Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 10-05-2014, 07:45 AM

Arrow Alberta Bigbore's 2014 Archery 41" Moose Oct4th

"Bull down bull down " is all i could work up to say as i was hopping up and down like a fool yesterday after following the blood trail to my Bull.

So at about 11:15 am yesterday.. i managed to finally seal the deal on my first Bull Moose with a " compound bow ", other than a grouse.... this was the real first Blood for my Prime Alloy.

So the morning started out with me sleeping in due to a family function that found me in bed at 2am the night before. So i went to a familiar moose hunting area and started calling inan area where i had a small bull moose run right by me last weekend..... a mere 5 steps away when i was drawing on a grouse.

Now some of you may have followed me in hearing my ridiculous bad luck streak with my bow... two dry fires... one by someone else... and one by me at a 3D shoot. Also being a littl excessive and changing up my sight three times in less than a year... my strings three times etc etc.. trail cam being stolen and so on. So............. all of a sudden a grouse runs out in front of me. I hook my release on the string and i begin to draw back and at about 2 inches.. the arrow is released and falls 5 feet away from me. The spring in the trigger failed on my Scott Silverhorn. And now im mad. All i could think was " Really???? What the hell could be next". I was pretty mad and all i could think was selling the whole think... giving up and buying a new rifle lol. ....... So i tweak and play with adjustment.. nope the spring is toast. Wont reset the hook... so i have to push forward on the trigger... all while pulling tension on the string... before i draw back for it to lock.. good thing SCOTT has a lifetime warranty.

Sooooooooooo..... now im ready to go home all mad.. and think ill go down to a oilfield road i know that holds a few grouse every year and ill look for some before i go home now that i know how my messed up release works for now.

I pull over the truck to the side in the grass... grab my bow and range finder. Close and lock the truck. Let out a big ole Cow moose love groan... just because..as i called my day a wash. I start making my way over the road to walk the other bush line as its been more productive on that side. As I am walking across something caught my eye. I look up the road and this big bull moose had stepped out about 70 yards and was looking away from me for the "cow" that had just groaned. I freak out and do a combat roll to the bushed and small trees .

I let out another moaning cow call and hes coming in like a frieght train. I can hear his hooves smash on the ground and his constant grunts were so loud... and i come to full draw before hes in view.. Then he stopped about 20 yards from my truck.... and 15 yards from me..... offering no shot other than a heavy Quartering to me shot. A big gust of wind came and must have blew my sent to him as he did a 180 and ran back where he came from.... but further and exited to the side of the bush now that my truck was parked along.

So now im like yep" just my luck....what else is new. " i go walking after him following the tracks... and into the bush and no sight of him. Begin calling.. but no dice. Now ive had it. Going home. Giving up for another day. So i come out of the bush and start walking to my truck.. all pouty and frustrated. I look up as i was going to range my truck to see how far the moose ran away. Then i saw the Bull again. He was hot and horny and popped out ....right behind.... my truck!! Like this is ridiculous.... trying to get away from road hunting. Haha.

So again i combat roll into the tree line kneel down between a few 5 inch poplars and yellow grasses blocking my body and in the shade of a big spruce beside me. I nock an arrow and begin cow calling. I can hear him coming in like a tank... grunting continuously.. i seen his hooves....through the trees.. and let out a sbort "WAH" and he kept on truckin' closer as i cMe to full draw. Straight out in front of me at 10.6 yards i stopped him with another "Wah"..... he stopped and i squeezed the trigger on the release. The Grim Reaper RazorTipped arrow found its mark with a smack and i watched my arrow pass through the moose and he took off quartering away from me.

He ran enough to be 23.9 yards away (both shot ranged after he was down) and i stopped him with another short "Wah" and he turned broadside... but this time head facing the other way. I nock and aim the new HAA Optimizer Lite Ultra....and release the arrow. Another smack and he takes off into the bush away from me up and over a small rise. Im quite and in a few seconds i hear a huuuuge crash.

Started on the blood trail.. but apparently i was following the spray from his right side as it led me in a different direction. Came back to where i last seen blood and found more going left. Then it was like following a paint brush trail.

Found my bull and called the wifey. So excited and emotional. I think all the BS set in and i was shaking like a leaf and could barely talk. All the hard work practicing 3-4 days a week..sometimes by the headlights. All paid off. Couldnt be happier.

Grim Reaper Razortips really do what they say!!!!.

Last edited by Alberta Bigbore; 10-05-2014 at 11:38 PM.
Old 10-05-2014, 07:52 AM
Banned

Congrats on your great bull AB! Was out yesterday, found two gut piles, RATS!!!
Old 10-05-2014, 07:55 AM

Default Awesome

Way to go fella! That is awesome! I guess that area we were talking about really does hold as many moose as you said!

Now you can focus on your P&Y WT!

Great story!

Morb
Old 10-05-2014, 07:57 AM

Awsome story. I remember my first moose witch was my first big game kill ever and i done it with a bow. It is the best feeling ever

Gordon
Old 10-05-2014, 08:03 AM

Congrats again, looks like he should make P&Y minimum!

LC
Old 10-05-2014, 08:07 AM

I am glad to see your string of bad luck is finally over. Never heard of anybody having such bad luck with equipment in one year. Good to see success from guys who work hard at it.
Old 10-05-2014, 08:12 AM

Congrates great moose
Old 10-05-2014, 08:18 AM

Congrats on a great bull !!!
Old 10-05-2014, 08:33 AM
Banned

That's an awesome bull, did you puke when you walked up on him???? Lol, congrats once again.
Old 10-05-2014, 08:45 AM
Banned

PS: Wow thoes Grim Reaper RazorTipped really do a number, I'll have go get some! Congrats again! Happy eating lol
Old 10-05-2014, 08:45 AM

Congrats ABB!
It's even sweeter after what you've been thru!
Congrats!
Old 10-05-2014, 08:47 AM

Well done, congrats!
Old 10-05-2014, 08:54 AM

Glad you didn't throw it in and buy a rifle, congrats on that beast and i loved the story !
Old 10-05-2014, 09:25 AM

Awesome, happy for you, big holes eh?
Old 10-05-2014, 09:34 AM

That is some awesome shooting on a great bull. And a great story too!
Sometimes it's meant to be, but you still have to be there and be prepared.
Congratulations!
Old 10-05-2014, 09:37 AM

Congrats. Seems like all your bad luck with equipment was ment to be, its nice when you get a moose close to the truck on a hot day.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:53 AM

Thumbs up

Again, congrats ABB, heck of a moose and great story....funny how moose seem to show up at the end of bad luck eh? I sure know how that feels.

Welcome to the addiction
Old 10-05-2014, 10:20 AM

Congrats!! I have been waiting to see a post like this from you all bow season. I know you've worked really hard prepping for this season and that your bad luck would finally run out and you'd be rewarded with a nice animal. That's a great story and of course a great moose. You deserve it.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 10-05-2014, 10:37 AM

Default Moose

Well done, I love calling moose, it's a rush isn't it?
Old 10-05-2014, 10:42 AM

funny story! Sounds like you took the same path as me. I woulda definitely been gonged on the Gong show . Archery is definitely a test of fortitude.
Beauty moose and good job with a fubar-ed release.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:47 AM

Congrats!!! Awsome story and nice bull! good eats
Old 10-05-2014, 10:49 AM

Thanks all for the kind words. Ill admit.. still get the shakes when i think about when i stopped the bull for the first shot and he looked at me at full draw so close!!
Old 10-05-2014, 11:33 AM

Congrats. Nice Bull.
Old 10-05-2014, 12:08 PM

awesome story, great bull. you can put it in the win column huge congrats!!!!!!!!
Old 10-05-2014, 12:17 PM

Sweet, that's a nice bull.
Old 10-05-2014, 12:29 PM

Great story, great bull!!! Funny how everything can just come together.

Congrats
Joe
Old 10-05-2014, 12:58 PM

Right on!! Congrats! That's a great bull. It's awesome to see hard work pay off. You'll be eating like a king for a while now lol.
Old 10-05-2014, 01:47 PM

Congrats on your first archery big game kill!
Old 10-05-2014, 03:03 PM

Very nice bull,congrats.
Old 10-05-2014, 03:07 PM

Awesome Moose!! Congrats!!