Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-06-2023, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Oatey View Post
Passed up this one and a couple more about the same size. Decent size for a bush buck. I only hunt crown land so they don't get as big as those nice grain fed bucks do.
Your totally right you will see bigger bucks on farmland than in the bush.
Old 12-06-2023, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
Congrats to you on the non typical!...I noticed over the years you always take your son out hunting with you even when he looked pretty young,i tip my hat to you for that.

Thanks man! My boys have been coming out with me since they were about 3 years old…
the best times I’ve ever spent in the woods have been watching my kids kill some phenomenal and memorable animals. They’ve each been successful on deer, and elk. One has killed a moose and a cougar, the other’s first big game animal was a beauty 6.5’ black bear. Both of them have turned into phenomenal hunters, and they’re both a much better rifle shot than i am!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-06-2023, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Its easy to pass on small bucks if you got your own farm land to hunt and you know he will get bigger for you next year . But if your bush hunting and don't have a camera set up whats in the area then no ,you shot whats in front of you

The truth is a lot of guys are posting pictures of deer and Elk with big horns that are really not getting hunted ,but just harvested off of private farm land.

I don’t own land - but about 90% of the land i hunt is due to the kindness of landowners. Although i have cameras, i don’t use them anymore. I’ve had too many stolen, so it’s not worth it for me. The last couple years I’ve told myself I’m NOT shooting a whitetail unless it’s bigger than what I’ve already got. I’ve got elk meat, so don’t need to kill something unless it’s a trophy. I was VERY tempted by the 140-150ish buck in my previous post, but held off, hoping for 160+. Five minutes after i passed up that buck, the giant non typical came into the opening, and i got him. I had no idea he was there, there was no long stalk or tricky hunt - all it came down to was straight up luck. Being in the right place at the right time. This farm gets hunted pretty hard - i have no idea how the buck made it to the age and maturity and size he got to. I’m sure there were other guys who knew he was there and were hunting him… but i got lucky.
All I’m getting at is that you’ve gotta be willing to go home empty handed, and put the time in. Eventually, you’ll cross paths with a trophy of a lifetime - no matter if you hunt big bush or farmland. Private land with sole access or crown land with guys everywhere. They’re out there if you’re willing to hold out for them.

Old 12-06-2023, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
I went on a 20 day campaign in the big bush this year. First time devoting a November to it for better than 10 years. Probably closer to 15. There was nothing big on my place, or the other private land I frequent, besides a really nice up and comer that I didn’t even want to chance running into.

My biggest WT has come from the forests that could hide an army. I had around 20 cameras out and was pleasantly surprised with a few of the pockets of deer located. I ended up having the scope on 25 bucks that were rattled in. Another 4 that came but would not reveal themselves. My mind tells me that these are always the largest(not necessarily the case). Despite having bigger bucks on camera, I failed in connecting with any of them. No surprise - I have not forgotten who I am pursuing. I passed a 165” or so mainframe 5x5 with a 6-7” drop tine at 60 yards. He would have tickled or broke the 170” mark. I really wanted to dump him but I have the 160-170” size range covered in spades already. So 1.75 of the 2lbs trigger pressure required was let down and he walked away. Roughly a week later, I rattled in my third buck of that day and it was a deer I had pictures of, but was not able to see any of his extras in the captures. He had a 150” type 5x6 main frame but twin scissor brows and an inline. Great mass and beams wrapped in hard. I had misjudged him by 15” or better off of the photos. He finished at 12 yards. Just a beautiful rattling set. But he is a younger buck. Let him walk off too. Im not sure how much merit there is to letting the bush bucks walk but, we will see how it pans out in years to come.

By complete fluke, two of my cams ended up in or very close to the core area of a typical 6x7 that would gross in the 190s. He snapped off 27-30” of tines quite early. Which made me sick with all the daylight photos I was getting. I’m sure I could have killed that buck, but I feel it would have been a sin with him being broken as he was. Another buck I had several pictures of, I had talked myself out of being on the list. Until I got a picture that really showcased him. Biggest blunder of the season. He was quite regular on two cams in daylight and I squandered all of that potential opportunity not hunting him. A friend of mine had pictures of him from 2020 and he was already big then, but we never made the connection until it was too late. Probably a gross 180” buck,likely 7.5 years old.

All in all, it was a great season. I hadn’t realized how much I had missed chasing them in the big bush. Much more to learn as well as remember things I have forgotten.
What’s your favourite three days to hunt?
Old 12-06-2023, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageValleyOutdoors View Post
Thanks man! My boys have been coming out with me since they were about 3 years old…
the best times I’ve ever spent in the woods have been watching my kids kill some phenomenal and memorable animals. They’ve each been successful on deer, and elk. One has killed a moose and a cougar, the other’s first big game animal was a beauty 6.5’ black bear. Both of them have turned into phenomenal hunters, and they’re both a much better rifle shot than i am!

That is awesome, man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageValleyOutdoors View Post
I don’t own land - but about 90% of the land i hunt is due to the kindness of landowners. Although i have cameras, i don’t use them anymore. I’ve had too many stolen, so it’s not worth it for me. The last couple years I’ve told myself I’m NOT shooting a whitetail unless it’s bigger than what I’ve already got. I’ve got elk meat, so don’t need to kill something unless it’s a trophy. I was VERY tempted by the 140-150ish buck in my previous post, but held off, hoping for 160+. Five minutes after i passed up that buck, the giant non typical came into the opening, and i got him. I had no idea he was there, there was no long stalk or tricky hunt - all it came down to was straight up luck. Being in the right place at the right time. This farm gets hunted pretty hard - i have no idea how the buck made it to the age and maturity and size he got to. I’m sure there were other guys who knew he was there and were hunting him… but i got lucky.
All I’m getting at is that you’ve gotta be willing to go home empty handed, and put the time in. Eventually, you’ll cross paths with a trophy of a lifetime - no matter if you hunt big bush or farmland. Private land with sole access or crown land with guys everywhere. They’re out there if you’re willing to hold out for them.

This is key, imo. The biggest bucks that I personally know of that were shot around here, no one knew of their existence. The biggest was shot less than 30 meters from a camera that was there year round overlooking few trails. He was never caught on it and the area where he was shot after later examination appeared to be his bedding area, one of the trails right by it led straight to the camera. Go figure. Neither was he captured on any of the other few cameras that were in the area. The hunter saw a buck just bedding down, waited a long while and shot it. Only realized after the fact what he shot. Just how she goes more often than not, I would think.

Edit: and congrats on the deer, mate!
Old 12-06-2023, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtsyneil View Post
Your totally right you will see bigger bucks on farmland than in the bush.
I think there may be more deer, but I do not believe you will necessarily see bigger buck on farmland. You will sure see more of them because there is more deer.

Edit: you will also see more big bucks and deer in general on the farmland because you can actually see them because… well, it’s farmland.
Old 12-06-2023, 02:49 PM

Quote:
I went on a 20 day campaign in the big bush this year. First time devoting a November to it for better than 10 years. Probably closer to 15. There was nothing big on my place, or the other private land I frequent, besides a really nice up and comer that I didn’t even want to chance running into.

My biggest WT has come from the forests that could hide an army. I had around 20 cameras out and was pleasantly surprised with a few of the pockets of deer located. I ended up having the scope on 25 bucks that were rattled in. Another 4 that came but would not reveal themselves. My mind tells me that these are always the largest(not necessarily the case). Despite having bigger bucks on camera, I failed in connecting with any of them. No surprise - I have not forgotten who I am pursuing. I passed a 165” or so mainframe 5x5 with a 6-7” drop tine at 60 yards. He would have tickled or broke the 170” mark. I really wanted to dump him but I have the 160-170” size range covered in spades already. So 1.75 of the 2lbs trigger pressure required was let down and he walked away. Roughly a week later, I rattled in my third buck of that day and it was a deer I had pictures of, but was not able to see any of his extras in the captures. He had a 150” type 5x6 main frame but twin scissor brows and an inline. Great mass and beams wrapped in hard. I had misjudged him by 15” or better off of the photos. He finished at 12 yards. Just a beautiful rattling set. But he is a younger buck. Let him walk off too. Im not sure how much merit there is to letting the bush bucks walk but, we will see how it pans out in years to come.

By complete fluke, two of my cams ended up in or very close to the core area of a typical 6x7 that would gross in the 190s. He snapped off 27-30” of tines quite early. Which made me sick with all the daylight photos I was getting. I’m sure I could have killed that buck, but I feel it would have been a sin with him being broken as he was. Another buck I had several pictures of, I had talked myself out of being on the list. Until I got a picture that really showcased him. Biggest blunder of the season. He was quite regular on two cams in daylight and I squandered all of that potential opportunity not hunting him. A friend of mine had pictures of him from 2020 and he was already big then, but we never made the connection until it was too late. Probably a gross 180” buck,likely 7.5 years old.

All in all, it was a great season. I hadn’t realized how much I had missed chasing them in the big bush. Much more to learn as well as remember things I have forgotten.
Sounds like a great season and a great area. Better luck next time!
Old 12-06-2023, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
What’s your favourite three days to hunt?
If I had to pick three and three only. I’d have to go with 14-16th. Those would be my do not miss days.
Old 12-06-2023, 03:03 PM

Quote:
If I had to pick three and three only. I’d have to go with 14-16th. Those would be my do not miss days.
Interesting!!!
Old 12-06-2023, 03:21 PM

Quote:
10th-15th is my favorite 5 days so not a big difference in timing
Old 12-06-2023, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
10th-15th is my favorite 5 days so not a big difference in timing
I would not argue those being excellent choices. 8-20th plus or minus a day or two either way covers what I’d take as a two week devotion to things in the bush. Scrape action was sure hot before I got at things though. Basically from Halloween on, things were pretty juicy. If work allows next season, I hope to be able to do some elevated and silent viewing in a couple spots located.
Old 12-06-2023, 04:42 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
I would not argue those being excellent choices. 8-20th plus or minus a day or two either way covers what I’d take as a two week devotion to things in the bush. Scrape action was sure hot before I got at things though. Basically from Halloween on, things were pretty juicy. If work allows next season, I hope to be able to do some elevated and silent viewing in a couple spots located.
Would you pick the same dates if hunting the crop fields?

Dad and I both shot our bucks this year on the 14th so that falls right inline with your top 3 days.

Starting next year I'm going to show more restraint like you and unless its tall ,wide and heavy im not pulling the trigger.
Old 12-06-2023, 04:56 PM

Interesting discussion on the best days. My son and I were talking about it this season and we went back and looked at the pictures on our phones for the past 10 years and when we had harvested big deer. November 15-19 have been the days we have most often shot deer, although two of the biggest were outliers, Nov 26 and 28th.
Old 12-06-2023, 05:04 PM

Quote:
From what you are posting timing/experience wise I would say we are likely hunting within 3hrs drive of each other lol

One thing you might want to try is ditch the rattling antlers and stick to grunts and bleats. I rattled for years but started noticing the big bucks hanging up like you mentioned in your post. Ditched the antlers and started running less aggressive calling and very few bucks are hanging up now.
Old 12-06-2023, 06:03 PM

Yea, I took a pass at a couple this year.

One was a pretty nice smaller 5X5, and the other was a wide 5X5, but the right side was messed up (2 points missing from a fight on the right side).

But all good, still had a great year hunting.

My attitude is that whitetails rut when they "want" to rut. So I try to be in the bush, field, or stand, around their preferred times, being mid November...
Old 12-06-2023, 06:49 PM

[QUOTE=Smoky buck;4682064]From what you are posting timing/experience wise I would say we are likely hunting within 3hrs drive of each other lol

One thing you might want to try is ditch the rattling antlers and stick to grunts and bleats. I rattled for years but started noticing the big bucks hanging up like you mentioned in your post. Ditched the antlers and started running less aggressive calling and very few bucks are hanging up now.[/QUOTE

That’s one thing I did leave out of my season synopsis of sorts. Two of my “rattle talley” were not rattled at all. One was grunted and the other rubbed in. And a couple others were on me within seconds of starting to rattle so they were most definitely coming in to investigate the grunts I had begun with. Unless of course they were just moving that way anyway. But I sort of doubt it.

I’ve got a rough idea where you do your hunting. We’d be within three hours of one another.
Old 12-06-2023, 06:58 PM

The best days to be hunting is any day you can get out. But if I wanted to kill a true giant from lock down till the end would be my days to be hunting. The 22nd till 30th by far the best in my neck of the woods.
Old 12-06-2023, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Would you pick the same dates if hunting the crop fields?

Dad and I both shot our bucks this year on the 14th so that falls right inline with your top 3 days.

Starting next year I'm going to show more restraint like you and unless its tall ,wide and heavy im not pulling the trigger.
I would yes. But that’s just me. I know guys who live and die by the last week. Others by the first. I dunno. Pick your poison. The entire month can be good.
Old 12-06-2023, 07:25 PM

Quote:
I would yes. But that’s just me. I know guys who live and die by the last week. Others by the first. I dunno. Pick your poison. The entire month can be good.
I believe in your 3 days ...dad and I usally never start before the 16th and this year found ourselves up there early on the 12th....we instantly started seeing alot of deer up and until right around the 17th then the action slowed down....we shot our bucks but had elk tags and grouse guns and were still in the same general area.

Too bad next year due to work & the wife, the earliest I can get up there is the 15th,however ill be hunting right to the 30th...
Old 12-06-2023, 07:27 PM

Guys trying to figure out the “best” timing consider how you are hunting and what activity you will benefit from most

My timing is to target bucks I have pre scouted that are getting a little rut dumb and the bucks that don’t hold a tight range start keying in on scrapes. I don’t like the late stage where bucks are roaming hard because the bucks I scouted to target start being less reliable to the locations I set up to target them. Also less likely to be impacted by other hunters. Plus they are less likely to have broken antlers

Late is better if you are relying on roaming deer. The are most likely to travel in the open too. Those big bucks that are hidden in areas you don’t know can appear. If your area just holds does it can also be good

It’s all about what part of the rut benefits you most or the style of location you target
Old 12-06-2023, 07:29 PM

^ This.
Old 12-06-2023, 07:35 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Guys trying to figure out the “best” timing consider how you are hunting and what activity you will benefit from most

My timing is to target bucks I have pre scouted that are getting a little rut dumb and the bucks that don’t hold a tight range start keying in on scrapes. I don’t like the late stage where bucks are roaming hard because the bucks I scouted to target start being less reliable to the locations I set up to target them. Also less likely to be impacted by other hunters. Plus they are less likely to have broken antlers

Late is better if you are relying on roaming deer. The are most likely to travel in the open too. Those big bucks that are hidden in areas you don’t know can appear. If your area just holds does it can also be good

It’s all about what part of the rut benefits you most or the style of location you target
Well said as this is me as a hunter in regards prefering the end of the season as I live 8.5 hrs from where I hunt whitetail and dont know what specific buck im hunting or have trail cameras to scout the area before hand.

I rely on the rut,I rely on word of mouth from landowners and locals about where big bucks have been spotted,I rely on snow & cold weather and rely on finding specific rubs on trees I look for.
Old 12-06-2023, 08:19 PM

Don't rattle much anymore. Found I was only attracting younger bucks, most bigger old boys have heard it all. 95 times out of 100 they will not come in until they circle around and scent check downwind to confirm it is other bucks not a hunter. They get a wiff of a human, they just fade away. Most buck 'fights' only last a few seconds and one runs away, knock down drag it out fights are rare. I think 10 and 15 minute rattling sessions do nothing but spook nearby bucks.

I find most big older bucks don't do a lot of doe chasing, they got their routes and know all the girls in the neighbor hood. Scent check them from downwind and show up when it is time to do their business. They generally don't run around like teenager/young adult bucks chasing everything that moves. Of course there are always exceptions, your mileage may vary.
Old 12-07-2023, 06:19 AM

I've never regretted a pass, if winter kills one I hoped would grow, so be it. If someone else kills one, so be it. I once killed a 235" whitetail that I passed as a 190 because he went from 150 to 190.

I enjoy reading threads like this, feel like I could ramble for days on many things posted. Every area is different, every deer is different. Both my boys killed real nice whites this year, one was absolutely covered in fat, likely hadn't chased much, the other didn't wear and ounce of it, had a busted jaw and knocked out teeth and was likely the buck responsible for so many busted tines and beams in the small area he ran does like a chuckwagon horse.
Old 12-07-2023, 08:20 AM

I always thought that anytime after the 20th was ideal right up until the last day. When I finally decided to join the trail camera crowd my thoughts were proven correct with big bucks actively roaming hard into December.

That all went out the window this year however as the last 2 weeks were pretty dead on every camera I checked so far and the cell cameras. There was the odd buck but they were cautiously creeping around their home areas, no strange bucks cruising through with their noses to the ground and heads in the clouds.

What I did learn from cameras is just how awesome the pre-rut is and the myth of a complete lock down on or about mid month. I have been running cameras for 3 or 4 years now and from mid October to about November 5th is incredible for deer movement. It slows down a bit as they adjust to the influx of hunters but that seems to be short lived as activity picks right up again until about the 15th or 16th. Activity after the 5th is most certainly more common in the bush around bedding areas. I use to sit out the first of the month mostly still hunting/scouting for the end of the month. I now believe that the first week of November is the probably the best time to get a big buck if you know his core area. The last week of October as well if it is open.

Mid month it did slow down but there still was some awesome activity where ever there were does. On normal years I believe the big bucks do rest a bit after the peak and start to wander hard on or about the 20th but not this year.

My theory on this was the low doe activity. They didn't have to browse much during the day as it was warm enough that they were not burning calories just to stay warm. They instinctively preserve fat when possible with low activity. This of course makes them very easy for a buck to locate as they are hanging around bedding areas all day. Bedding areas are generally hard to hunt as they are in thick protected areas.
Old 12-07-2023, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
I always thought that anytime after the 20th was ideal right up until the last day. When I finally decided to join the trail camera crowd my thoughts were proven correct with big bucks actively roaming hard into December.

That all went out the window this year however as the last 2 weeks were pretty dead on every camera I checked so far and the cell cameras. There was the odd buck but they were cautiously creeping around their home areas, no strange bucks cruising through with their noses to the ground and heads in the clouds.

What I did learn from cameras is just how awesome the pre-rut is and the myth of a complete lock down on or about mid month. I have been running cameras for 3 or 4 years now and from mid October to about November 5th is incredible for deer movement. It slows down a bit as they adjust to the influx of hunters but that seems to be short lived as activity picks right up again until about the 15th or 16th. Activity after the 5th is most certainly more common in the bush around bedding areas. I use to sit out the first of the month mostly still hunting/scouting for the end of the month. I now believe that the first week of November is the probably the best time to get a big buck if you know his core area. The last week of October as well if it is open.

Mid month it did slow down but there still was some awesome activity where ever there were does. On normal years I believe the big bucks do rest a bit after the peak and start to wander hard on or about the 20th but not this year.

My theory on this was the low doe activity. They didn't have to browse much during the day as it was warm enough that they were not burning calories just to stay warm. They instinctively preserve fat when possible with low activity. This of course makes them very easy for a buck to locate as they are hanging around bedding areas all day. Bedding areas are generally hard to hunt as they are in thick protected areas.
Too mess with your findings just a bit

I hunt what I would say are 3 different main areas and the timing is actually slightly different between all three but each area has slightly different factors

So area 1 it opens earlier it gets pressured earlier by hunters. It also doesn’t have supplemental tags so come November hunters shift their pressure to the other WMU with supplemental tags. The section I hunt also lacks open areas and is a pain for me to find good locations to even hunt with a stand. The area has very healthy doe numbers do to lack of supplemental tags. The area also has more older age class bucks do to the difficult bush to hunt and the factor hunting pressure is lower in November when bucks are more susceptible to hunters

So what I have noticed this area kicks off heavy first say last few days of October till about the 15th. Now what I have noticed is somewhere between say the 14th-25th almost all mature bucks slow right down to about an 10th of previous action. You also see a big increase in small buck movement during this time. But after the 25th a portion of the mature bucks appear again but bucks I scouted show up randomly in different areas vs sticking to core areas. I also find the bucks here are less aggressive

Area 2 is within the Supplemental WMU and is really a a handful of small pockets outside of areas that are heavily hunted. A lot of these areas are mostly does and small bucks early in the year. These pockets don’t really see any mature bucks till the 10th and the activity increases as the season progresses. As the rut progresses this area becomes about 3/4 bucks to does. Theses bucks are far more aggressive. As they areas surrounding theses pockets see more road hunting pressure more and more bucks push into theses pockets. There is no pause in activity like I mentioned in area 1. There is less bucks in that upper age class and over the last 5 years there has only been a handful of bucks that would break 160”. Overall it’s an area that the action doesn’t die once it starts but it starts later. My opinion it’s the lack of does that cause these bucks to roam more and the hunting pressure pushes them too me. To key in on bucks here early or one buck you get on cam is a waste of time.

The herd make up and hunting pressure creates very different hunt and bucks that act different

Area 3 is a series of pockets that are limited access that see little to no pressure. These are very high numbers areas with pretty even buck to doe ratio. They are parts of very large tacks of bush. There is a very good mix of age classes. This area acts more like area 1. It kicks off a little earlier scrape wise though. The area never hits a crazy stage but more just steady from late October on. Big mature bucks will definitely pick home ranges and say 4-5 year olds are more transient. There is still exceptions. The late roaming phase is not near as noticeable and there isn’t a noticeable lockdown. They are less competitive than area 2 but more competitive than area 1. Daylight movement is far more common too. Predators are more of a factor pushing things around

Theses are probably more likely more like natural do to lack of human traffic and hunting pressure

Overall what I have come to the conclusion is human traffic, hunting pressure, age class population, and doe to buck ratios all have an impact on what you will experience for timing and movement

There is a slight variation in activity even within pockets not far from each other.

In the last 2 seasons I have really started to key in on what I have figured out about the timing/different habits of the deer in these pockets. I have locations set up throughout all theses areas and shift to keep the action going rather than riding out the low period in a location. Realizing the above information about the areas I hunt was a game changer

Overall things are more complicated than most realize and you really need to learn the deer herds they hunt through scouting to figure out timing
Old 12-07-2023, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvsask View Post
I've never regretted a pass, if winter kills one I hoped would grow, so be it. If someone else kills one, so be it. I once killed a 235" whitetail that I passed as a 190 because he went from 150 to 190.

I enjoy reading threads like this, feel like I could ramble for days on many things posted. Every area is different, every deer is different. Both my boys killed real nice whites this year, one was absolutely covered in fat, likely hadn't chased much, the other didn't wear and ounce of it, had a busted jaw and knocked out teeth and was likely the buck responsible for so many busted tines and beams in the small area he ran does like a chuckwagon horse.
How close in days were the 2 bucks killed?

I’ve always thought/believed that some deer are unique in behaviour as I’ve seen it with my own eyes.I saw the same buck one year come out every evening with its ears back and try to ass poke every other deer in the field and I saw a doe one year kicking other deer in the field...really mean individual’s...lol

From deer habits/activity I’ve seen over the years I swear some bucks don’t even rut and breed..I don’t know if they are infertile,lazy,to old,have mechanical issues with there junk...lol...maybe the one you guys got with all the fat was one of them.
Old 12-07-2023, 10:13 AM

Quote:
How close in days were the 2 bucks killed?

I’ve always thought/believed that some deer are unique in behaviour as I’ve seen it with my own eyes.I saw the same buck one year come out every evening with its ears back and try to ass poke every other deer in the field and I saw a doe one year kicking other deer in the field...really mean individual’s...lol

From deer habits/activity I’ve seen over the years I swear some bucks don’t even rut and breed..I don’t know if they are infertile,lazy,to old,have mechanical issues with there junk...lol...maybe the one you guys got with all the fat was one of them.
Completely agree with everything you just wrote and I have definitely seen different personalities. Nothing with deer is the same across the population

I also agree some bucks don’t seem to care about breeding. Some seem very focused on self preservation as a priority rut or not. Others are well just different or maybe as politically incorrect as it might sound gay for all I know but they definitely lack drive. Some are also very shy and seem to avoid conflict

There definitely is a difference in drive and some bucks don’t seem to roam at all. My theory is they have lower sex drive and just breed the does close by

Exceptions do every theory and observations are out there
Old 12-07-2023, 10:45 AM

How far do you think these mature bucks are travelling? Killed a 176” this year and had velvet pics of him 14km away as crow flies. Solid bush deer.
Old 12-07-2023, 10:55 AM

When I miss I call it a pass....

"You missed old man"

"No I didnt. I put that bullet right behind his arse like I planned. Nice to know my gun is right on the money"