Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 12:23 PM

lol , this thread is something, yeah I feel sorry for the misfortune , but I am happy that no one lost a life, if you ask me driving on the ice is just like hiding behind a lexan panel while your buddy is shooting at you with a rifle,
hoping that the lexan panel will withstand the gun shot lol just because the spec sheet says so....

driving on the ice is straight stupid and besides how does that add to the environment ????, some folks sit in their idleing trucks worming up all day exhausting all the fumes on to the snow and ice and letting it all to the lake when the ice melts, god do I ever enjoy the mercury contaminated fish already...

Driving on the ice should be illegal not because it is dangerous but simply for the better of the environment.

Cheers !
Old 01-06-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gord View Post
you just don't get it do you bbj? This is not about you or your feelings of being bashed. You thought that this potentially disastrous situation was funny. Before you knew what the whole story was, you were laughing at this person's misfortune. Even without the injuries that are now known to have happened, this poor guy was in a world of hurt. His truck is sitting on the bottom of slave lake and he is facing a huge recovery cost and likely some major grief. Where is the humour?

Now, i can accept that you made a mistake in opening your big yap before you knew all the details, but i cannot accept your lame ass attempt of standing by your comments for "speaking the truth". Who cares if you weren't even home to read to read other posts, what does that have to do with anything?

Be a man and apologize and learn from this mistake. You may be right about driving on ice being unsafe, but you will never be right for laughing at others in such a serious situation.

Gord
get off your high horse , and shut your mouth while your ahead.
No - its not funny when someone is hurt.
No - its not funny when accidents happen when proper procedures are meet for safety.
No - I'm not perfect and nore do i wish to be. This is an outdoors forum not a frickin spelling bee , nore a contest on who has better grammar and such.
If you read posts from previous other then the ones set in front of your damn face you'd read the fact that the fellow who originally posted here , made the story to sound as the fella who this story is about , made it to sound he was not driving smart on ice. It would be nice if you were here to read the inital post not the other half .

GORD LETS TAKE THIS TO PM AND LEAVE THIS BASHED THREAD ALONE . ID LOVE TO HEAR WHAT YOU THINK.PERHAPS COFFEE AT TIMHORTONS IN FT SASK .

Last edited by BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES; 01-06-2009 at 02:20 PM.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:46 PM

No update on the couple as of yet but ill try to find something out tonight!
Quote:
posted by Morph
driving on the ice is straight stupid and besides how does that add to the environment ????, some folks sit in their idleing trucks worming up all day exhausting all the fumes on to the snow and ice and letting it all to the lake when the ice melts, god do I ever enjoy the mercury contaminated fish already...

Driving on the ice should be illegal not because it is dangerous but simply for the better of the environment.
That may be your opinion morph but then do you think that boats with engines should be illegal too? Cause its the exact same thing.
Just sounds like your trying to stir the pot even more to me, due to the fact that pretty much everyone who is posting on this topic is a hard water fisherman.
If thats your opinion though then your well entitled to it.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:24 PM

Just sounds like your trying to stir the pot even more to me lol , not at all buds , you got that wrong....

If thats your opinion though then your well entitled to it. you are dead on the target and thanks.

By the way adding more unnecessary polution to the environment does not make any good does it ??? hmm, I think my kid would agree,

Decreasing polution is what you want my friend, damn ! it does not take much thinking does it, people that think like you "DIVERT" will destroy this planet and wake up when it's too late

and how is that legal to drive a truck on a frozen lake that prohibits gasoline motors / crafts during the summer seazon ???

I think this thread should be locked simply cause it became a contest of whos right whos wrong on the internet , but that is just my opinion and I am fully entitled to it ...

Peace out !
Old 01-06-2009, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divert View Post
No update on the couple as of yet but ill try to find something out tonight!

Please do keep us posted.

I think the rhetoric on the other issues has been beaten to death and is now just turning into a bit of an internet righteousness battle. I'd like to see the thread remain open, if only to find out the status of these folks.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:40 PM

Default How would you

Curious how that veichle would be removed.Probably alot of damage due to being frozen in anyone know how they remove stuff froze in.I have seen stuff many years ago in picters where they cut hole and pulled it towards shore for removal really only left pieces strewn on the bottom
Old 01-06-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
Curious how that veichle would be removed.Probably alot of damage due to being frozen in anyone know how they remove stuff froze in.I have seen stuff many years ago in picters where they cut hole and pulled it towards shore for removal really only left pieces strewn on the bottom
Depending on the lake, and the depth and distance from shore there are a few ways. One is to wait until the thaw and then use divers with float bags to bring it to the surface and either tow it to shore or lift it onto a barge. Sometimes they'll wait till the ice is thick enough to bring a crane onto the ice and lift it out that way. Either way its a challange and very pricey.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:58 PM

Default How to?

I would guess that they will get a crane out there when the ice is thick enough and lift it out........only way I could see, of course that depends on how far out from shore it is and how deep the water is under it......

Last edited by Dakota369; 01-06-2009 at 01:58 PM. Reason: sp
Old 01-06-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Depending how deep and how big the vehcile , I remember about 10 years ago , watched them haul one out , had to use a crane , as the truck was in about 35 feet of water . And the lake had already froze over , so they cut a huge hole with chain saws , and send a diver down to attach the cables to the truck and haul it out.The crane raised its boom and they pulled out the cables to where the truck was , cut open the ice and , diver attached the cables to the truck , I remember it being very expensive . Not sure but I dont see it being cheep , plus fines more then likely on top of it all.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Curious how that veichle would be removed.
they are gonna put all the people on this forum with wasteful endless useless yappers, in diving suits, crawl under the truck. fill themselves with their own hot air, and lift it out. Then simply drive it off once AMA gets it started
Old 01-06-2009, 03:28 PM
Big.Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alberta bigbore View Post
they are gonna put all the people on this forum with wasteful endless useless yappers, in diving suits, crawl under the truck. Fill themselves with their own hot air, and lift it out. Then simply drive it off once ama gets it started
bahahahahaha
Old 01-06-2009, 03:49 PM
bs'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
they are gonna put all the people on this forum with wasteful endless useless yappers, in diving suits, crawl under the truck. fill themselves with their own hot air, and lift it out. Then simply drive it off once AMA gets it started
Yah somepeople like to backslide and try to correct them self while sitting on there high horse waiteing for reassurance from others fact it could of happen to anyone at any time no one can perdict when or where .It could as well been a small truck

Quote:
I remember about 10 years ago , watched them haul one out , had to use a crane , as the truck was in about 35 feet of water . And the lake had already froze over , so they cut a huge hole with chain saws , and send a diver down to attach the cables to the truck and haul it out.The crane raised its boom and they pulled out the cables to where the truck was , cut open the ice and , diver attached the cables to the truck , I remember it being very expensive . Not sure but I dont see it being cheep , plus fines more then likely on top of it all.
would anyone find that laughable
Old 01-06-2009, 07:51 PM

I sincerly hope the folks affected by this incident have a full physical/emotional recovery. Very scary stuff.

Now........

BBJ is a super experienced icefisherman who has probably witnessed more stupid acts on the ice than most. Another sunk truck with no story attached could be good for a chuckle from someone with his experience.

Yet, some of you azzhats now on this forum have to attack him for a post made previous to the story. What a bunch of heros. I can only wonder what the euphoria this Earth would be like if everyone was a perfect as you are!

Way to take the high road. A fellow outdoorsman may lose his hands after nearly losing both the lives of himself and his wife, and all you can do is bash on BBJ for one post. Get a life losers.

As for the poster that made a crack about his weight..................I can only hope that one day you repeat your words to my face.............

Tree
Old 01-06-2009, 08:41 PM

Good Job Treeguy!
I Agree 100% With Your Post!
BBJ Dont Let The Morons Get To You
Old 01-06-2009, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Like i said before, i have seen this situation alot, They usually stagger power poles on the ice and walk a track hole on the poles, very slow process. They can only move 20-30 feet and the track hole turns around and picks the poles up behind him and places them in front. I am sure it would be a very nerve racking experience for the operator.

As far as this thread getting bent out of shape, when you really look at the picture it doesn't look more than someone getting out the side window with wet feet. Before you bash YES IT IS UNFORTUNATE. It was later stated that this was not the truck that the people were even in. I have seen the pictures of the one that the people were hurt in, it was the one in Assineau bay, and if those pictures were originally posted on here, there would be no joking about it. I am 100% certain that every post would say
"OH MY GOD, DID THE PEOPLE LIVE, DID THEY MAKE IT OUT ALIVE"
The truck is pretty much straight up and down with the box and not very much of the back part of the cab sticking out and that is it. It does look very scary. I know that every person on this site would never wish that on even their worst enemy and it is very sad to see. I think alot of people really need to take abit of a break from this thread and do some deep breathing before returning. Take care and play safe!!!
Old 01-06-2009, 10:21 PM

they showed a truck recoverey on dirty jobs last week on Discovery chan.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
they showed a truck recoverey on dirty jobs last week on Discovery chan.
Yes I saw that also but its not how they do things in Alberta. Here , well what Ive witnessed , is have a crane sit on shore , they have 2 divers cut holes in the ice , and then pull it threw 6the ice letting the car bounce across bottom. Never once is the crane on the ice.Its not a pretty sight nore is it , a cheep lesson to be learned. I think It was something like a 100 dollars an hour per a diver plus whatever it costs to bring that crane in. And unless things have changed your insurance company wont help you. Again this is what Ive witnessed , and I don't know might do things differently. But I don't see them risking there heavy equipment to recover a vehicle.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:08 AM

Here is the truck that went threw the ice. This is much more serious then what previously was said. The picture is enough to knock the winmd out of a guy. Im posting this picture for Shmag.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:25 AM

Yes, thought i would give the honor's to John to post the picture and people can see the severity of the two pictures. I think EVERYONE can AGREE that there wouldn't be much for negative comments or jokes if they seen the ACTUAL picture that went with the story posted by DIVERT.

Looking at this picture, he really is a hero for going back in and getting his wife out. I still have no idea how they made it out alive. Even though this is a terrible accident, there must of been a god looking down on them.

BE CAREFUL OUT THERE GUYS/GALS, WE DON'T NEED TO SEE ANYMORE OF THESE PICTURE'S. Take care and play safe!!!!!
Old 01-07-2009, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmag View Post
Yes, thought i would give the honor's to John to post the picture and people can see the severity of the two pictures. I think EVERYONE can AGREE that there wouldn't be much for negative comments or jokes if they seen the ACTUAL picture that went with the story posted by DIVERT.

Looking at this picture, he really is a hero for going back in and getting his wife out. I still have no idea how they made it out alive. Even though this is a terrible accident, there must of been a god looking down on them.

BE CAREFUL OUT THERE GUYS/GALS, WE DON'T NEED TO SEE ANYMORE OF THESE PICTURE'S. Take care and play safe!!!!!
All honours should be given to the man that saved his wifes life... ***** happens to all of us. Be thankful the man and his wife are alive
Old 01-07-2009, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Ballz View Post
All honours should be given to the man that saved his wifes life... ***** happens to all of us. Be thankful the man and his wife are alive
Thats a big 10-4 rubber ducky!!!
Old 01-07-2009, 09:00 AM

Years ago a van went through the ice at Lac St. Anne, once the ice was thick enough they cut a hole, rolled a giant empty cable spool up to the edge, blocked it so it would not roll, backed a tow truck up to it and ran the cable over the spool. Divers hooked up the van, the tow truck winched the van up until the front was out of the water and clear of the ice edge then they removed the blocks from the spool and and let it roll well winching, the van cleared the ice and came up slick as s%^$. Well every one was admiring their work the water was draining out of the van, because there was no open windows the suction of the water draining caused the van to implode the sides caved in, if it wasn't a write off from the dunking it sure was when the sides caved in.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
Here is the truck that went threw the ice. This is much more serious then what previously was said. The picture is enough to knock the winmd out of a guy. Im posting this picture for Shmag.

That picture gives me shivers right through to the bone. Man what a terrifying situation to be in. Koodos to this man and his wife. I can't say I would have dealt with this situation as well.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:58 PM

I've gone through the ice. Different circumstances, but not a pleasant experience. I lucked out and only cut my arms up on the ice swimming out. Could have been alot worse. Recovery was done with divers and a big ass winch. And lots of $$$.

Glad to hear they are alive and I hope the fellow's hands heal up. He is a hero IMO.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:22 PM

Quote:
I heard that they cut i out and and used rig mats and a picker.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:28 PM

Quote:
I've gone through the ice.
X2... Not very fun. Your hands get cut up in a hurry.

Hope those involved are OK... Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Stinky

Last edited by Stinky Buffalo; 01-07-2009 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:37 PM

I think enough said on this thread already. We all learn from own or other's mistakes, there is no pointing abusing this thread/forum, nobody wants to see bunch of people arguing each other. I am sure everybody has a point, but let's respect each other.

Thanks for posting CanadianZ71
Old 01-07-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
X2... Not very fun.
Agreed!

AbAngler, what do you think you could have done to avoid it? I know it sucks big time even think about it but any info is appreciated. I try not to drive on ice ( but sometimes I am a passenger )
Old 01-07-2009, 03:35 PM

Default jees

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
Well we all have misfortunes every year in the hunting and fishing adventures we take, i absolutley applaud this fella for going back in the vehicle and rescueing his wife from the truck.

Divert tell your friend he in my books is a hero for saving her and himself in this terrible incident.......Out doing what he loves doing and run into some trouble, Didnt panic and saved his wife in this desparate and tramatic time and then got him and her to safety,,,must of been absolutly painful.
Weve all had frozen fingers and it hurts .That far off land and that late you could imagine the desparation ...........in my books he deserves a hero credit and she will be indebted to him for life for saving hers and him.

hope your doing well my friend.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:12 PM

O.K. That's it. This thread is closed. Maybe everybody should take a 'time-out' and cool off a bit and think about how much time you spend arguing here. Is it really worth it?

Don Meredith
Board Administrator

Last edited by Don Meredith; 01-07-2009 at 04:47 PM.
Closed Thread