Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-15-2023, 07:38 AM

Default Grain Prices

Just going through harvest and looking at prices being offered compared to last year with much surprise. Prices are down big time but I don’t understand, the media and politicians said record droughts and the special military operation were going to cause world shortages of grain. Well I’m no economist but if there is a shortage of something the price goes up not down.

Just wanted to hear what other guys in the province are finding regarding prices offered for wheat and barley.
Old 09-15-2023, 07:44 AM

Typical harvest pressure. They are trying to scare us to sell as much as we can for as cheap as they can buy it. They do it every year.
Old 09-15-2023, 08:05 AM

Bought two more bins, but will run out of room anyway, so had to sell some barley. Price was around $6.25/bushel. Not great.
Old 09-15-2023, 08:26 AM

No one wants to drink Bud Light anymore so how can Barley stay high????

I do a lot of buying and selling of all grain commodities grown in Alberta.

Harvest pressure for one and buyers taking advantage of those that need bin space or cash flow. But also record amounts of corn coming into the feed lots from the south. Most feed lots have switched from barley to corn. Its going to take a couple years of bumper barley crops in North America to get feeders to switch back.

Don't believe what the news tells you. Most of my over seas buyers have said the same thing regarding Russia/Ukraine wheat. The wheat is still moving out the backdoor of Russia and Ukraine via rail lines to other countries shipping ports.
Old 09-15-2023, 06:52 PM

Alot of Grain pricing has to do with how much was booked in the spring, how much was delivered, and how much is being asked for.

Big users like flour mills have to book for a set price for the future pricing in the future. Last thing they want is to get pinched with a poor crop and high prices.

That is where the deliveries come in. If contracts are delivered on at a set price, the remaining crop that is available for market really depends on "new" demand which may not exist. That is why the current price may not be so great.

That and Russia may be dumping anything they can into the World market soaking up demand for Canadian Grains.

Now if India or China wants all that we can deliver, there WOULD be a significant price. I wonder if there is Someone who has managed to alienate these big purchasers, you know, like in the Federal Government??

Drewski
Old 09-15-2023, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IL Bar View Post
Typical harvest pressure. They are trying to scare us to sell as much as we can for as cheap as they can buy it. They do it every year.
Yup
Old 09-15-2023, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
Alot of Grain pricing has to do with how much was booked in the spring, how much was delivered, and how much is being asked for.

Big users like flour mills have to book for a set price for the future pricing in the future. Last thing they want is to get pinched with a poor crop and high prices.

That is where the deliveries come in. If contracts are delivered on at a set price, the remaining crop that is available for market really depends on "new" demand which may not exist. That is why the current price may not be so great.

That and Russia may be dumping anything they can into the World market soaking up demand for Canadian Grains.

Now if India or China wants all that we can deliver, there WOULD be a significant price. I wonder if there is Someone who has managed to alienate these big purchasers, you know, like in the Federal Government??

Drewski

Now you know he can just dazzle them with his fancy stocks and boyish good looks.
Then he turns around and taxes grocery stores so that we the working public will get cheaper groceries You just can't make this crap up. Anyone who voted for this clown and his side kick need to hang their heads in shame.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 09-15-2023, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-radshaw View Post
No one wants to drink Bud Light anymore so how can Barley stay high????

I do a lot of buying and selling of all grain commodities grown in Alberta.

Harvest pressure for one and buyers taking advantage of those that need bin space or cash flow. But also record amounts of corn coming into the feed lots from the south. Most feed lots have switched from barley to corn. Its going to take a couple years of bumper barley crops in North America to get feeders to switch back.

Don't believe what the news tells you. Most of my over seas buyers have said the same thing regarding Russia/Ukraine wheat. The wheat is still moving out the backdoor of Russia and Ukraine via rail lines to other countries shipping ports.
I can buy this. lol. As well, there might be better coarse grain yields inn Ab & Sask than originally thought. Not bumper yields, but not a complete wreck. Certainly poor to zero yields in places, but plumb decent elsewhere. China just lifted their embargo on Aissie wheat, lots of worldwide cereal crops.

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 09-16-2023, 02:58 AM

Quote:
X2. We call it the annual b.s.
Harvest pressure and gas price increases before long weekend are like clockwork.

You contract, it's one narrative. You fill the bins, it's another.....always a reason...covid, China relations, the fall of the Berlin wall, Venzuela, BSE, Ukraine, Russia...blah blah blah...

My grandfather was a founding member of the Alberta Wheat Pool. Some people absolutely loved him for it, others could have killed him for it.
Old 09-16-2023, 03:00 AM

Guys hanging onto last years crop hoping for price increase had to dump a lot into market to make room in bins for this years crop. Around here at least.
Old 09-16-2023, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post

Drewski
The Fed's just announced a "postponement" of their planned trade mission to India. Looks like sock boy struck again!!
Old 09-16-2023, 07:43 AM

What is canola going to do?

With hay at $0.12/lb and barley at $0.13/lb, I think I'll sell some hay and feed my cows a little barley.

Gerry Burnie
Old 09-16-2023, 08:09 AM

Quote:
No they don’t. While it is normal for harvest time to be lower compared to the rest of the season, there are obvious reasons for it, such as increased selling due to harvest. However, when I look back over the years, the here have been numerous times when harvest time was the best time to sell your grains and canola. $20 - $25 dollar durum and $20 dollar canola from a couple years ago comes to mind…

Ultimately, your price is dictated by how badly your buyer needs it to fulfill their commitments. Pure supply and demand.
Old 09-16-2023, 08:36 AM

"Flood of Russian Wheat Halves World Prices From Wartime High"

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ssia#xj4y7vzkg
Old 09-16-2023, 09:38 AM

Best to just cut and bale it, when some asking $200-$300 for bale better to sell as cow or horse feed.
Old 09-16-2023, 09:00 PM

Some may be asking $300/bale but are people actually paying that.
Old 09-16-2023, 10:17 PM

There is no harvest pressure, no one is delivering grain including me.
Old 09-16-2023, 10:21 PM

Coworkers dad here in Montana is having the best year he has ever had harvest wise. He’s showed me the piles of grain outside the elevators waiting to get hauled off. Of course the next day prices were way down…
Old 09-17-2023, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Bought two more bins, but will run out of room anyway, so had to sell some barley. Price was around $6.25/bushel. Not great.
If you had enough room to store it, ball park what price would you be looking at and when would you sell it at its peak?
Old 09-17-2023, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
you wouldnt think many bales and for very long. Im afraid something is gonna give majorly.
Old 09-17-2023, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Blake View Post
The Fed's just announced a "postponement" of their planned trade mission to India. Looks like sock boy struck again!!
The Russians still haven't renewed the Ukrainian export agreement, the elephant in the room.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 09-17-2023, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyallpeder View Post
If you had enough room to store it, ball park what price would you be looking at and when would you sell it at its peak?
Well, I'm kind of a newbie at this, but I'd be happy with $7.00/bushel. Ideally we'd sell it at its peak, but I wouldn't be farming if I could predict that!
Old 09-18-2023, 06:41 AM

You never EVER sell grain at this time of the year. I could never understand why farmers don't have enough storage for their product. They want to be big time operators and crop the whole county and every little corner in between but don't have the bins so they flood the market with cheap grain off the combine. I'm certain the elevators love these guys.
Old 09-18-2023, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armorman View Post
You never EVER sell grain at this time of the year. I could never understand why farmers don't have enough storage for their product. They want to be big time operators and crop the whole county and every little corner in between but don't have the bins so they flood the market with cheap grain off the combine. I'm certain the elevators love these guys.
grain storage on farm is quite expensive, running around 3.00-5.00 per bu of bin space. modern agriculture is a mad rush to get the most out of a thin profit margin. go price out a new combine and a seed drill. plus a tractor or two...and a sprayer... etc. they are trying to crop as much as they can because of rising expenses. not going to say anything about the brutal seasonal workload or the stress levels. last point is the chemical and fertilizer companies carry these input costs from spring until harvest time, quite devious of them. if you actually walked the land you'd know. it's like being on a financial hamster wheel with health, weather, and the bank the only things that can force you to get off.
Old 09-18-2023, 08:05 AM

Oh I know all about farming, lol. But I never look at grain storage as expensive.
Old 09-18-2023, 09:05 AM

No one mentioned the plastic storage bags, must be lower cost than grain bins. Only down side is deer and elk like to kick holes in bag and feast on grain. Need more elk hunters.
Old 09-18-2023, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
We were looking at adding more storage capacity but with liberal government bringing in caps or limitations on the amount of fertilizer we can use on our crops then yields are most likely to go down so extra bins would serve no purpose unless adding land to operation.
Old 09-18-2023, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
Acreage owners,horse people ,I guess maybe purebred guys or dairy.
Commercial cow calf guys can't pay that much.
300 a bale is close to 550 a short ton!
Currently South of Calgary you can get $150 a bale Montana round bales delivered in your yard.
I think half the trouble in the south is just getting hay trucked. The hay brokers or truckers are buying hay from up north and then reselling in drought area. I'm thinking fifty a ton minimum mark up.
If you don't have your own truck its hard to hire somebody right away to truck for you and there are so many scammers or crooks your crazy to put a deposit on hay and wait for their truck to deliver.
So much stupid regulations its a bit scary trucking hay to far away from farm because if they get picking on you its going to get really, really expensive really quick.
Old 09-18-2023, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Blake View Post
Well, he beat that. He Point Blank accused the Indian government of complicity in the murder of a Canadian Sikh activist. That ain't gonna go over well.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 09-18-2023, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
Well, he beat that. He Point Blank accused the Indian government of complicity in the murder of a Canadian Sikh activist. That ain't gonna go over well.

Grizz
I was that. Dumber by the day