Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 09:35 PM

Unhappy

Just re-read this post from yesterday and i would like to MAN UP and apologize for my post "Some people just don't get it" I guess he was doing the right thing by following tracks. But the bottom line is people just don't get it. I have lived in Slave since 92 and EVERY YEAR there is trucks going down on Slave or Utikima since i have lived here. The fact of the matter is next year will be no different...why? Because people "just don't get it" Maybe since i have lived in Slave and seen and heard enough of these situations that it is tattooed in my brain. I usually sled or quad on these lakes well into the new year.

In no way shape or form was i laughing at these people's miss fortune, just trying to make people aware of the dangers and don't take anything for granted. It does look like a pretty heavy vehicle for this time of year, but i guess if a person doesn't see the things i have seen on this lake over the years you just don't know. A few days before this happened there was a post for calling and slave lake and i posted that a truck went down in assineau bay on Slave and to be carefull.

To the people that this happened to, i really hope he makes a full recovery and everything turns out for the better.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:44 PM

Now now gents lets play nice. We would'nt want to turn into a bunch of "those" people who read a little too deeply into what people say. We are all aware of how it can be difficult to deliver tone in writing.

BBJ is right. People who take chances on ice, deserve to deal with the consequences. But we assume that they made it out safe, and learned a valuable lesson if they were breaking the rules.

Stirring things up? you're the pot, and BBJ is the kettle.

Just my two cents.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:51 PM

The original post of this mishap only relayed a photo and the news of folks whom appear to have ignored warning signs of poor ice and ventured out on a lake which is notorious of having less than ideal ice conditions at the best of times. It’s the same old story with folks continuing to take unnecessary risks traveling on lake ice. Some folks made light of this situation without knowing if the people involved were hurt. I would suggest that most of us would have not commented it the fashion that we did if we knew that people were hurt. In my opinion 98% of the people whom post here mean no harm. I hope the guy and his wife make a full recovery and I’m glad he was able to walk away at the very least.

To be honest if the guy driving this truck walked away from the incident unharmed, I’d say the comments were very deserving. Personally I do not see how joking about a post is being negative? One thing this message board can do away with is all of those little message board police officers whom feel its there duty to monitor whom says what. It’s a public forum, if you want to tell people what to do become a cop or something!!!

As some of you have already noted, if anything can come from this post hopefully it’s a message that you can never be to cautious driving on the ice. Be safe.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:09 PM
Big.Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
If you know anything about BBJ, or read his posts on here, you'll know that sometimes he is rather outspoken, and 9.5 times out of 10 he's bang on the money. Not neccesarily politically correct, but hey, I have a strong dislike for PC too. I think you may have read into things, he's not a troll like others that have come and gone from this site.

I think what BBJ was getting at was that if some people want to be bold enough to drive too fast, or venture out in poor ice conditions they reap what they sow. In no way would he or anyone else want harm to come to the persons involved. I sure hope they got out safe, and I know BBJ does too, but like the saying says 'you can't fix stupid'.
X2
Old 01-04-2009, 10:14 PM

Quote:
If you know anything about BBJ, or read his posts on here, you'll know that sometimes he is rather outspoken, and 9.5 times out of 10 he's bang on the money. Not neccesarily politically correct, but hey, I have a strong dislike for PC too. I think you may have read into things, he's not a troll like others that have come and gone from this site.

I think what BBJ was getting at was that if some people want to be bold enough to drive too fast, or venture out in poor ice conditions they reap what they sow. In no way would he or anyone else want harm to come to the persons involved. I sure hope they got out safe, and I know BBJ does too, but like the saying says 'you can't fix stupid'.
I am far from Pollitically Correct myself. But how can you misinterpret a post that has so many on it? I know BBJ has a big following on this board and he is intitled to it. But I stand by my earlier statement.

Deano
Old 01-04-2009, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano View Post
I am far from Pollitically Correct myself. But how can you misinterpret a post that has so many on it? I know BBJ has a big following on this board and he is intitled to it. But I stand by my earlier statement.

Deano
So how many would be appropriate?

I'll respect your opinion, but I'm not going to agree with it. Kind of an agree to disagree thing.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:23 PM

Quote:
So how many would be appropriate?

I'll respect your opinion, but I'm not going to agree with it. Kind of an agree to disagree thing.
When it comes to someone going through the ice I don't think there should be any . I also respect your opinion, aswell as others, and agree to disagree.

Deano
Old 01-04-2009, 10:28 PM

Quote:

BANG ON . EXACTLY WHAT I WAS REFERING TO.

THERES NO REASON WITH 16 PLUS INCHES OF ICE ON A LAKE ANYONE GOING THREW THE ICE , ULESS BEING CARELESS AND NOT BEING SMART.IVE SEEN A FEW SEPERATE OCCURANCES OF PEOPLE GOING THREW , NOT A GOOD THING.I WASNT BASHING THE FACT YOUR FRIENDS OR WHOEVER , THAT WAS NEVER POSTED IN THE INITAL POST. SO I COULD REALLY CARELESS WHAT YOU PEOPLE HAVE TO SAY OR THINK . ITS MY OPINION , AND IM INTITLED TO IT. THE WORLD IS FULL OF PITTY PARTY'S MAYBE ITS TIME MORE FOLKS LIKE ME ''MAN UP '' AND SPEAK THE TRUTH RATHER THEN COATING IT IN SIMPATHY.

I AM GLAD YOUR FRIENDS ARE OK , BUT HOPEFULLY NEXT TIME THEY OR ANYONE ELSE WHO DARES RUNNING THE INDY 500 ACROSS A FROZEN LAKE WILL THINK ABOUT WHAT THERE DOING.And maybe follow the suggestive processes of driving on ice , such as , avoiding cracks , and drill holes every so often.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:32 PM

Sorry to read about bad news. Good news is he got his wife out and they are still alive!!
My thoughts are with them for a speedy recovery. DIVERT.... please keep us posted on his recovery, hopefully he will regain full use of his hands and once again be able to live life to the fullest............. Gulf
Old 01-04-2009, 10:33 PM
Big.Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
BANG ON . EXACTLY WHAT I WAS REFERING TO.

THERES NO REASON WITH 16 PLUS INCHES OF ICE ON A LAKE ANYONE GOING THREW THE ICE , ULESS BEING CARELESS AND NOT BEING SMART.IVE SEEN A FEW SEPERATE OCCURANCES OF PEOPLE GOING THREW , NOT A GOOD THING.I WASNT BASHING THE FACT YOUR FRIENDS OR WHOEVER , THAT WAS NEVER POSTED IN THE INITAL POST. SO I COULD REALLY CARELESS WHAT YOU PEOPLE HAVE TO SAY OR THINK . ITS MY OPINION , AND IM INTITLED TO IT. THE WORLD IS FULL OF PITTY PARTY'S MAYBE ITS TIME MORE FOLKS LIKE ME ''MAN UP '' AND SPEAK THE TRUTH RATHER THEN COATING IT IN SIMPATHY.

I AM GLAD YOUR FRIENDS ARE OK , BUT HOPEFULLY NEXT TIME THEY OR ANYONE ELSE WHO DARES RUNNING THE INDY 500 ACROSS A FROZEN LAKE WILL THINK ABOUT WHAT THERE DOING.And maybe follow the suggestive processes of driving on ice , such as , avoiding cracks , and drill holes every so often.
x2

Old 01-04-2009, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano View Post
When it comes to someone going through the ice I don't think there should be any . I also respect your opinion, aswell as others, and agree to disagree.

Deano
I must admit that I just read Divert's post on Page 1 of this thread, and should have read it earlier. Thank goodness they got out, and I sure hope his hands recover. As gulfman said, I hope Divert keeps us updated on recovery. I've got my ice diving certificate, and I've been under the ice and know how cold that water is. He's lucky to be alive, and a brave man for saving his wife.

So Deano, I can understand your reaction, however BBJ said his comment before we knew what happened to this folks, and in general terms, some hard lessons were learned here. I don't know the circumstances of how this happened, but if they were knowingly taking a risk, they had some bad consequences unfortunately. Sometimes freak accidents happen, maybe this was one of them, but the way I read things so far I'm not sure if that's the case.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbell View Post
Wolverine;
Gas pockets are caused by natural gas seeping out of the lake bottom. The constant bubbling of gas bubbles causes open holes or thin ice. The action is similar to current in rivers. Unfortunately the air pockets will move from year to year. So you can't even gsp them as next year they may move.

Slave Lake is by far the worst lake I have seen for air pockets. Especially Faust Bay, but I have seen them off Joussard, Shaws Point and Spruce Point. I have seen them also on Calling Lake and North Wabasca Lake.
Thanx bbell.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by bbell
Wolverine;
Gas pockets are caused by natural gas seeping out of the lake bottom. The constant bubbling of gas bubbles causes open holes or thin ice. The action is similar to current in rivers. Unfortunately the air pockets will move from year to year. So you can't even gsp them as next year they may move.

Slave Lake is by far the worst lake I have seen for air pockets. Especially Faust Bay, but I have seen them off Joussard, Shaws Point and Spruce Point. I have seen them also on Calling Lake and North Wabasca Lake.

Not to mention where creeks and rivers , or any flowing water may move into or leave a large body of water .
Old 01-05-2009, 12:17 AM

Quote:
I agree with you 100% and the first thing I said to my partner while he was talking to his cousin was how fast was he going. The guy who went through said they were only going max of about 10km/hr, and like you BBJ he thought there was no chance of him going through, with a little common sense. Even though he knew conditions wernt the best.

Sorry if I started a S@!T storm here guys wasnt my intent, just to update you guys that he wasnt as careless as was first made out to be.

Should find out some more info in the next few days.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divert View Post
I agree with you 100% and the first thing I said to my partner while he was talking to his cousin was how fast was he going. The guy who went through said they were only going max of about 10km/hr, and like you BBJ he thought there was no chance of him going through, with a little common sense. Even though he knew conditions werent the best.

Sorry if I started a S@!T storm here guys want my intent, just to update you guys that he wasn't as careless as was first made out to be.

Should find out some more info in the next few days.
Yeah. I hope things cool off around here. The only information at the time of my first post where I laughed was made out to be buddy being a moron. No way is it funny for someone who is cautious and being safe . Glad hes alright. Im not a malicious person , I'm not down for personal attacks , and at the time this wasn't my intent other then from reading buddy sounded like he was being foolish. I think the key to fishing big lakes like Slave is get info from the locals before adventuring out on your own.Once again I hope things are cleared up and we can act like men.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
Yeah. I hope things cool off around here. The only information at the time of my first post where I laughed was made out to be buddy being a moron. No way is it funny for someone who is cautious and being safe . Glad hes alright. Im not a malicious person , I'm not down for personal attacks , and at the time this wasn't my intent other then from reading buddy sounded like he was being foolish. I think the key to fishing big lakes like Slave is get info from the locals before adventuring out on your own.Once again I hope things are cleared up and we can act like men.
If that was some sort of an apology for coming off a little strong on someones misfortune I'll take it. I'm sure we have all done STUPID things in our lives that could have been avoided with a little common sense or thinking it out more, Unfortunately this could be a drastic life changing lesson learned here. Hope things turn out for the best to someone i don't even know......
Old 01-05-2009, 01:13 PM

BBJ is a good fella. Read his other 2200 posts. Now that redneck posse is another story.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 01-05-2009, 01:32 PM

Default hero

Well we all have misfortunes every year in the hunting and fishing adventures we take, i absolutley applaud this fella for going back in the vehicle and rescueing his wife from the truck.

Divert tell your friend he in my books is a hero for saving her and himself in this terrible incident.......Out doing what he loves doing and run into some trouble, Didnt panic and saved his wife in this desparate and tramatic time and then got him and her to safety,,,must of been absolutly painful.
Weve all had frozen fingers and it hurts .That far off land and that late you could imagine the desparation ...........in my books he deserves a hero credit and she will be indebted to him for life for saving hers and him.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
Well we all have misfortunes every year in the hunting and fishing adventures we take, i absolutley applaud this fella for going back in the vehicle and rescueing his wife from the truck.

Divert tell your friend he in my books is a hero for saving her and himself in this terrible incident.......Out doing what he loves doing and run into some trouble, Didnt panic and saved his wife in this desparate and tramatic time and then got him and her to safety,,,must of been absolutly painful.
Weve all had frozen fingers and it hurts .That far off land and that late you could imagine the desparation ...........in my books he deserves a hero credit and she will be indebted to him for life for saving hers and him.
X2

Right on Gunslinger..
Old 01-05-2009, 01:48 PM

Honda450, I just took the opportunity to read a few of BBJ's 2200 posts, other than numerous posts of "good job buddy", "way to go sparky" and a lot of illiteracy and un-informed knowlege of fishing and outdoors, I also found his response to the thread where the fella died going through the ice in a bobcat. What I found strange and similar to his responses in this post was "if the boot fits". "stupid move", "not a smart move".
When you live in a glass house........
Old 01-05-2009, 03:13 PM

It's unfortunate
Old 01-05-2009, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post

x3
Old 01-05-2009, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood1 View Post
Honda450, I just took the opportunity to read a few of BBJ's 2200 posts, other than numerous posts of "good job buddy", "way to go sparky" and a lot of illiteracy and un-informed knowlege of fishing and outdoors, I also found his response to the thread where the fella died going through the ice in a bobcat. What I found strange and similar to his responses in this post was "if the boot fits". "stupid move", "not a smart move".
When you live in a glass house........
Well aren't you holier than hole. Well I guess we can judge you too when you have 2200 posts. If ya got something to say instead of critizing other members go away.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 01-05-2009, 04:00 PM
Big.Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda450 View Post
Well aren't you holier than hole. Well I guess we can judge you too when you have 2200 posts. If ya got something to say instead of critizing other members go away.
X2
Old 01-05-2009, 04:23 PM

Well boys, we judge people by the quantity of posts? Posts like (X2), lol, smiley faces and such. Pretty easy to pile up the numbers with thought provoking drivel like this. As BBJ stated above, "it's my opinion and I'm intitled to it". When you post comments like BBJ did regarding someone elses mis-fortune, you are leaving yourself open to criticism. I felt his comments eluded to the fact that these people somehow deserved this fate for being stupid. How many of us have driven vehicles on ice covered lakes? Most of us. On a well beaten path or not, you could break through. It is an inherent risk that we choose to take and I guess some people would consider us stupid, but to criticize, especially a dead man is in bad taste, period.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:24 PM

Default Ice

That photo makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up , that would have been a horrific feeling breaking through that ice . I hope that guy and his wife recover fully.

It's easy to sit in front of your computer and pass judgement on someone's decision in the outdoors. Would I drive my truck onto any lake, no, its just something I don't do, but that is a chose I make and I'm not going to judge someone for doing it. You can only take every safety precaution possible, for some there are more precautions then others. To tell you the truth I always have a bit of an uneasy feeling when I am on the hard water, mainly because I am usually with my kids.

I'm sure just about every outdoorsmen can think of a couple decisions they made whether fishing,hunting,boating, or snowmobiling that they learned a hard lesson from. I know the ones I've learned will be passed down to my kids so they don't make the same.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:30 PM

Really glad to hear that the fella and his wife made it out okay. I know that I have questioned ice that i've drove on in the past even after drilling test holes. I'm sure a few of us here have taken risks such as this before and it's always unfortunate to see something like this happen to a fellow outdoorsmen. It will definitely make me think twice next time I head out on a big lake or any lake for that matter.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by searay View Post
That photo makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up , that would have been a horrific feeling breaking through that ice . I hope that guy and his wife recover fully.

It's easy to sit in front of your computer and pass judgement on someone's decision in the outdoors. Would I drive my truck onto any lake, no, its just something I don't do, but that is a chose I make and I'm not going to judge someone for doing it. You can only take every safety precaution possible, for some there are more precautions then others. To tell you the truth I always have a bit of an uneasy feeling when I am on the hard water, mainly because I am usually with my kids.

I'm sure just about every outdoorsmen can think of a couple decisions they made whether fishing,hunting,boating, or snowmobiling that they learned a hard lesson from. I know the ones I've learned will be passed down to my kids so they don't make the same.
I must have read your mind or vice versa on this one.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:35 PM
Banned

Default hmm

BBJ posted without the story being posted. I've seen dozens of these posts and ussually people always poke fun at the guy it happened to. It was his choice he took the risk considering those tracks arn't very beaton even and that he's driving a heavy truck he sould of known better. He did'nt know the story so let it go. I

Last edited by happy perch fisher; 01-05-2009 at 07:41 PM. Reason: km.,.,mm
Old 01-05-2009, 05:02 PM
troller

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy perch fisher View Post
BBJ was posted
Someone snuck up behind him and stapled a "no hunting" sign on his back? LOL
Closed Thread