Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-15-2009, 07:53 PM

Default Ghost Reservoir Burbot

Where on Ghost Res. is good for burbot and what depths do you guys fish for them? I am heading there tomorrow mid afternoon until dark. Anything you pass on would be appreciated.

Cheers
Old 01-16-2009, 10:22 PM

I'll post to myself then.

Went to Ghost from 4:30pm until 9pm, caught one little burbot around 5:45 and that's it. Thought we'd catch more. Should have taken the advice on this forum that it is a slow lake to fish. Oh well live and learn. Had a great time anyway.

Cheers
Old 01-17-2009, 12:15 PM

Ghost lake is tough for the most part but the Burbot fishing can be very good. I used to fish in front of the village and do well after dark on the burbs, and they get big in there. Give it a month and it will pick up. If you can drive on go towards the village and stop just east of it and you should do ok.

In the spring we used to fish towards the old church on the north shore, just east of that is the big bend. We would fish there at night just at ice out and it was unreal. This was along time ago but I can't see it being much different, but check on access as that is native land.

Hope this helps.

Alex Kreis
Old 01-17-2009, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex K View Post
Ghost lake is tough for the most part but the Burbot fishing can be very good. I used to fish in front of the village and do well after dark on the burbs, and they get big in there. Give it a month and it will pick up. If you can drive on go towards the village and stop just east of it and you should do ok.

In the spring we used to fish towards the old church on the north shore, just east of that is the big bend. We would fish there at night just at ice out and it was unreal. This was along time ago but I can't see it being much different, but check on access as that is native land.

Hope this helps.

Alex Kreis

Thanks for your response Alex. My dad told me about the old church location and used to fish there years ago when it wasn't a big deal to access the land.

Yesterday I went north of the 1A bridge about 1km and we only caught the one (there was 4 of us fishing). Is there a boat launch to drive onto the lake at Ghost Village? If yes is the general public able to use it or did you just walk on?

Thanks again, Cheers,
Denny
Old 01-17-2009, 08:50 PM

Default Burbs

At the end of the big sand bank their is a sandy point, I fish about 50 yards off of shore, in about 30ft, use a glow in the dark jig head with a minnow and lie it on bottom and you will catch a bunch.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:30 PM

Went to Ghost today for a few hours until about 6pm. Was a little leery driving on the ice as I couldn't see any well marked trails, any place (besides near the dam and close to shore) that you need to worry about?

Since we've never been there before we just parked at the parking lot at the west end of the day use area and walked out on the ice about 50 yards. Didn't get any bites at all unfortunately but still a nice day to be outside. Wasn't expecting the water to be that deep (probably 40'). Wish I knew the tip that Brian mentioned but at least next time I'll have some place to try. Is that old church still there or reminants of it to get some point of reference?

Thanks.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_levesque View Post
At the end of the big sand bank their is a sandy point, I fish about 50 yards off of shore, in about 30ft, use a glow in the dark jig head with a minnow and lie it on bottom and you will catch a bunch.
We arrived and headed north of the bridge when there was light out. By the time we left it was dark so couldn't see much to scout out afterwards. Where is the "sand bank" you are talking about? Near the south boat launch or at the village, or north of the 1A bridge?

Thanks in advance, Cheers
Old 01-18-2009, 10:06 AM

Default Burbs

There is not public access from the ghost lake village, you have to drive up the lake. The church is the old Mcdougal church at the far west end of the lake. I don't think I would be driving up there right now. The ice on the lake is only12-14" thick and there are some wet spots with about a foot of water in them. Try going across the lake to the south side around the island. There is a shack over there. If you fish the west end of the island there is a big sand and gravel bar there. You should be able to get some burbs and whites there, go north off that point and find 35-40 feet and fish for lakers. I was out yesterday for a couple of hours and got 3 lakers, biggest 2 lbs
Old 01-18-2009, 06:26 PM

im a ***** and dont like driving on the lake ... im trying to catch some lakers ... and suggestions where i should go ..... i tried fishing near the bridge about a week ago and i had no luck....
Old 01-18-2009, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icefever View Post
There is not public access from the ghost lake village, you have to drive up the lake. The church is the old Mcdougal church at the far west end of the lake. I don't think I would be driving up there right now. The ice on the lake is only12-14" thick and there are some wet spots with about a foot of water in them. Try going across the lake to the south side around the island. There is a shack over there. If you fish the west end of the island there is a big sand and gravel bar there. You should be able to get some burbs and whites there, go north off that point and find 35-40 feet and fish for lakers. I was out yesterday for a couple of hours and got 3 lakers, biggest 2 lbs
I second this info. Thanks to icefever (by pm) I tried this spot for 2 hours early this morning. Had good luck, one white and two lakers of not bad size at all. No burbs though, yet to get one of those.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:05 AM

The access info is correct. We used to drive on with quads up to the village. We would fish south side of the Island in the morning and during the day for lakers and whites. Then as the day progressed we would move to the north shore just east of the village and get set up for the night feed on Burbs.

As for the church, there is a well site just east of that and we used to walk in from there before the sun went down, giving us time to get set up for the night bite. We even managed a few Lakers and browns before the sun went down. By the way this is a spring first ice-out spot. We would hit it just when the open water reached that big bend. It was awesome everytime out. The only hitch is I don't know what restrictions have been put in place by the local native band. You may need to check, back then it was no big deal.

Alex Kreis
Old 01-19-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icefever View Post
I have spent time on the south side by the island as well. I haven't been out to Ghost this year, and I'm getting nervous about driving on with this warm weather. Should I be? Is the drive across to the south side ok? Is there much snow on the ice? If we could not drive on, we used to go across with our skates. If the wind is at your back, you can sure pick up some good speed.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:33 PM

I wouldn't drive on it, that lake scares me for that. I took the quad and sled.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:10 PM

There where people driving on the lake today. It is colder out there than in calgary. About 14-16" of ice. I caught 2 whites and 2 lakers this morning, lost a ling, wind was cold. Think I will go try barrier on Wednesday
Old 01-20-2009, 11:08 PM

Default Lost camera

DAMMIT!!!!! Just got home from Ghost and cannot find my camera. Pretty sure it fell out of my pocket on the way off the lake. I parked at the boat launch on the south side of hwy 1A and walked down to the lake on the south end of the parking lot and then headed west about 200 yards.

It could have fallen out while I was coming back up to the parking lot or while I was packing up.

Slim chance I will find it, but gotta give it a shot tomorrow morning. Oh well, guess I'll be late for work and might as well do some fishing while I'm at it.

Other than that, the fishing was slow, but saw something I will never forget. About 7:45 pm ( somewhere around that time, anyways ), I was talking on my cell when all of a sudden the entire lake lit up. It was as if the sun was coming up. I looked straight above me and saw a meteor burning across the sky going from north to south. Long streak of orange and bright white and then it looked like a small explosion and then broke into tiny pieces and faded away. Lasted about 3 seconds or so. Not as big as the one on the news this summer around Loyd. It was one of, if not the coolest thing I have ever seen.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:15 AM

Default Camera Found

Lucked out. Went out early this morning and my camera was right there in the parking lot right where I was parked last night. Whew. That would have been a $450 loss.

Giving Ghost another try next week. This time I will tie my camera around my neck.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briverb View Post
Lucked out. Went out early this morning and my camera was right there in the parking lot right where I was parked last night. Whew. That would have been a $450 loss.

Nice - very lucky. Catch anything while you were out there?
Old 01-21-2009, 08:23 PM

Nice - very lucky. Catch anything while you were out there?[/QUOTE]

I did not actually fish this morning. Found my camera at 7 am and decided to get back to make it to work on time. Would have been a nice morning to fish it. Not much wind at all when I arrived. Not sure what it was like the rest of the day out there, though.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex K View Post
The access info is correct. We used to drive on with quads up to the village. We would fish south side of the Island in the morning and during the day for lakers and whites. Then as the day progressed we would move to the north shore just east of the village and get set up for the night feed on Burbs.

As for the church, there is a well site just east of that and we used to walk in from there before the sun went down, giving us time to get set up for the night bite. We even managed a few Lakers and browns before the sun went down. By the way this is a spring first ice-out spot. We would hit it just when the open water reached that big bend. It was awesome everytime out. The only hitch is I don't know what restrictions have been put in place by the local native band. You may need to check, back then it was no big deal.

Alex Kreis

Are you saying we can't access the lake even on foot via the village? Or just not by truck/motorized vehicle? I don't remember how the village is set up, it's been a very long time since I briefly drove in there.

Cheers
Old 01-31-2009, 02:38 PM

Default Burbot

What's the average size you guys are getting for burbot on Ghost Res.? So far all I've caught is 5 or 6 that were quite small (maybe 1-2 pounds). Not much flesh on them once they've been filleted. Was hoping to get 4+ pounders.

Cheers
Old 01-31-2009, 02:56 PM

Default Ghost

Was there in the summer. Marked lots of fish but not even a nibble
Old 02-01-2009, 09:44 AM

If youre looking for Burbs head to Crawling Valley.

We have been there 3 weeks in a row and caught atleast 1 4 pounder each week. 7 in total over 3 weeks and lots of hits
Old 02-01-2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryRoadz View Post
If youre looking for Burbs head to Crawling Valley.

We have been there 3 weeks in a row and caught atleast 1 4 pounder each week. 7 in total over 3 weeks and lots of hits
Thanks for the info. on CVR. Still curious about Ghost Res. burbot sizes as it is barely 40 minutes from my house versus over 2 hours to get to CVR.

Cheers
Old 02-01-2009, 06:17 PM

I caught some fair size burbs out there, in front of the village along the east shore. Have not been out this year but in years past watch out for the pressure ridge. Remember that the water level is always changing, there for the ice is never safe out there.IMO
Gramps
Old 02-01-2009, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramps73 View Post
I caught some fair size burbs out there, in front of the village along the east shore. Have not been out this year but in years past watch out for the pressure ridge. Remember that the water level is always changing, there for the ice is never safe out there.IMO
Gramps
Do you drive to the village on the ice from the 1A bridge or do you park at the village and walk on to the ice?

Cheers and thanks for the feedback Gramps.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:11 AM

Fished the Ghost on Saturday. Lots of people driving on the lake. The Ghost village is private. They don't like you parking in there and walking out to the lake. I wasn't looking for burbs, got 3 lakers, brown and 2 whitefish