Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-26-2008, 04:41 PM

Default Swan Lake near Rocky ice fishing???

Anybody every fished Swan Lake near rocky during the winter? I was hoping to get out there this summer but never got the chance, i hear there are monster browns and lakers in there, anybody ever ice fished it?
Old 11-26-2008, 05:02 PM

I fished it in the winter many years ago. There are pike and trout. I had a large trout about 6 or 7 pounds swim up to my hook but no bite. If I can remember right I think we got skunked that day. I remember the nice clear water. I hear it can be quite slow from others who have fished it. I think there is a bait ban. Check the regs.
Old 11-27-2008, 08:09 AM

As well I have not fished it for years but I do know that the Alberta brown trout record came out of that lake thru the ice quite a few years ago. Not sure if it is still the record but it was somewhere near 17-18 lbs. We used to troll flatfish in the summer and got more pike than trout. Enjoy and post results if you go...sk
Old 11-28-2008, 02:09 PM

Default swan lake

3 of us got skunked there about 3 years ago, a guy fishing beside us saw a huge laker but no one was catching anything.
Old 11-28-2008, 03:32 PM

Is this the same Swan lake that is near Ridgevalley?
Old 11-28-2008, 03:44 PM

It's definately a slow lake to fish. There are some bigguns in there however, as I believe the last 3 provincial record browns have all come out of there. But 1 or 2 fish is a good day.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:24 AM

If you catch a trout you've had a good day. The pike are much easier to catch. The lake does contain some big boys though. Let us know how you make out, good luck.

If I ever draw my sword on you, may the good lord strike me dead.

Luck is just an excuse for poor fishing

B.O.G warriors for life!!! Boots On the Ground!!
Old 01-06-2009, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir. Kenneth View Post
Anybody every fished Swan Lake near rocky during the winter? I was hoping to get out there this summer but never got the chance, i hear there are monster browns and lakers in there, anybody ever ice fished it?
Did you ever go out to Swan? I never had good luck there, both winter and summer. It closes next week..........we should rip out this weekend?
Old 01-06-2009, 11:30 AM

I caught a laker through the ice a few years back on swan. It was the only fish we saw on a full day of fishing out there. It was around 6lbs or so. I've had good luck for pike there in the open water season as well. Only during rain and wind storms for some reason.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTornado View Post
Did you ever go out to Swan? I never had good luck there, both winter and summer. It closes next week..........we should rip out this weekend?
No i never made it up there yet, was planning on hitting up pine this weekend. I gotta work Saturday till 5 then was going to head up and stay at the cottage for the night to be out on the ice before first light. I didn't realize they closed that early?
Old 01-06-2009, 09:42 PM
TundraBuck

Quote:
No i never made it up there yet, was planning on hitting up pine this weekend. I gotta work Saturday till 5 then was going to head up and stay at the cottage for the night to be out on the ice before first light. I didn't realize they closed that early?
For the spawn. There's big fish in there for a reason.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TundraBuck View Post
For the spawn. There's big fish in there for a reason.
Hmmmmm well... not sure if i will make it up there for the hardwater season but im definitely hitting up this lake in the spring!
Old 01-07-2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Hmmmmm well... not sure if i will make it up there for the hardwater season but im definitely hitting up this lake in the spring!
It opens again June 16th
Old 01-30-2009, 09:38 PM

i was out at swan lake today fished down by the creek it was open well cracked open probly 3 feet wide lake was froze but it was reacently slushy on top but it is all froze over its good too drive on we fished every bay we were back down in the bay u can' see down the lake had somting hit really hard had the rod get ripped rate outta the rod holder we got it back it was rate at the bottom of the hole lucky.... there was no one on the lake at all just us three boys thats it .... only caught 2 jacks seen lots of jacks no lakers down no how too fish em any one no how too at least get a chance
Old 01-30-2009, 10:18 PM
TundraBuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1Hunter View Post
i was out at swan lake today fished down by the creek it was open well cracked open probly 3 feet wide lake was froze but it was reacently slushy on top but it is all froze over its good too drive on we fished every bay we were back down in the bay u can' see down the lake had somting hit really hard had the rod get ripped rate outta the rod holder we got it back it was rate at the bottom of the hole lucky.... there was no one on the lake at all just us three boys thats it .... only caught 2 jacks seen lots of jacks no lakers down no how too fish em any one no how too at least get a chance
No one on the lake because it was closed. Better check the regs.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:25 PM

it's open looked today
Old 01-31-2009, 01:22 AM

Jan 16th - June 16th-Closed

better read the regs again.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:37 AM
TundraBuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1Hunter View Post
it's open looked today
You must be looking at the wrong lake.

Swan Lake (26-36-9-W5)
June 16 to Sept. 15 – Trout limit 1 (no size limit); Pike limit 3 (no size limit); Bait Ban.
Sept. 16 to Oct. 31 – CLOSED
Nov. 1 to Jan. 15 – Trout limit 1 over 70 cm; Pike limit 3 (no size limit); Bait Ban.
Jan. 16 to June 15 – CLOSED
Old 01-31-2009, 10:10 PM

well i was looking at swan lake i don't know must of been some were else we even talk too some peol[pe from around here they even said it was open that why we went o well we put are fish back