Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-27-2009, 09:25 PM

Default AR-15s why are they restricted?

Remmington just came out with a couple of AR type rifles designed with the hunter in mind. the R-15 in .223 and the R-25 in .308. now because theese rifles are AR type they are ristricted in Canada. so in other words they are pointles to own as you need a permit to transport and that would make hunting dificult to say the least. so my question is why are theese rifles restricted when simular type rifles like SKSs and mini 30s/mini 14s or CZ 858 tactical 2s are all non restricted? it's like rifle racisim!
Old 05-27-2009, 09:30 PM

I believe the regulations mentioned something about them being "black and scary looking"

You're right though, it doesn't make any sense, they are considering the look of something versus the function. While I don't want to be shot with anything, I would take my chances with a .223 before a 7.62x39mm, and there are a lot of reports you hear about the M-16 being "underpowered" in combat. If you like the tacti-cool look you could consider something along the lines of an AR 180, which is still non restricted. (and is still black and scary looking)
Old 05-27-2009, 09:50 PM

i have a hard time beliving its based on looks considering the CZ 858 tactical 2 looks alot like the ultra feared AK-47.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:47 PM

A team ruined it for us in the 80s.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:46 AM

Didn't the A-team use mini-14's in full auto with those special endless clips??

WOODY
CSSA NFAMember
Old 05-28-2009, 07:01 AM

The A-Team taught me that firearms are used for suppressive cover fire in which no one is ever hurt (thats what the fistfights are for). They're good for disabling vehicles though, so you can make the bad guys pull over to get in another fistfight. Mostly Mini-14's on that show, but a fair showing for the AR.

If there were any logic behind the restricted status of the AR's that would insinuate that there are logical people in the Liberal party that instituted the asinine legislation in the first place. (Their logic isthat by banning first the scary military style weapons, it then allows them to start banning the next most scary firearm, and so on and so on until we're left with the banning of paintball markers)
Old 05-28-2009, 07:41 AM

Well fellers, I just bought a 'mouse gun' and that is pretty much the reason why - as a deliberate ***** You to the liberals, and that given the sad state of organization among gun owners...they will probably get their way and ban these fine guns eventually!

They are truly remarkable guns fellas. YOU can take them from standard mil spec battle rifles to tack driving sub-MOA comp guns and only have to buy a few inexpensive tools. They are modular rifles meant to be worked on by guys just like us. Brownell's has a short vid library showing you how the rifle works, what tools to use, and how to order the replacement parts that will work for you.

In addition to flipping the bird at liberal gun grabbers, I bought mine because I believe that there is a great deal of fun to be had shooting a simple mil-spec service rifle with iron sights and cheap ball ammo. Shooting has devolved into a tech war and while there's nothing wrong with that...there is a time and place to keep the playing field level and just have fun. The AR is a fun gun that I should have bought long ago - and I think you guys should have one too! If the wife gives you any static, tell her I said it was alright and that you can spend as much as you need.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:04 AM

Her's another candidate, for the list.
http://gunnuts.net/2009/05/15/ruger-sr-556/

Grizz
Old 05-28-2009, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppaW View Post
Didn't the A-team use mini-14's in full auto with those special endless clips??
I honestly can't remember.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:25 PM

Default Mistaken to be convertable

They are restricted mainly due to the mis-belief they can be easily converted to full auto. This idea may have come from the FN .308 the CF used. Apparently they can converted to full auto in a minute just by manipulating a pin or spring (second hand knowledge)
Old 05-29-2009, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggard Hillbilly View Post
i have a hard time beliving its based on looks considering the CZ 858 tactical 2 looks alot like the ultra feared AK-47.
At least if you live in Edmonton, it doesn't seem to make a difference. My bro's CZ was seized and held by the Edmonton Police for a year and a half, because it took them that long to figure out that it wasn't an AK.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor