Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 11-15-2014, 10:40 PM

Default 2 blade broadheads

Hey Yall

Theres a million different types of broadhead.... and they all look the same to me. lol. The only ones that have really stood out to me though are the 2 blade broadheads.

Any of yall use em? What do you think?

I'm wanting to get some grizzlystik but $$$$$ yikes. Carbon express has a decent looking 2blade. Yall try it?
Old 11-15-2014, 10:43 PM

i have been using NAP killzones and rage hypodermics, both great broadheads
Old 11-15-2014, 10:48 PM

I prefer 3 blade....two blade make a "slit", 3 blade make three flaps....three flaps bleed more and plug up less in my experience.

Used the Sonorans (Schwackers) don't like the way they stay shut and I lost a deer once that barely bled...so I switched to Grim Reapers and never looked back.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 11-15-2014 at 10:57 PM.
Old 11-15-2014, 10:50 PM

As far as 2 blade broad heads are concerned, I've wanted to try the dirt nap drt's but I think you have to order them... And they have 2 bleeder blades so maybe not really a 2 blade but whatever. Youll get a lot of people saying to use grim reaper razortips or any grim reaper, they're an awesome Broadhead. Also a lot of people like slick tricks.
Old 11-15-2014, 11:14 PM

Someone says two-blade and I automatically think Zwickey and Magnus.
Old 11-15-2014, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
Someone says two-blade and I automatically think Zwickey and Magnus.
Two blade fixed are totally different than two blade mechanicals IMHO.

LC
Old 11-16-2014, 12:17 AM

Here we go ....

Physiologically speaking, what lefty said about flaps from 3 blades bleeding more is 100% correct. Also, a shallower angled blade (muzzy 3 blade) will penetrate better than a steep angle (muzzy mx3). A trocar tip design will out penetrate any other tip design, though a cut on contact blade (phantom) is better than a wedge.

Performance wise, mechanicals work until they don't. Anything with moving parts will fail eventually. The only place I see for a mechanical is if you hunt in high wind (>25km/hr) ex southern AB. With that being said, I do plan to set up mechanicals on some of my arrows for just that reason. You must be shooting enough arrow weight to have the energy to open consistently. And only take broadside shots, regardless of what commercials say. Pick one that has a positive locking design, elastics or clips, vs a passive blade tension design to avoid mid flight opening.

Make sure your bow is spec tuned, paper tuned, and walkback tuned. then you get to test broadheads. They all have to be spin tested, and shot at every range/angle you would shoot an animal at.

The carbon express 2 blade has a reputation for making a buzzing sound during flight. Never tried it myself.
Old 11-16-2014, 04:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I prefer 3 blade....two blade make a "slit", 3 blade make three flaps....three flaps bleed more and plug up less in my experience.

Used the Sonorans (Schwackers) don't like the way they stay shut and I lost a deer once that barely bled...so I switched to Grim Reapers and never looked back.

LC
LC I am thinking of switching to Grimm Reapers, which ones do you use? Thanks
Old 11-16-2014, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmhunter View Post
LC I am thinking of switching to Grimm Reapers, which ones do you use? Thanks
100gr Razortips...I was put onto them by Normanrd and WCTbowtech. They have taken many animals with them before me and had excellent results.

LC
Old 11-16-2014, 08:08 AM

If you like the grims...try the Wasp Jak hammers out too. 1 3/4 cut! They are deadly!!!
Old 11-16-2014, 08:15 AM
Banned

Thanks for the input, I will try them next year
Old 11-16-2014, 02:28 PM

Default DRTs

I've got some of dirtnaps DRT two blade (with a small 2 blade bleeder) broadheads on the way. They look like they will perform great and dont have any moving parts to increase chance of error. Decided on them after some research and having a popular mechanical that rhymes with sage have a failure IMO. (first time I tried a mechanical after having success with fixed three blades but a better blood trail was desired)
Old 11-16-2014, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getatmewolf View Post
I've got some of dirtnaps DRT two blade (with a small 2 blade bleeder) broadheads on the way. They look like they will perform great and dont have any moving parts to increase chance of error. Decided on them after some research and having a popular mechanical that rhymes with sage have a failure IMO. (first time I tried a mechanical after having success with fixed three blades but a better blood trail was desired)
Thats an interesting looking broadhead. I might give that one a try. Can i find them in a store? Or only ordered on line.
Old 11-16-2014, 11:00 PM

Quote:

LC
Best answer!

95% of the deer I've seen lost, were off 2 blade broadheads!
Old 11-16-2014, 11:08 PM

here are a few for you .

http://werewolfbroadheads.com/

http://eclipsebroadheads.com/index.htm

http://www.vparchery.com/vpa_penetrator.php

http://www.grizzlybroadheads.com/

Old 11-16-2014, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getatmewolf View Post
Did you get them in store or did you have to order them? I want to try some this spring.
Old 11-16-2014, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
Best answer!

If you put it where it belongs you won't be loosing animals. Shot placement is the key. marginal shots = marginal recovery even with a rifle.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
If you put it where it belongs you won't be loosing animals. Shot placement is the key. marginal shots = marginal recovery even with a rifle.
I didn't say I've lost any animals. ... i make my shots count...

Like LC stated, that flap closes quickly, and blood trails fade faster....
Old 11-17-2014, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Two blade fixed are totally different than two blade mechanicals IMHO.

LC
Definitely diferent.
Old 11-17-2014, 04:21 AM
Banned

Has anyone been using Slick Tricks, if so what are your thoughts on them?
Old 11-17-2014, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Best answer!

Just how many lost deer have you watched the arrow penetrate that were 2 blades? 95% seems like it has been a lot of deer that were lost . If you don't see it go in you don't know if it was a bad shot or not. And how many people swear that it was a perfect shot only to find out it was a gut shot. It is always easy to blame the equipment instead of the monkey behind the string.
Typically a light blood trail isn't from a shot thru the lungs, or it is high up thru the lungs and the blood doesn't leak out like it will in the lower half of the lung cavity . low hits bleed more outside, high hits bleed into the lung cavity. Guts and legs don't bleed much .
Old 11-17-2014, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Definitely diferent.
Exactly! The two blade fixed designs have been around for ever and have worked forever.

Two blade mechanicals won't be screwed onto the end of any arrow I use for hunting any longer.

LC
Old 11-17-2014, 07:03 AM

What do yall think of single bevel vs double bevel? And it's the fixed blades that I'm leaning towards.

Thanks guys
Old 11-17-2014, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Just how many lost deer have you watched the arrow penetrate that were 2 blades? 95% seems like it has been a lot of deer that were lost . If you don't see it go in you don't know if it was a bad shot or not. And how many people swear that it was a perfect shot only to find out it was a gut shot. It is always easy to blame the equipment instead of the monkey behind the string.
Typically a light blood trail isn't from a shot thru the lungs, or it is high up thru the lungs and the blood doesn't leak out like it will in the lower half of the lung cavity . low hits bleed more outside, high hits bleed into the lung cavity. Guts and legs don't bleed much .
Pete, not arguing that shot placement is the most important. .. it is the most important. ....but when people call me to help them, 95% of the time, the constant variable i see is 2 blades....when you dont find the deer , you really dont know where they been hit. .. just my experience, 3 blades bring down more animals. ..even if the shot is buggered...from my experience. I also believe 3 blades fly better ....

You bleeding theory is correct for the most part.... but there are numerous factors that can change things.... hunt long enough and you'll witness all sorts of things.

Field points and blunt arrows will kill, with shot placement. ... but thats not the question. The question is 2 or 3 blades...without any other deciding factors....i will never put a two blade head on my arrows.....ever... just my opinion...doesnt make it wrong if you use two blades pete...its all opinion and preferences.

Last edited by pottymouth; 11-17-2014 at 08:55 AM.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofDixie View Post
What do yall think of single bevel vs double bevel? And it's the fixed blades that I'm leaning towards.

Thanks guys
Watched a video and they say that the single bevel causes a rotational effect as it goes through the animal causing a larger wound and the double bevel is more of a straight penetration. But they also said its really up to personal choice so I can't imagine that one out penetrates another.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:07 AM

http://www.dirtnapgear.com/faqmws.html

Question number 2 they explain all the differences
Old 11-17-2014, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Pete, not arguing that shot placement is the most important. .. it is the most important. ....but when people call me to help them, 95% of the time, the constant variable i see is 2 blades....when you dont find the deer , you really dont know where they been hit. .. just my experience, 3 blades bring down more animals. ..even if the shot is buggered...from my experience. I also believe 3 blades fly better ....

You bleeding theory is correct for the most part.... but there are numerous factors that can change things.... hunt long enough and you'll witness all sorts of things.

Field points and blunt arrows will kill, with shot placement. ... but thats not the question. The question is 2 or 3 blades...without any other deciding factors....i will never put a two blade head on my arrows.....ever... just my opinion...doesnt make it wrong if you use two blades pete...its all opinion and preferences.
We all make our choices, I use both 2 and 3 blade heads depending on what bow I take . The thing that gets cloudy is when we get called to help track we are taking the guys word he made that "perfect shot" he claims to make. God forbid he would ever admit to screwing up a bit. So for an out he blames his equipment . 2 blade or Mechanical didn't open, etc. But the reality is the 2 blade is not at fault, it is shot placement. Far to many perfectly shot animals are lost , not from the style of head , but from poor shot placement , that the shooter thinks is a perfect shot.
Then we have people repeating the story about the 2 blade or mechanical failing, and they realy do not know that this is the cause . The animal is not found so for all we know it was hit in the ass or the hoof.

A muscle shot animal can and will clot up, but this does not happen in the lungs or heart where the arrow is supposed to be.
As for hunting long enough, well I probably have hunting boots and socks that are older than most of the guys on here have been breathing.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofDixie View Post

Thanks guys
The single bevel has it's followers, but I don't buy into the hype that it splits bones. The ribs and thin part of the blade is easy to get thru, but big bones stop bullets. You are not going to shoot thru the big shoulder bones on a moose. You can't break these with 1 swing from your best axe, so an arrow is certainly not going to get thru them and into the lungs.

The other problem with a single bevel is you need to match them to the fletching , and they are harder to sharpen than a conventional 2 blade.
The success with the grizzly heads is without question, but I don't think a single bevel is making it succesfull, it is the ratio of length to width and the strength of the grizzly that makes them work well.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:01 AM

Quote:
The single bevel has it's followers, but I don't buy into the hype that it splits bones. The ribs and thin part of the blade is easy to get thru, but big bones stop bullets. You are not going to shoot thru the big shoulder bones on a moose. You can't break these with 1 swing from your best axe, so an arrow is certainly not going to get thru them and into the lungs.

The other problem with a single bevel is you need to match them to the fletching , and they are harder to sharpen than a conventional 2 blade.
The success with the grizzly heads is without question, but I don't think a single bevel is making it succesfull, it is the ratio of length to width and the strength of the grizzly that makes them work well.
Right. I read where it is supposed to have a spiral effect inside the animal but i like to hear real world experience over what the website says.

I was wondering if they needed to be matched to fletching due to said spiral effect. How would i go about figuring that out?
Old 11-17-2014, 10:16 AM

Quote:
We all make our choices, I use both 2 and 3 blade heads depending on what bow I take . The thing that gets cloudy is when we get called to help track we are taking the guys word he made that "perfect shot" he claims to make. God forbid he would ever admit to screwing up a bit. So for an out he blames his equipment . 2 blade or Mechanical didn't open, etc. But the reality is the 2 blade is not at fault, it is shot placement. Far to many perfectly shot animals are lost , not from the style of head , but from poor shot placement , that the shooter thinks is a perfect shot.
Then we have people repeating the story about the 2 blade or mechanical failing, and they realy do not know that this is the cause . The animal is not found so for all we know it was hit in the ass or the hoof.

A muscle shot animal can and will clot up, but this does not happen in the lungs or heart where the arrow is supposed to be.
As for hunting long enough, well I probably have hunting boots and socks that are older than most of the guys on here have been breathing.
X2 any sharp broadhead in the right place will do the job. I like the 3 blade Rage but I have killed probably 40 big game animals with 2 blade rage as well. Even found the ones with marginal hits. As LC stated, I also like the hole that a 3 blade leaves and I think it leaves a better blood trail. I have certainly got the call to help people that shoot Grim Reapers, Muzzys, Slick tricks and an assortment of other heads, as Petew states, shot placement is everything.