Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-01-2009, 04:21 PM

Default Night fishing question

What are the exact regulations on night fishing? I Thought you were able to do it on all lakes but reading the regulations has confused me. I noticed Snipe Lake has a note added to its posting that says you can fish it 24 hours a day from Jan 1 - Sept 30? Have I been wrong thinking night fishing was legal all this time at lakes such as Gull?

Last edited by goober; 02-01-2009 at 05:43 PM.
Old 02-01-2009, 04:53 PM

I had someone tell me that it was illeagal to fish at night anywhere in Alberta, being fresh from Ontario I asked an SRD officer about this and he had only ever heard of some spots in the national parks with regs like this. I have read the regs for my area and havent come across it anywhere. Back in Ontario and lotsa other places night time can be the best time for catching huge browns in shallow water.
Old 02-01-2009, 05:09 PM

night time is great for walleye fishing. if you're asking about using a light, yes that is illegal unless the light is attached to your line.(last time i checked anyway)
Old 02-01-2009, 05:42 PM

After some more research I have found the answer to my own question. I overlooked one paragraph in general regulations stating it is legal to fish all bodies of water 24 hours a day unless specified. So Snipe lake is just closed for night fishing from Oct 1 - Dec 31. Let me know if I have misread something here again!
Old 02-01-2009, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goober View Post
After some more research I have found the answer to my own question. I overlooked one paragraph in general regulations stating it is legal to fish all bodies of water 24 hours a day unless specified. So Snipe lake is just closed for night fishing from Oct 1 - Dec 31. Let me know if I have misread something here again!
I do lots of Night fishing in the spring and , summer and fall , haven't done much over the winter but when it warm up I sure do . Even have the glow bobbers and all the other stuff , lantern , big spot lights . Its a fun fun time . Never been heckled by the Conservation officers , once by the RCMP , but just wanted to make sure all was good . Its awesome .
Old 02-01-2009, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goober View Post
Yes, Sturgeon has a similar restriction, but last time I checked the regs I thought it went until Jan 31. It has been like this for years, and I've been told it has to do with the whitefish spawn.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:25 PM
Banned

Crawling valley ,
No fishing after sunset ,May31st to Nov 30th ,Newell ,Mcgreger , the same , so your good ta fish all night and drink rum.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
Even have the glow bobbers and all the other stuff , lantern , big spot lights . Its a fun fun time . Never been heckled by the Conservation officers , once by the RCMP....
Glow bobbers, glow lures, glow sticks attached to the line... sure. Lanterns and spotlights? Isn't that verging very closely on jacklighting? I got hassled by F&W for having a headlamp for tying on flies in the dark... can't imagine that you wouldn't for a spotlight?

Old 02-02-2009, 12:24 AM

Nightfishing was banned on some lakes to curtail poaching. Be sure to check the regs for those under this rule. It's handy to use this board for discussion and questions but I for one would want it in black and white - why take chances.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
Glow bobbers, glow lures, glow sticks attached to the line... sure. Lanterns and spotlights? Isn't that verging very closely on jacklighting? I got hassled by F&W for having a headlamp for tying on flies in the dark... can't imagine that you wouldn't for a spotlight?
Not a spot light more like a million candle power flash light.Let me just clarify that.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uicehole View Post
Nightfishing was banned on some lakes to curtail poaching. Be sure to check the regs for those under this rule. It's handy to use this board for discussion and questions but I for one would want it in black and white - why take chances.
Always this is just a resource you should always know your regulations. In fact I always have a copy in my tackle box , truck or boat.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:42 AM

i can see fishing at night in the winter when you are on the ice camping etc but how does one night fish in the summer isnt it a bit dangerous in a boat? and fly fishing how do you see what the hell you are doing? maybe im just a putz but i get hooked when i can see where everything is lol
Old 02-02-2009, 10:45 AM

I have had some great luck jigging for Walleye in the summer at night.