Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-02-2023, 05:01 PM

Default Bird ID..

OK forum birders, anyone ID this guy for me ? About Robin size,I'm guessing this is a.male ,more with it were tan and gold ,likely females ?

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
Old 12-02-2023, 05:02 PM

Pine Grosbeak
Old 12-02-2023, 05:02 PM

Pine grosbeak
Old 12-02-2023, 05:11 PM

Thanx guys , I live south of Lethbridge just north of the border and had never seen one ...had no fear and landed within 6 ft of us working outside and stayed for an hr .

Old 12-02-2023, 05:16 PM

I would highly recommend the app 'Merlin' to assist with bird identification. You can input a picture (haven't tried that), or open the app and let it listen to nearby birds - I've done this lots and had up to 5 or 6 birds identified at one time, or there's a third option which runs you through a few questions about where you saw the bird, general size, 3 main colors, then it outputs a list of possible matches, also successful for me.

The app is excellent, and free. If you create an account you can create a 'life list' and track the different birds you see over time.

They've talked about it, and had the creators on The Meateater podcast, which is where I heard about it.
Old 12-02-2023, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1886 View Post
Pine grosbeak
I see lots in my lilac bush, usually after it get really cold.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 12-03-2023, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-regard View Post
I would highly recommend the app 'Merlin' to assist with bird identification. You can input a picture (haven't tried that), or open the app and let it listen to nearby birds - I've done this lots and had up to 5 or 6 birds identified at one time, or there's a third option which runs you through a few questions about where you saw the bird, general size, 3 main colors, then it outputs a list of possible matches, also successful for me.

The app is excellent, and free. If you create an account you can create a 'life list' and track the different birds you see over time.

They've talked about it, and had the creators on The Meateater podcast, which is where I heard about it.
Thank you , gonna check it out for sure . We don't get a whole pile of different birds here but it's cool to see something different ..one of our favorites is the pair of Orioles that nest here each summer.

Old 12-03-2023, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-regard View Post

Great app an free.
Old 12-04-2023, 09:22 AM

We get lots of them in the North here through the winter the Evening Grosbeak is a really nice bird with their Yellow Mask!
Old 12-09-2023, 02:57 AM

Any berry bush and they’re on it. Love ‘em. Big flocks at my place.