Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 01-23-2010, 02:44 PM

Default Archery In Red Deer(the best experience of my life)

I decided to get back in to Archery after being out of it for ten years, So I bought a bow, Some Aluminum arrows. I have been so excited to shoot for the first time in ten years. So I headed to Red Deer. Got a few things done to my bow. Diverted my parallel limb bow from being destroyed in a bow press. I was insulted for shooting aluminum arrows. I guess there no good to shoot anymore. And was told how durable Carbons arrows are. And the stupid abuse that they put them through.(Arrows are to be shot at a target or so I thought) I would rather shoot a bent Aluminum arrow than a carbon that is spilt and not visible any day. Ask my friend that put one through his hand. Not saying I would never shot them because I have and liked them but some people are not spoiled. I kept my cool and remained polite, I guess my 25 years in archery means nothing I am still a newbie. And after things were done I paid and said "I will be back to shoot another day" and walked out never to return again. Boy was i disappointed. Still can't wait to shoot for the first time still and find some one that wants my business. AND ALL MY FRIENDS TOO!!!!!
Old 01-23-2010, 08:50 PM

Let me know if you find somewhere good to shoot around red deer. Its not worth the fifteen or so dollars you pay to shoot at a target 20 yards away MAX.

-Jeff

PS. Congratulations on coming back to archery. Shoot me a PM if you wanna shoot the ****
Old 01-23-2010, 08:50 PM

Sorry to hear about your bad experience.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:13 PM

Ya wish there was a real club around Red Deer. I guess my back yard is going to have work. At least my shooting lane unlimited there. But it is always hoot to shoot with a bunch of guys and gals and have a little fun competition. Well maybe this Post will bring about some guys and gals that want a real club, I'm in with thought. How many more is there?
Old 01-23-2010, 09:14 PM

I'm interested, if you want to get a mini club up and running. Shoot me a PM. I figure we could get somethign serious going.

-Jeff
Old 01-24-2010, 09:08 AM
Banned

I am in with the club, This area needs a respectable club. Windknot I had the same problem. I wasn't trying to be rude but as soon as you show you have experience with archery they get threatened. I myself have 20+ years under my belt and started doing all my own bow maintenance and my friends after. Now I am going to try turning it into a little side gig. Maybe I will call it Side Show Archery LOL. Give me a PM

BowMedic
Old 01-24-2010, 03:10 PM

Honestly it sounds to me like you seem to be threatened by some one who knows what they are doing and does so for a living, who just happens to be a woman. And before you say i don't know what I'm talking about either i was there when you came into the shop and NO ONE insulted you on shooting aluminium arrows they simply asked you why you were shooting them when carbons have many more benefits over them and are cheaper to buy, and if you cant tell if a carbon arrow is damaged then it just proves to me that you have little practical experience in the sport, yeah sure you may have been shooting for awhile but that doesn't mean S when it comes to knowing anything about new equipment. The people who are in that club know what they are talking about, otherwise im pretty sure that all the archers that have been taught by the coaches there would not be as successful as they are, Red Deer Archery has helped train some of the best shooters from the area, and to me your unwillingness to accept advice from these people shows that you are the one who is threatened and not them. So by all means go start your own little boys club and see how easy it is for yourself, oh and also your little back yard bow shop good luck!

Last edited by lilsundance; 01-25-2010 at 10:53 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:26 PM

I think you are getting 2 people mixed up. the people that know me know I am very opened minded. I visited there several time. Ya I have been out of the sport for 10 years if you read my post. And I am not up to date with all the tech. But nobody needs to ask me y I do something. I wanted to join the club not anymore. I like advice not some one telling me what to do. I paid 56$ for a dozen aluminum arrow I don't think I could get the same with carbons. I know my bemans use to cost around 450$ when set up 10 years ago. Money doesn't grow on trees. And I was a member of a HUGE club when I was 16. I am not saying I know everything, NOBODY DOES my parallel limb bow just about got blown up in the wrong vice. I should have let it happen. i have no prob with women in the sport. Mybe stick to answering one post at a time. Very Very confusing. READ THE FIRST POST. U make no sense, Just like the club.

Last edited by Windknot; 01-24-2010 at 04:32 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:40 PM
Banned

Bummer
Old 01-24-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Dforme View Post
Honestly it sounds to me like you seem to be threatened by some one who knows what they are doing and does so for a living, who just happens to be a woman. And before you say i don't know what I'm talking about either i was there when you came into the shop and NO ONE insulted you on shooting aluminium arrows they simply asked you why you were shooting them when carbons have many more benefits over them and are cheaper to buy, and if you cant tell if a carbon arrow is damaged then it just proves to me that you have little practical experience in the sport, yeah sure you may have been shooting for awhile but that doesn't mean SFA when it comes to knowing anything about new equipment. The people who are in that club know what they are talking about, otherwise im pretty sure that all the archers that have been taught by the coaches there would not be as successful as they are, Red Deer Archery has helped train some of the best shooters from the area, and to me your unwillingness to accept advice from these people shows that you are the one who is threatened and not them. So by all means go start your own little boys club and see how easy it is for yourself, oh and also your little back yard bow shop good luck!

If you work there, this is some BAD advertising.
I tried to buy a new bow there last year, they did not seem to interested, did not look like I could afford it I guess - other shops need business to.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:02 PM

when did i say i worked there? i just said i was there at the time.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:26 PM

I believe I said IF. Still bad advertisement , your nice comments to the original poster.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:33 PM

when exactly was I advertising anything? last time i checked advertising was against the rules.

Last edited by 3Dforme; 01-24-2010 at 05:33 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-24-2010, 06:20 PM

I was getting back into archery about a year ago now. I went into the shop several times. I honestly tried to give it a chance but couldn't take it. I've often wondered what that business could be if customers were treated properly. I know how difficult it can be to run a business...I've lost everything once already. I'd love to go shoot somewhere but I'll never go back in those doors.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:01 PM

3Dforme the only people that were there were people that worked there. It is quiet apparent that I am not the only one that thinks this way.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:40 PM

In all honesty I haven't shot in over 10-years and really,really wanted to shot that day. Ask everyone that knows me I talked about it all week. I wish I could have wrote a great comment but the damage is done, what is done is done. Hind sight is always 20/20. Take care of your customers or someone else will. Don't be little them, Help them. Thats what you are there for. They pay yours bills. And running a club can't be that hard, considering how I have seen them ran LOL. I guess off to Pipestone I know he wants my business. And will treat me good. I have dealt there lots in the past.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:18 PM

I'm really very surprised to hear all this. I've been in there quite a few times over the last 5 or 6 years, bought some stuff and had some work done on my bow and have always found them to be extremely friendly, helpful and knowlegable. In fact, when I read the originator's first post, I really thought he/she must be talking about about some shop other than the one I've been dealing with - but apparently not. Very strange indeed.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:39 PM

Default poor service = bad business

I had the same experience there last year trying to pick up some alums for my brother " oh you dont want those they are way to expensive nobody uses those anymore we dont even carry them" I was told. never been back since. im lucky its the same distance to CAC as to RD I shoot beman hunter 400 a doz= $125 all in my son shoots easton xx75 2314 cobalts a doz=$120. huh they still make them go figure
Old 01-24-2010, 10:15 PM
Banned

Almost 10 years up and running and my storage room is more organized. No I am not threatened by a women working on my bow. But lets put it this way if you were to take your vehicle for an oil change or for some mech. work and you couldn't find your way around the shop and there work bench was full of crap would you let them work on it. I wouldn't. There is a reason that no one hears about them after 10 years in businesses, go figure. Don't worry lots of people bring there bows to me for work. I am confident about that. Keep on giving me work please and thank you.
LIGHTS OUT
BOO YA
Old 01-25-2010, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windknot View Post
Ya wish there was a real club around Red Deer. I guess my back yard is going to have work. At least my shooting lane unlimited there. But it is always hoot to shoot with a bunch of guys and gals and have a little fun competition. Well maybe this Post will bring about some guys and gals that want a real club, I'm in with thought. How many more is there?
As far as your backyard, if you live in town of Lacombe i'm sure their bylaws don' allow shooting in town limits! The fine will not make your shooting experience enjoyable. As far as a "REAL CLUB" Central Alberta Archers is a renouned club in Alberta! It has an awesome junior program which has recieved praise from it's affiliated organization(ATAA) & has consistantly won numerous gold,silver,bronze medals @ Alberta Winter Games/Provincial championships & National Archery Championships! The club is joined by two other clubs in Alberta to put on one of,if not the largest 3D shoots in Canada! I guess 250-350 plus shooters from all over western Canada that have come for almost a decade must be happy with archer in Red Deer!!

If you were unhappy with your visit i'm sorry to hear it, but bashing an organization with such credentials is irresponsible on your part. Back Country was never an archery shop & had little knowledge of tech problems. Sportsman's Den recommends RDAC to it's customers. With being out of archery for as long as you have, thereis new innovations,equip., tools goin'ons in the archery world.

I understand if you prefer aluminums to carbons, we all have our preference but i doubt if they mocked you for still shooting them. I know they don't carry them because of the little demand or request for them. Would you keep thousands of dollars of inventory that doesn't move, i think not!

The archery CLUB is run by a small group of volunteers & is assisted by the RDAC. Without them the club would die! Would appreciate you & your friends joining our membership. If not, please do not put out so negative comments online when so many are so pleased with the club & the shop.

Thxs for your time & try to enjoy Archery!
Old 01-25-2010, 07:11 PM

I found the same thing with other shops...., I too am getting back into it after 111-12 years. I find it frustrating when I used to shoot bottle caps @ 60 yards all the time without even thinking about it, and now I'm just trying to get a tight group.

Anyway... Try CAC in Calgary good service, everything is explained, even with aluminum arrows. The staff is courtious and very knowlegeable. In support of the Red Deer group,
Old 01-25-2010, 09:54 PM

I too had a not very good experience at the RAC. Was also looking at their new bows and was interested in buying one and they we're helping their friends who came in way after I did, while I had money in pocket burning holes. When she finally asked me if there was something she could help me with I just said, nah just looking. Got a good deal elsewhere.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:15 PM

I never bashed anyone, I was just talking about my experience. But it seems to me its own members do a mighty fine job of that elitexlr. As far as town bylaws go, there isn't any that the bylaw officer knows about, just for fire arms. But I guess bash me for shooting in my own backyard. My family has allot of land I can shoot on when ever I want to. And who mentioned names here? I didn't. And as far a Sportsmen Den they have never referred me there, but they did tell me to try Canadian Tire for a release since they are getting out of archery and had none left.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:43 AM

Archery tackle is considered a weapon(projectile shot powered by muscle,air,gunpowder, etc. Read your hunting regs. I too wish i had lots of land to shoot on but i don't, so please cease your person attack on RAC. Real archers rely on this establishment to shoot their equip.

Wish you good luck on gettin' back into archery, it's an awesome sport! Yes, try another shop & perhaps you may observe how archery has changed over past decade. Hopefully other archers @ said shops can help you with your rusty views on archery.

Perhaps if you could swallow your pride, you should come to Mother of all Shoots last week in Feb. or Canadian Indoor 3D Nationals in early Apr. both helld @ westerner as a competitor or a spectator. No admission fee for watching & see a "REAL" archery club @ work! See ya there.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:15 PM

Wow.

I am sorry to hear about your experience Windknot.
I've never noticed the sort of thing you did any time I've been there.
Lots has changed in archery over the past 10 years as others have stated. I've actually been an archer for 24 years and have shot in many different places across Canada. I never expect to be treated any different than anyone else and feel confident with my own knowledge. Archery is in part about learning. If I'd been out of the sport for 10 years I'd gather a few opinions and some facts before I'd rail against a single experience.
I've learned that what I knew about compound bows and carbon arrows is out dated. I don't shoot compound but I did buy carbon arrows to shoot from one of my bows because they are tougher than aluminum.
I've also learned that an archery club is a very difficult thing to run without having it become an "old boys club" filled with narrow minds. Central Alberta Archers has managed to run for about 12 years. They did have some land to shoot on but lost it due to the farmer selling it. They organize the largest indoor 3d shoot I've ever been to not to mention the best. They were asked to host Nationals for the second year running.
I wish you luck and straight shooting. Be sure to post up if you manage to arrange an outdoor range in the Lacombe/ Red Deer area with the appropriate insurance and zoning so I can join.
I'm not sure about Lacombe but every town/city I've lived in forbade the discharge of weapons within its corporate limits.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:51 PM

WOW look at how far this post has gone, I am amazed. From people having the same experience as myself, to bashing a single person with just a screen name. To bashing backyard shooting and old rusty habits that all I was doing was looking for advice. When it would have been all over with a simple apology 16 posts ago. I really don't care how stupid people think they are making me look. I am just a screen name and only one person. I never went looking for a fight that day, I was looking to be a club member, and at the time I was very excited to join, my plans were to be a member practice a bit and hit my first shoot in over 10 years. And if I couldn't I would have been a spectator cheering on new friend that I could have possibly met. But WOW, 3Dforme summed it all up. So on and so on and so on. I just can't believe out of all of this not one apology, not just to me but the rest of the people that had bad experiences. This is just the first one that hit the forum. It just blows me away. And plants my opinion even stronger. So before anyone else posts a come back. If you want this to be over, just let sleeping dogs lay. It does go to show how something like this, you can try to defend but your just ****ing in your own sinking boat.

SO IF YOU WANT IT OVER DON"T POST ANYMORE, I think there was enough damage done from its own group.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:11 PM

[size="7"[/size]sorry!
Old 01-26-2010, 10:10 PM

Like I said elitexlr do you want over, because this post could REALLY damage and scare the name if it drags on any futher. And I am sure you don't want that. Because I am just a lone person not a group. I would hate one member be the nail in the coffin. LET THIS BE THE LAST POST
Old 04-21-2010, 01:30 PM

Ponoka Fish and Game has an outdoor range and shoots Wed nights. It may be worth the drive.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:56 PM

Default Dead wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by elitexlr View Post

As far as your backyard, if you live in town of Lacombe i'm sure their bylaws don' allow shooting in town limits! The fine will not make your shooting experience enjoyable. As far as a "REAL CLUB" Central Alberta Archers is a renouned club in Alberta! It has an awesome junior program which has recieved praise from it's affiliated organization(ATAA) & has consistantly won numerous gold,silver,bronze medals @ Alberta Winter Games/Provincial championships & National Archery Championships! The club is joined by two other clubs in Alberta to put on one of,if not the largest 3D shoots in Canada! I guess 250-350 plus shooters from all over western Canada that have come for almost a decade must be happy with archer in Red Deer!!

If you were unhappy with your visit i'm sorry to hear it, but bashing an organization with such credentials is irresponsible on your part. Nobody cares what the credentials are of a organization in reality, that will just get people in the door, how they are treated once they are there makes the difference and it would appear from the op that he was mistreated, not well taken care of periodBack Country was never an archery shop & had little knowledge of tech problems. Sportsman's Den recommends RDAC to it's customers. With being out of archery for as long as you have, thereis new innovations,equip., tools goin'ons in the archery world.

I understand if you prefer aluminums to carbons, we all have our preference but i doubt if they mocked you for still shooting them.How can you speculate on what happened? The op was relating how he felt in a given situation. Were you there? I know they don't carry them because of the little demand or request for them. Would you keep thousands of dollars of inventory that doesn't move, i think not!What is inventoried is up to the vendor of course.......

The archery CLUB is run by a small group of volunteers & is assisted by the RDAC. Without them the club would die! Would appreciate you & your friends joining our membership. If not, please do not put out so negative comments online when so many are so pleased with the club & the shop. The original poster has every right to express his feelings and impressions of how he was treated.........

Thxs for your time & try to enjoy Archery!