Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 07-19-2023, 09:43 AM

Default Bow Shop Dry Fired and Dropped my bow.

Good morning All!

So, to try and make a long story short I took my bow (just a diamond fugitive) into the bow shop for a tune. The guy went to test the draw weight and once at full draw the scale slipped from his hand and the bow dry fired. Unfortunately, the scale hit him in the hand as well which caused him to basically toss the bow to the ground. He seemed to be okay which is good. Another worker put my bow back together and checked it all out and proceeded to shoot the tiniest group it ever has ha. So its got some dings and marks and one cable has a fray, but they said they weren't worried.

That all seems great, but I just feel like I have been screwed my bow that is basically brand new has been defiled and it wasn't even by me. I haven't gone to pick it up from the tune yet so I'm not sure if there will be a discount or anything, but I don't know if I should be asking for something. Maybe something in writing so if a limb snaps off in the next month it's on them?

Super bummed is my first year really trying to get into archery and now I just have zero confidence in my bow.
Old 07-19-2023, 10:50 AM

id be looking for a free tune up and a gift card to their shop.

if the bow shoots well and everything looks good then I'd be happy. Maybe ask about them warrantying any future limb failures.
Old 07-19-2023, 10:55 AM

It was mistake and not done on purpose but you now have a damaged bow. I am new to bow hunting but I would be weary every time I pulled it back if they don't at least give you new cables/strings.

New cables/strings, a nice discount for your troubles and something in writing that they cover any future incidents till the end of this hunting season?
Old 07-19-2023, 10:56 AM

Which shop btw?
Old 07-19-2023, 12:07 PM

It sucks that it happened but it did.
I would be looking to them to replace the cables and strings.

That fray could drastically shorten the life of the cables and strings.
If it wasn't there before, and is now, that is damage that should be covered by them.

I don't judge businesses by their mistakes, but rather how they rectify them.

After all, we are all human and mistakes happen.
Old 07-19-2023, 12:47 PM

Mistakes happen. It’s on them, and they owe you a new bow. Not a warranty, fix, free whatever…..Time to talk to the owner. If they are so confident it’s ok, they can keep it and shoot it themselves (they wont - guess why).

Confidence aside, you don’t need an arrow or piece of limb through you or anyone else that happens to be beside you. Or a lost eye, a hunt wrecked, a blow up in the back of your vehicle etc etc.

BTW it is never ok to shoot with frayed cables or strings.

Now you have learned a very valuable lesson, that we all learn (and god knows I did, the hard way, several times) - if you want something done right, learn to do it yourself. Sucks but it will pay off in the long run.

Talk to the owner and be polite but hold your ground.
Old 07-19-2023, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleSS View Post
Exactly this.

Applies to many other areas of life too.
Old 07-19-2023, 12:56 PM

Thanks all for your replies and thoughts. Just got off the phone with them and they are confident the bow is alright and its tuned really well. They replaced the quiver as it had taken damage and I am confident they will take care of anything else if need be.
Old 07-20-2023, 01:37 PM

Default Dry fires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigsy View Post
Thanks all for your replies and thoughts. Just got off the phone with them and they are confident the bow is alright and its tuned really well. They replaced the quiver as it had taken damage and I am confident they will take care of anything else if need be.
The bow is not ok. The strings and cables need to be replaced at the very least. Them telling you it's fine is hoping you will accept this and they are out nothing. Post your situation on Archerytalk and you will get the same( replace strings and cables) response. I'm sure if you dry fired one of their bows you would be buying it.
Old 07-20-2023, 02:06 PM

Yes chit happens.

Get that cable with fray replaced.

Have a chat with the owner / manager ( be civil )

Get some assurances that it will be looked after if it fails ( In writing )

Learn how to do bow maintenance

Go shoot it
Old 07-20-2023, 02:38 PM

If you are happy with the situation that’s what matters. If the scale was shot out of the bow… technically it wasn’t dry fired, however it sounds like it was dropped. As long as the bow scale is of equal or more than 5gr/lbs of draw weight then likely nothing is damaged. Sounds like the shop is helping with the situation and you get a new quiver.

LC
Old 07-20-2023, 03:15 PM

At Jimbows Calgary when I asked them to check the draw weight on my bow he went to the range and knocked an arrow just in case this happened.

Sounds like an easy fix the shop can make to prevent this in the future.
Old 07-20-2023, 06:06 PM

My buddy let his boss try his Diamond bow and boss man dry fired it. Bow instantly became a disaster.
Sole reason I have never purchased a used bow. I would from a guy like Skelly all day long.

I would punt it. Confidence in your equipment is the be all end all.
Old 07-21-2023, 12:30 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleSS View Post
It sucks that it happened but it did.
I would be looking to them to replace the cables and strings.

That fray could drastically shorten the life of the cables and strings.
If it wasn't there before, and is now, that is damage that should be covered by them.

After all, we are all human and mistakes happen.
Exactly.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-22-2023, 07:14 AM

Before I left there I would have ANY damaged items replaced.
I would also stand there and watch their Tech shoot two dozen arrows from it before I paid for anything.

They do all that, you should have no issues with the bow.
Old 07-24-2023, 11:06 AM

Im sure I should have could have asked for more but I am just no that kind of guy.

Tech put 60 arrows through the next day and had zero concerns. I have put probably 100 arrows through since and bow is shooting better then ever.

Hopefully karma will put a big buck or bull infront of me this season.
Old 07-24-2023, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Good morning All!

So, to try and make a long story short I took my bow (just a diamond fugitive) into the bow shop for a tune. The guy went to test the draw weight and once at full draw the scale slipped from his hand and the bow dry fired. Unfortunately, the scale hit him in the hand as well which caused him to basically toss the bow to the ground. He seemed to be okay which is good. Another worker put my bow back together and checked it all out and proceeded to shoot the tiniest group it ever has ha. So its got some dings and marks and one cable has a fray, but they said they weren't worried.

That all seems great, but I just feel like I have been screwed my bow that is basically brand new has been defiled and it wasn't even by me. I haven't gone to pick it up from the tune yet so I'm not sure if there will be a discount or anything, but I don't know if I should be asking for something. Maybe something in writing so if a limb snaps off in the next month it's on them?

Super bummed is my first year really trying to get into archery and now I just have zero confidence in my bow.
What did the other worker need to put back together?

I agree with Lefty that the scale would act like an arrow in regards to weight, but if the string was also derailed, that can cause unseen damage under the serving on both the string and cables.

If I was working on your bow, I would have offered to buy the bow for the exact price paid for it, as well as any accessories that were damaged.
Old 07-24-2023, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Im sure I should have could have asked for more but I am just no that kind of guy.

Tech put 60 arrows through the next day and had zero concerns. I have put probably 100 arrows through since and bow is shooting better then ever.

I like your style. Hope to see a thread here this fall, showing you with a P&Y Buck or Bull.

BW
Old 07-24-2023, 06:42 PM
Banned

right on vigsy. you sound like a stand up guy.
Old 07-24-2023, 11:05 PM

Quote:

This is a great attitude to take on the matter and one that will serve you in the long run. Both with Karma and the lack of stressing in your life over the situation. Fix it and move on.