Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-14-2013, 07:59 PM

Default Upper Highwood or Sheep .... is there life?

Drove up the Highwood Valley west of Longview today and saw a number of vehicles along the river entrances. We too tried and after a few casts of the fly were resigned to the possibility the trout were either clubbed to death by flotsam or may be swimming happily somewhere in the Hudson's Bay by now. Judging by the high water marks, it may not be unreasonable to estimate the river was 15 feet higher in the Highwood gorge. Curious whether anyone has had any success anywhere on the Highwood or Sheep since the flood? It would be reassuring to learn that there is somewhat of a population still residing somewhere in these rivers. Any reports?

Last edited by Spisherman; 07-14-2013 at 08:07 PM.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:46 PM

sheep is fine but fast the tribs are clear and fishing well. But crossing the river some places is a little intense.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:47 PM

No nothing left, fishing is done for the year, best stay home.

Thomas Sowell
Old 07-14-2013, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Oh yes thats what I ment disregard my last post stay home nothing to see here.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I guess expecting sincerity in a response is unreasonable? Did not ask for locations as I have fished both these rivers for the past 40 years and am well versed of the location of the "spots".
Old 07-14-2013, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spisherman View Post
I guess expecting sincerity in a response is unreasonable? Did not ask for locations as I have fished both these rivers for the past 40 years and am well versed of the location of the "spots".
Hmm... 40 years experience and your asking about fish? Get out and try it, could be fun.

Thomas Sowell
Old 07-14-2013, 09:14 PM

Umm, this is a fishing forum is it not? The rivers have experienced catastrophic water levels and your trite response to a reasonable question is ridiculous and dismissive. I seem to have had the misfortune of bumping into that "guy" who lurks in forums. Never mind, you're right .... I will try more fishing and encourage you to read a book on etiquette in the light of your omnipresence.

Any "real" reports from anyone who has concern about these fisheries?
Old 07-14-2013, 09:38 PM

The Bow is fishing well, I would imagine that the high wood can't be too far behind
Old 07-14-2013, 09:39 PM

Smile

Well said Spisherman ....... well said.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:58 PM

I can see how the Bow River could offer safe pools for the fish to shelter out the storm but other than the deep pools found in the gorges of the Highwood and Sheep, these two rivers must have been scoured. I have never seen such devastation along these two rivers. I recall having a conversation about Bull Trout habitat with Jim Stelfox years ago and how they had adapted to the washouts experienced in freestone rivers of our Eastern Slopes watershed. This was substantially more than a washout. One of the bridges out by Eden Valley was torn out and the I-Beams were twisted and strewn down river. I'd imagine the lucky fish were simply washed downstream but many of them must have been battered against the banks and such. I guess time will tell but this level of carnage makes me shudder at the possibility the population was pummeled.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:15 PM

A healthy brown buck caught yesterday from near the confluence.

I'm sure that healthy fish survived quite well, elderly and sick fish might not have fared so well. I wouldn't be too worried, but it may take some time before the pools of the Highwood and Sheep hold the same amounts of fish as they did previous to the flood.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:21 PM

Nice fish. If you look closely, you can see where the chin straps were from the helmet it must have been wearing. Thanks for posting!
Old 07-14-2013, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Umm, this is a fishing forum is it not? The rivers have experienced catastrophic water levels and your trite response to a reasonable question is ridiculous and dismissive. I seem to have had the misfortune of bumping into that "guy" who lurks in forums. Never mind, you're right .... I will try more fishing and encourage you to read a book on etiquette in the light of your omnipresence.

Yes, i posted a report not to far up from your post on the sheep. I fished right at sandy mcnabb maybe 1/2 a km up and down from the campground and up some streams that were clear. Streamers in the main river and drys in the streams. There are fish, they seem to be just as fishable as normal during run off. and the streams are fishing normal on dries for cutts. I wouldnt be suprised if higher up the sheep is pretty similiar to past years.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:18 PM

upper sheep had no sign of life today
Old 07-15-2013, 08:12 AM

Default Stay off the bank

I work on a stretch of the sheep....bank is iffy ,sink holes ,
Unstable. Be careful ....you can drown in mud too.

Lighten up and this should be on the FF forum.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:40 PM

I fished a stream that got hammered by the flood 2 weekends in a row now and hooked into fish like the flood never happened. However, the trout are tight to the banks. Get out, fish, and have fun. Fish have been enduring floods for millions of years
Old 07-15-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:

You lazy, good-for-nothing, have-the other-guy-do the-legwork.....

Just kidding. LOL I fished with the old flyrod very close to you yesterday morning, Highwood west of Longview. Not a single bite, Nada. But then I get Nada plenty of times. LOL Still murky but not muddy, running fast. The river has also changed significantly, gravel bars moved, pools gone, new riffles. Will have to relearn my favourite spots.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
You lazy, good-for-nothing, have-the other-guy-do the-legwork.....

Just kidding. LOL I fished with the old flyrod very close to you yesterday morning, Highwood west of Longview. Not a single bite, Nada. But then I get Nada plenty of times. LOL Still murky but not muddy, running fast. The river has also changed significantly, gravel bars moved, pools gone, new riffles. Will have to relearn my favourite spots.
I looked really hard to find trout but was disappointed to find a few gold nuggets that were unearthed. Damn disappointing but I guess a few nuggets will have to suffice in lieu of trout. Geesh. ;-).
Old 07-15-2013, 04:14 PM

Was nailing cutthroat on sat Sunday was much slower in the highwood system
Old 07-15-2013, 08:09 PM
Banned

40 years experience and you aren't sure if fish survived a flood? this isn't the first one, and wont be the last. fish have gills to breathe underwater and they swim fairly well....some of this years young may be lost, but overall they will be fine.