Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 05:12 PM

It can happen to anyone, regardless if it is 16" of ice or more, there is always the possibility of going through the ice and thats the risk we take. Yes our chances are decreased with more ice, but the fact of the matter is, it is ice and it can happen. So for all of you laughing and pointing fingers dont think it cant happen to you. The guy could have lost his life and god forbid he could have survived and lost his wife. And may have a different life because of his hands and this experience. Respect the man first thats he's a fellow fisherman and fellow human. Its a good thing he was obviously conditioned enough to get himself and his wife out, some of you ( you know who you are) making fun do you think you would have been able to get out in time? and walk a great distance in the cold? Nobody thinks they are going to fall through but it is in the back of everyones head when they do take the chance. Just remember there is still the chance. We have all made mistakes and gone against the rules but for god sake have some respect for others. This forum is getting ridiculous.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:21 PM

Hope he makes a full recovery. Seen a guy go thru the ice walking once also and there was 15" of ice so you just never know. Just hope to never have to experience falling thru the ice.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:32 PM

Its really a terrible situation that I don't think anyone wants to have happen to them or anyone they know.

For the recored the truck in the picture wasn't the truck where the man and wife had to escape from. I'm not sure what happened to the people in the this picture.

The man that had to dive back into the water and safe his wife happened at Assinaue and they had to walk to a near buy house (well not near by at least a km) They were driving a Chevy, I was out to Assinaue and see the truck about 400 yards from shore...on the main road to the ice shacks.

~Scottie
Old 01-05-2009, 05:34 PM

Default wow

some pple need to get out of the house and do some fishing or something!!!!! WOW!!!!
Old 01-05-2009, 05:38 PM

For a regular poster like BBJ im surprised of the comments. Man up eh BBJ ?haha sure a manly thing to do and make fun, i think its more "manly" to have respect for someone. Im sure he would have his way with you if you told him what you said to his face because your disrespecting him and his wifes life. Id like to see you man up then. How do you know for sure there is no reason you cant go through the ice with 16" of ice ? Are you saying its impossible? have a clue. Better hope it doesnt happen to you BBJ as im sure you would fail in the attempt to get out of the truck in time.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:04 PM

There is only one aspect that is truly "funny" to this entire thread. That is the desire to be right; the desire to pass judgement on someone else's actions whether its the unfortunate driver that went through the ice, those that made light of the situation, the subsequent posters that took those who chose to make light of the situation to task, those that defended the the original posters. . .and so on (sorry for the run-on sentence there).

Most of the posters on this board are avid outdoorsmen and as such usually have some knowledge and/or experience, be it not driving too fast on the ice, not driving on unknown ice thickness, road hunting, being scoped, hunting on private land, etc. I think that also makes us want to comment, which tends to come from a "holier than thow" or a "I would not have done that" perspective INTENTIONAL OR NOT. I say intentional or not because I don't believe BBJ wants to see someone endanger their life, but he is set on his belief that people drive too fast and took the opportunity to make the comment. Maybe in retrospect it was insensitive, but how was he to know the dire consequence that happened (or maybe did not )? That and his avatar scares me a bit. . .

Where I am trying to go, in such a clumsy manner, is that what is funny about this post is the esclation of who knows more and who can take the prior poster to task about their stance. In the end, all this post really should say is be careful on the ice. The prior posters have it right when they say it is ice and as such even at 3 feet thick it still has its risks.

I hope the best for the fellow and his wife that went through. Lord knows, I have driven my truck, my quad, even walked on some suspect ice. . .

Oh yeah, one last little tidbit. . .it is worth a call to your insurer to find out if you are insured on the ice. I wasn't before, but I am now.

Let the chastising begin. . .

Cheers.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:10 PM

Sure glad everyone bashing BBJ is perfect. Ya don't even know him. Let it go .BBJ has a big heart.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 01-05-2009, 06:13 PM
Gone Fishing

As a member of N.A.A.R.S. (Northern Alberta Aquatic Rescue Society) I know that a lot of these types of accidents end in fatalities, I`m happy to hear that the occupants survived the ordeal. No one ever wants an accident like this to occur, but every year it does. Please take heed of all signs posted at waters edge, no matter what the sign is....its there for a reason. My thoughts are for the two occupants and wish them a speedy recovery.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:05 PM

To be the fifth poster on this thread and to say a comment like " this is why you dont do 80 kmh across ice " is flipping B.S. How the hell do you know how fast this guy was going? What if he was sitting in his truck ? Does that make him an idiot for going to slow ? Your maturity level is very low BBJ !!! Next time before you shoot your BIG MOUTH off , i would seriously suggest you get the FACTS of what exactly happened out there. You showed bad judgement for someone who is supposed to be an avid outdoorsman. Do the right thing and make your 3000th post on here a sincere apology or expect to lose whatever respect people actually had for you. I sure hope this guy and his wife come out of this brutal accident unscathed or this thread may not go away . Remember karma and payback are usually a BITCH !!!
Old 01-05-2009, 07:25 PM

That's a strong first post Walleye king but I have to agree with you, laughing at a fellow sportsman's misfortune is low I don't care how you sugarcoat it. It should only be allowed around the camp fire after you helped the person out.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:25 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleye King View Post
To be the fifth poster on this thread and to say a comment like " this is why you dont do 80 kmh across ice " is flipping B.S. How the hell do you know how fast this guy was going? What if he was sitting in his truck ? Does that make him an idiot for going to slow ? Your maturity level is very low BBJ !!! Next time before you shoot your BIG MOUTH off , i would seriously suggest you get the FACTS of what exactly happened out there. You showed bad judgement for someone who is supposed to be an avid outdoorsman. Do the right thing and make your 3000th post on here a sincere apology or expect to lose whatever respect people actually had for you. I sure hope this guy and his wife come out of this brutal accident unscathed or this thread may not go away . Remember karma and payback are usually a BITCH !!!
X2.....not bad for a first post.................... oh by the way ...my 17th post
Old 01-05-2009, 09:53 PM

Default slave lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianZ71 View Post
This was Friday nite around 11pm when this truck went thru. The day before, not to far from this area another truck with a trailer dipped its ass end in but got pulled out, luckily. We didn't notice ths happen Friday nite when we came off the lake at night around midnight. This is straight out from Joussard on Slave Lake. We went out on sleds and a truck as well, but where this happened there was a crack over the width of your hand and I guess it just wasn't stable ice. We fished there all day and the ice was 12" but there were quite a few trucks going back and forth from the shore to the little shack village. When we went back this afternoon to get our gear we left in the shack, we stumbled on this. The biggest load that day I seen was a Super jacked up Ford deisel hauling a tandem axle trailer with a mini house as an ice shack, looked nice but you got to have a big set of nuts to go over a mile out from shore after when told there are signs of poor ice stregth.

I was out there from tuesday to friday afternoon, stayed at ladyhawk in joussard, bernie helped pull the truck with the dipped trailer out and apparently while they were working on that another big truck drove right past them and tons of water came spilling up over the ice, that was pure ignorance. The night before i saw 1TON flat deck duallies with huge ice huts on them and really there was only 12 inches of ice, also the ice wasnt very stable, there were also warning signs on the ice and the road on the ice was getting moved around day by day to avoid bad patches, unfortunately the village is quite a way from shore but there was clearly people using bad judgement out there, thankfully no one was killed.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:59 PM

I'm not trying to be an *******, but to enlighten the mood in this forum a little bit. Now would you feel safer in a ford super duty on the ice or sitting beside a bbj super duty on a lawn chair on the ice. Either one is intimidating weight wise.
Now after that said, i am glad the guy and his wife will survive. I am naive myself as I measure the ice by how many other vehicles are out there. Probably stupid, but i've had 100's of times where this has been my reasoning. Maybe dumb luck, but knock on wood i still do it.
This forum is important because people can share their experiences and their thoughts. Both help other peolple out emensely.
I will continue driving on the ice and I am not an idiot, just an average joe who tries to think before he acts. Happy hard water season everyone, enjoy the winter!!
Old 01-05-2009, 10:12 PM

I hope the man and his wife have a full recovery....Moral of the story is Slave was wide open less then a month ago and people have to be crazy to be out there in pickups.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:30 PM

You know , let these people bash me bash my thinking. If they took the extra 2 minutes to read the '' INTIRE THREAD '' not bits and pieces. They will see I initially posted before anything else said. In Fact I wasn't even home the following day to read other posts. Instead you get lynched for speaking the truth. Shame on me.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:41 AM

Default Thats why it's best sometimes not to say anything at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by .LOON. View Post
I don't believe BBJ meant any cruel intent to make a joke out of it. Before Divert posted what the whole story was everyone just thought the guy lost his vehicle. Then we found out about the wife and the man's hands being frost bitten. I don't think its a laughing matter anymore once I found out someone was injured and I'm sure BBJ feels the same.

I am sure a few fellows on here are eating Sole right now and I don't mean fish.

Hope all works out for the guy and his wife...

A Good Friend told me,
Wind from the East fish bite the least, Wind from the West fish bite the best...
Old 01-06-2009, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine Boy View Post
I've done lots of ice-fishing but I have never heard of 'gas pockets'.

The only real dangers I was aware of on ice were driving on ice that isn't thick enough, driving near weed beds as the weeds can transmit heat through the ice and keep it thin (I found that out the hard way with a quad) and driving too fast and building up a 'pressure wave' which will bust the ice near shore.

Can someone tell me exactly what these gas pockets are, how they are formed and how they can cause you to go through thick ice?

Thanx.
I've fished slave for many a year and have seen open holes with gas bubbling through them the size of a house. Most of them are about a foot to four feet wide. This is in the middle of winter with 3 ft of ice. The great big holes I've seen were between "hilliards bay" and "big grassy". (I won't take that route ever again).

Aim Small Miss Small
Old 01-06-2009, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
You know , let these people bash me bash my thinking. If they took the extra 2 minutes to read the '' INTIRE THREAD '' not bits and pieces. They will see I initially posted before anything else said. In Fact I wasn't even home the following day to read other posts. Instead you get lynched for speaking the truth. Shame on me.
You just don't get it do you BBJ? This is not about you or your feelings of being bashed. You thought that this potentially disastrous situation was funny. Before you knew what the whole story was, you were laughing at this person's misfortune. Even without the injuries that are now known to have happened, this poor guy was in a world of hurt. His truck is sitting on the bottom of Slave Lake and he is facing a huge recovery cost and likely some major grief. Where is the humour?

Now, I can accept that you made a mistake in opening your big yap before you knew all the details, but I cannot accept your lame ass attempt of standing by your comments for "speaking the truth". Who cares if you weren't even home to read to read other posts, what does that have to do with anything?

Be a man and apologize and learn from this mistake. You may be right about driving on ice being unsafe, but you will never be right for laughing at others in such a serious situation.

Gord
Old 01-06-2009, 09:04 AM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
You got burned for passing judgment without even knowing the story.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:05 AM

the internet warriors are out with the "gnikcuf" pitchforks again.

I do believe the 80 km/h comment made by BBJ was a fire lit under comments made by Walleyes many moons ago when every one had a big spat about why you shouldnt go 80 kms an hour on ice yadda yadda , blah who cares, and some thought it was A-ok to do so. Seems alot of heros came out of the wood work once this forum got put on that "my alberta" or whatever its called, and like to Jump on BBJ any time theres an opening for it.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post

I do believe the 80 km/h comment made by BBJ was a fire lit under comments made by Walleyes many moons ago when every one had a big spat about why you shouldnt go 80 kms an hour on ice yadda yadda , blah who cares, and some thought it was A-ok to do so. Seems alot of heros came out of the wood work once this forum got put on that "my alberta" or whatever its called, and like to Jump on BBJ any time theres an opening for it.
Hahaha Internet warriors. Bigbore that is good stuff. I love it. Gave me a good laugh.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:22 AM
Big.Bear

Old 01-06-2009, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post

Old 01-06-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .LOON. View Post
Loon how'd you get this picture of me??? I thought I saw a camera flash from outside my office yesterday....And actually I'm 6' 5"
Old 01-06-2009, 10:33 AM
Big.Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbosch View Post
Loon how'd you get this picture of me??? I thought I saw a camera flash from outside my office yesterday....And actually I'm 6' 5"
LMAO damn I'm busted, this is not the end TBOSCH!!!!
Old 01-06-2009, 10:38 AM

Some of this banter sounds like a bunch of kids in the school yard. Lets grow up. You all can say what you like (thats the idea of the forum) I'll agree or not agree.

I hope we have all learned to be a little bit safer out on the ice from this whole ordeal. My thoughts are to the couple and for a complete recovery.

This will happen again............WILL IT BE YOU!
Old 01-06-2009, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izumi View Post
You got burned for passing judgment without even knowing the story.

x2

Learn facts BEFORE passing judgment. Not knowing the facts doesn't give one carte blanche to go off on a rant.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:26 AM

ok. i just read this thread from front to back. when i read the first post and it stated only 12" of ice, unstable, and a truck went thought the day before. i thought to myself this guy should shake his head. it's not that hard to find out info like that before you drive out on such a big pond. if you did the math you would agree that they should not have been out there. it's not like this is the first truck to break through the ice, and wont be the last.
yes it sucks and you never want to hear people getting hurt, but people just dont get how dangerous it is.

fast recovery to all, and a safe year for thoughs out on the ice.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Elkster View Post
x2

Learn facts BEFORE passing judgment. Not knowing the facts doesn't give one carte blanche to go off on a rant.
Well, I'd agree with that. Sometimes though the facts are hard to find. However, I've caught myself only reading half a thread, posted somthing, and later regretted it after reading the whole thread. Lesson for myself there.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:23 PM
Banned

Default any word on how

Any word on how they're doing??
Closed Thread