Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-23-2016, 06:12 AM

And all they will stock is trout like they have been doing lately. Our fish management team sucks !

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 05-15-2016, 08:42 AM

Default Bad News for Jackfish Lake Dead??

I heard rumour that they are talking about a temporary water diversion to replenish the lake back to where it should be. Maybe they will be re-joining Jackfish with that "hidden" lake to the south again like it used to be 20 years ago. Not too sure where else they would be able to divert from....does anyone know where the spring(s) that feed Jackfish are? My FIL used to know but can't remember

Also, they are talking a cosmetic fertilizer ban and subsidizing septic field upgrades in an attempt to get rid of them which I completely agree with.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
Old 05-15-2016, 05:13 PM

What Parkland county has allowed to happen to that lake is criminal in my opinion. We used to fish there in the 80s and catch some big pike .my son caught an 8lb walleye in that lake late 90s. Now it is houses on every foot of shoreline including the islands . They basically made it into a semi private lake resort that only lot owners can access . It is wall to wall wake boats and jet skis .I tried fishing in there last summer and couldn't get a moments peace from skiers and speed demons. Pizzez me off ,I live 2 miles from that lake but it's not worth the effort to try and go there anymore . On top of the fact that all the "cabin" owners tear out most of the shoreline vegitation so they can pretend they are on the coast ,that lake is not big enough to accommodate the number of big boats that are on there . The should put a Hp limit of under 10 and see how fast the lots go up for sale
Old 06-12-2016, 12:37 AM

I was out trolling around the other day and had a small pike on the line, after only 10 minutes or so. So that's a small indication of some fish survival at least. Didn't fish for long, and I'm assuming I didn't hook into the only pike left in the lake 😀. Too bad though, never good when a lake winter kills when we have so few of them
Old 06-12-2016, 12:56 AM

I heard it was because of the new aeration program the Alberta NDP "government" put in place...this is one of those situations where I will keep the rest to myself as none of it will be constructive from this point on.

I hope they are proud of the job they are doing so far!!!

Old 06-12-2016, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsxrgrizz View Post
I heard it was because of the new aeration program the Alberta NDP "government" put in place...this is one of those situations where I will keep the rest to myself as none of it will be constructive from this point on.

Wrong, this lake was not aerated. It's to bad, it was a good lake in the summer.
Old 06-12-2016, 09:06 AM

Quote:

This is not a trout pond.
Old 06-12-2016, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crownb View Post
Wrong, this lake was not aerated. It's to bad, it was a good lake in the summer.

If you Google it, there are several articles that discuss the lakes that experienced winter kill this year due to the new aeration program. One of the first is from Global news where Jackfish Lake is mentioned at the bottom.

They also go on to say all the effected lakes will be re-stocked with trout but I suspect it will be several years before the lake recovers to where it was.

Old 06-12-2016, 10:12 AM

Jackfish lake was never a trout lake ,and always was full of Pike and walleye and perch Some very big Walleye and Pike. Now it's just full of very large wake boats it seems. I doubt it was ever aerated as it is a fairly deep lake as well. The last thing we need is another fake trout lake . But I wouldn't put it past them to stock it with trout.
Old 06-12-2016, 10:20 AM

Quote:
If you Google it, there are several articles that discuss the lakes that experienced winter kill this year due to the new aeration program. One of the first is from Global news where Jackfish Lake is mentioned at the bottom.

They also go on to say all the effected lakes will be re-stocked with trout but I suspect it will be several years before the lake recovers to where it was.

Probably a few jack fish lakes in Alberta. My guess.
Old 06-12-2016, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Probably a few jack fish lakes in Alberta. My guess.
Yup
Old 06-12-2016, 10:26 AM
Banned

Jack fish lake that was aerated is a trout lake east of Two Hills, south of St Paul.
Old 06-12-2016, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Jack fish lake that was aerated is a trout lake east of Two Hills, south of St Paul.
Is that the lake nestled in farm fields? Campground on the N/S? Used to hold some whopper trout 15 + yrs ago.
Old 06-12-2016, 04:44 PM
Banned

Quote:

The NDP govt. had nothing to do with what you call "the new aeration program", and the jackson lake your talking about is not the one the OP is talking about.
Old 06-12-2016, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
The NDP govt. had nothing to do with what you call "the new aeration program", and the jackson lake your talking about is not the one the OP is talking about.

Actually it's JackFISH lake not Jackson lake and whether or not the JackFISH lake I or the OP was referring to was in fact one of the lakes officially effected is kind of a moot point when considering your post. In the end, the NDP are 100% responsible for revamping the aeration program in order to free themselves of any legal accountability should someone fall through the ice, which has NEVER HAPPENED, when using a surface aerator.....the new aeration program I am referring to is what lead to major fish kills all over Alberta.

As for the Jackfish lake I, and the OP was referring to, in Parkland County, it too experienced a winter kill that was determined by Alberta Fisheries to be due to lack of oxygen over the winter.

Old 06-12-2016, 06:24 PM

Quote:

Wrong as I will clarify below.

Quote:

Not applicable as I will clarify below.

Quote:
Actually it's JackFISH lake not Jackson lake and whether or not the JackFISH lake I or the OP was referring to was in fact one of the lakes officially effected is kind of a moot point when considering your post. In the end, the NDP are 100% responsible for revamping the aeration program in order to free themselves of any legal accountability should someone fall through the ice, which has NEVER HAPPENED, when using a surface aerator.....the new aeration program I am referring to is what lead to major fish kills all over Alberta.

As for the Jackfish lake I, and the OP was referring to, in Parkland County, it too experienced a winter kill that was determined by Alberta Fisheries to be due to lack of oxygen over the winter.

Buddy get your facts straight...

First off there are multiple Jackfish lakes in Alberta including a trout stocked lake that he was referring to... That doesn't matter though as this thread is clearly about the one in Parkland County which has nothing to do with trout.

Your first post stated the die off at this lake was due to the aeration issue which is not true as another member pointed out. Jackfish Lake was never aerated period end of story.

But since you couldn't let it go lets prove how you are wrong about the NDP too...

Aeration is done by a 3rd party, the Alberta Conservation Association (ACA), and they are the ones that decided to change the aeration because they don't have the funds etc to take the responsibility of the legality if something were to happen due to this aeration. The changes had nothing to do with the NDP... In fact the NDP government actually worked to put in place an agreement that allowed some of the lakes in the NW to remain aerated using the previous means in order to stop them from winter killing. They did this by shifting the responsibility of the aeration over to the government instead of leaving it on the ACA(at least this is how I understood it) and they left the surface aerators in place and fenced them off once the lakes froze.

Get your facts straight before you start telling other members they are wrong...
Old 06-12-2016, 06:42 PM

Who do you think contracted the ACA? All the news articles also specifically stated that the ACA AND the GOVERNMENT SHARED the responsibility for the program. If I contract a 3rd party of perform work on my behalf and they mess it up, I am still responsible for the damages.....

Either way, no point in replying as I am done....you have you're opinion and I have mine. We are both entitled to it regardless of how each of us feels the other is completely wrong

Last edited by Gsxrgrizz; 06-12-2016 at 06:53 PM.
Old 06-12-2016, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Who do you think contracted the ACA? All the news articles also specifically stated that the ACA AND the GOVERNMENT SHARED the responsibility for the program. If I contract a 3rd party of perform work on my behalf and they mess it up, I am still responsible for the damages.....

Either way, no point in replying as I am done....you have you're opinion and I have mine. We are both entitled to it regardless of how each of us feels the other is completely wrong

ACA was contracted FAR before the NDP ever got into power... They have been doing this for a long time now...

These aren't opinions btw, they are facts... The NDP had nothing to do with ACA's decision to change their aeration techniques. In fact if the rumblings I have heard is true then if/when the ACA goes back to using the old surface aeration equipment it will be because of the current government... I haven't seen anything concrete that this is happening for sure but if it does I guess you will have to sing another tune lol...

And for the record I am no way shape or form and NDP supporter and I want them out of power but in this case you are wrong and they aren't the cause of this particular issue...
Old 06-12-2016, 09:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
Is that the lake nestled in farm fields? Campground on the N/S? Used to hold some whopper trout 15 + yrs ago.
Ya, I think that's the place. Just south off 45.
Old 06-13-2016, 05:40 AM

If you look at the Fishin Holes fishing report it lists this Jackfish Lake as an aerated lake
Old 06-13-2016, 09:48 PM
Banned

Quote:

About the only thing you got right so far on this thread Gsx, is that I mis-spelt Jackfish lake.
Why I put Jackson is beyond me, though my grandson's name is Jackson on so perhaps my sub concsious took over.
Anyways, the NDP govt. had nothing to do with why the aerators were turned off at a lot of trout ponds. With all the threads and other info. that is out there, I'm surprised that you are clinging to this notion. Just face the fact that you were wrong, both about why aerators were turned off, and the fact that you were talking about the wrong lake. No big deal.
Normally it would have been a safe bet to blame the NDP, but this time it was not their doing. Your also wrong about no-one falling through near an aerator. It happened at Salters a couple years ago, but the old fellow was pulled to safety, and no legal action was pursued. Your starting to look silly by continuing to argue your case. Facts are all against you.

Last edited by waterninja; 06-13-2016 at 09:54 PM.
Old 06-14-2016, 06:43 PM

Quote:

LOL! And if it was printed in a paper it can't be wrong....they always get it right. I don't know what you are talking about on this thread. You have derailed yourself not that you started from a good point anyways.