Great info guys. The rear deployment of the Rage does interest me, but for now, I think that I'll stick with my Thunderheads. I got enough problems without looking for another one.

Tree
Old 03-12-2008, 09:51 PM

I shot spitfires last year (first season strictly with the bow), and while they performed well on three deer, I have been thinking of switching to Shuttle-T's (fixed). They are one type of head that I've heard and read nothing but good reviews on. Bob Fromme from the Performance Bowhunting videos pushes them, and the man seems to know his stuff. May be worth a try.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:26 AM

The fixed vs mechanical thread is always good for opinions and closed minds.... including my closed mind!....
Old 03-13-2008, 01:56 PM

I've used many mechanicals, and they all shoot exactly the same as field points (Ive' tried them all to see - just a few shots with each will tell you right away). As for Shuttle T's they shoot well out to 70 yds with excellent penetration, and after using them for the last two seasons I would recommend them as a very good fixed blade broadhead. Shuttle T's leave very large holes. The dealer I purchased them thru let me test the into a steel 45 gallon drum - didn't even break a blade. I also tested G5 montecs into the drum - blades didn't break, but did bend, and not nearly as big a hole as the Shuttle T. As for mechanicals I tried a Rocket Aerohead into the drum - broke one blade off & bent another - only a small hole as blades didn't slice thru the steel drum.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:17 PM
Banned

stick with your thunderheads...

i got all broadhead crazy at one point (sounds like you might get sucked into that trap too? )....do yourself a favor and put the money you'll blow trying all the different types of broadheads towards something else!

i tried about 5 different expandables, probably that many again in fixed blade....cripes a judo will do the job with shot placement so it doesn't really matter what the design of the broadhead is as long as there are some sharp bits when it goes through the vitals....they all work pretty equally....maybe a larger blades takes a few yards off your trailing job but that would be about all i could say would be different....except for these two things....

1. shot placement if bad.......this is where you'll want your tough fixed blade forsure...

and 2. if the broadhead stays inside while animal is running it could be moving around like a stir stick....cutting everything up better inside (especially on a poor placement?)...and i'd rather the fixed blade in there doing that than a mechanical where the blades might brake off or close

i know....reason #2 is pretty weak but hey.....could give us something else to argue about right?

i didn't find one better than the other with good placement....and just trust the fixed more if a poor placement happens...phone me if you want to try some of the expandables etc. i've got a few kickin around still (they can be a bitch to get an arrow to spin perfect too....which bugged me when trying to tune everything up...especially the snypers which worked great on the deer i shot with them)
Old 03-13-2008, 07:27 PM
Shrubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinggr81 View Post
I've used many mechanicals, and they all shoot exactly the same as field points (Ive' tried them all to see - just a few shots with each will tell you right away). As for Shuttle T's they shoot well out to 70 yds with excellent penetration, and after using them for the last two seasons I would recommend them as a very good fixed blade broadhead. Shuttle T's leave very large holes. The dealer I purchased them thru let me test the into a steel 45 gallon drum - didn't even break a blade. I also tested G5 montecs into the drum - blades didn't break, but did bend, and not nearly as big a hole as the Shuttle T. As for mechanicals I tried a Rocket Aerohead into the drum - broke one blade off & bent another - only a small hole as blades didn't slice thru the steel drum.
I've only used the one set of mechanicals and no I didn't have to move my sights and you're probably right about them all shooting the same but I just have to check. Never know, I'd hate to miss something and find out later.

Might have to try those shuttle T locks this year they seem to get rave reviews everywhere.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:56 PM

Stinky, I'm gonna have to cut you a fat cheque (it'll bounce ) for the amount of money you've saved me in experimentation. Perhaps you'll accept some fine spiced rum instead?

I do think that your reason #2 is valid. The 'churning' effect is quite relevent. Thanks for the info. I like my little Thunderheads. All I ask for out of my gear is CONSISTANCY! Thus I know what to expect. If I want unpredictable, I'll ask Mrs. Tree how her day was and what she is planning for tommorow!

Tree
Old 03-13-2008, 10:12 PM

i shoot 125gr thunder heads, have yet to shoot anything other than targets with em but i plan on changing that on a bear this spring and a deer later on in the year. Anyone try the 45 gallon drum test with thunder heads, i might have to try it