Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-02-2009, 10:51 AM

Default Jiffy oil leaking

Has anybody seen this problem? I have a Jiffy 2hp, pretty new, only maybe drilled 20 holes or so in three years since I bought it new. I had it ready to go last week strapped only my sled on it's side and in the morning when I left I noticed a puddle of oil on the sled. It was clear clean oil and it looked like it came out of the gearbox? I'd say it leaked about a 1/4 cup of oil. I don't see anything in the manual or online that says why this could happen or what oil to use in the gearbox.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:25 AM

Default leaky oil

Check to see if it is coming out of the exhaust tube on the bottom of the engine ... That is normal , they always do that ... Any where else have it checked ....Its the oil from the gas ... Lay it down with the tube up , its a little better ...
Old 02-02-2009, 11:41 AM

From the sound of it I think you're right......it's probably from the gearbox. If it were from the fuel, it would be colored and not straight oil. I had the same problem with a Jiffy I used to own. My advice is to get it in to an authorized Jiffy repair shop before you use it again. Hopefully it is just a seal & the internal gears haven't been damaged. If so, it shouldn't be an expensive fix, and it might be under warrenty. Alternatively, you could open the gear box yourself, but you would almost certainly have to replace the gasket, as well as being careful not to get the gears out of place. I can't remember what the inside looks like, so can't offer advice re: probability of things coming loose when you open the gearbox. Safest bet is to let the professionals do it, but that's a decision you have to make. Good luck!
Old 02-02-2009, 12:25 PM

Default Jiffy

Thanks for the advice. Yes I think it may be a gearbox gasket. Definately not
from the exaust or gas mixture. Looks like clean motor oil. Maybe the gasket dried up from not using it. I don't think I even started it last year. I'll take it in for service. Anybody know who to take it to in Calgary?
Old 02-02-2009, 01:55 PM

Default Jiffy in calgary

My 2006 Jiffy Mdl 30 had a cracked carb right out of the box ..

Took it to Action Engine , off Blackfoot. It was right as rain in no time ..

They are the Jiffy warranty service guys ....W101