Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-08-2013, 05:00 PM

Default red sores on Pike

I have been seeing an increased occurrence of, what I believe to be is, Pseudomonas hydrophila, which looks like red sores and/or raw open sores on many Northern Pike, particularly at Wabamun lake this year. You can sometimes see evidence of this on fins and along the torso of the fish.

Be reminded that this is a naturally occurring bacteria that is not uncommon, however, precautions should be used when handling these infected fish (nets, hands, gloves and surfaces of your boat that have come in contact with effected fish) should be carefully washed and dried.

This bacteria spreads easily so avoid handling these fish too much and do not use the same equipment (if possible) to handle healthy fish as this bacteria will spread.

It is not dangerous to humans or non-fish species.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:44 PM

I have caught a couple myself that have appeared to have that, a couple smaller ones under 20", at wabamun, around the fallis area.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:20 PM

Caught a big girl out of north wabasca that had several sores. Didnt seem to affect her stamina. Put up a good fight and seemed healthy. Thanks for the info!
Old 07-08-2013, 10:20 PM

Great post EZM.

I have not seen an increase, but I have encountered several infected fish this year. Reminding everyone to treat this as it is - an infection - will aid in slowing the spread.

Thank you for posting!
Old 07-08-2013, 10:53 PM

Actually the pathogen your referring to EZM is now called Aeromonas hydrophilia and it is a pathogen for all species of life around water and that would include humans. Hence, why they do not recommend the consumption of fish infected with it. Hand washing is always a good thing.

This is not to be confused with Pike Lymphosarcoma which is thought to be virally caused and not contagious to humans or other animals.
http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...48705608,d.cGE

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...48705608,d.cGE
Old 07-08-2013, 11:21 PM

Thanks for the additional information Cube.

I sent Stephen (local area bio) an email this afternoon indicating there was definitely a outbreak this year.

I have been out quite a bit this year already on Wab and I'd say approximately 15% of the fish we caught, had some form of this bacteria.

We probably have caught 400-450 pike this year, at Wab, and it seems to occur in fish ranging from 2.5 lbs to about 4-5 lbs exclusively (predominantly I assume). I assume these are juvenile females or mature male pike predominantly.

Of the 50 or so "larger pike" (say above 6-7 lbs up to 20lbs or so) there have been zero infections noted. The same is true of the 50 or so smaller ones (under 2.5lbs or so).

Hopefully this clears up on it's own ........ they are certainly gross to look at.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Hopefully this clears up on it's own ........ they are certainly gross to look at.
Yes indeed they are very gross to look at. You generally find this condition the worst when the water is cold and after the spawn then generally gets better as water temps rise and the fish start feeding again.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:40 AM

I wonder if this is the same thing they have at cow lake by Rocky? I've never seen them just the signs they have up there.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitefishLady View Post
I wonder if this is the same thing they have at cow lake by Rocky? I've never seen them just the signs they have up there.
Those pic's were from Cow Lake
Old 07-09-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:

I sent Stephen (local area bio) an email this afternoon indicating there was definitely a outbreak this year.

I have been out quite a bit this year already on Wab and I'd say approximately 15% of the fish we caught, had some form of this bacteria.

We probably have caught 400-450 pike this year, at Wab, and it seems to occur in fish ranging from 2.5 lbs to about 4-5 lbs exclusively (predominantly I assume). I assume these are juvenile females or mature male pike predominantly.

Of the 50 or so "larger pike" (say above 6-7 lbs up to 20lbs or so) there have been zero infections noted. The same is true of the 50 or so smaller ones (under 2.5lbs or so).

On that 6 lber I caught while out with you, it had a little sore on its side. I remember touching it when taking pictures. You can barely see it in the pics but its there.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:36 PM

Quote:

Just got back from wab today. Spent nine days there camping with the family. Caught a couple hundred pike and noticed the same thing, anything we caught over five pounds or no had no sores.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:20 AM

I got an email back from the local Bio (Stephen) out of Spruce grove. He was interesting in getting some pictures.

I have not asked for his permission to post his e-mail on this site but his information is public.

Sounds like they are planning a study later this year on Wabamun (assume it's unrelated to this issue).

If we can help him out - please post pictures here and I can direct him to this website or alternately feel free to send it to him ....... he is listed on the SRD website as the area biologist.

It might be helpful to keep a rough tally of how many pike caught, how many had these sores, snap a pic or two, and estimate a rough size maybe.

I'm guessing 15% of the mid sized pike are effected - which seems like a higher number than I have seen before.

It is a natural bacteria, and most likely nothing to be alarmed about, but, nevertheless, any info we can help out with I'm sure will be appreciated.

Thanks Y'all
Old 07-10-2013, 08:36 AM

I didn't take any pictures so I wont be able to help on that front. 15% seems a little higher than what I experienced, but for sure a solid 10% had the sores. Sure didnt seem to affect their appetite.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:10 AM
Banned

Default Thanks for the info

Was at Wab on Mon, caught a few with these sores, thought they were attacked by bigger pike. Good to know on the handling.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:56 AM

When i was out at wab on sunday when we seen you ezm we too caught one out of all of the fish we caught had this wound aswell and fits the bill for size too. luckily never even touched it. I had it in the net and had grabbed the hook with pliers to remove it from its lip and when it shok itself the hook came out and back home it went. first ive seen any year at wab.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:20 PM

Thanks for the info I have often wondered what this was. I have seen pike with it in wab, mayatan, and up at cross last winter. My tackle box and gear is getting a bath tonight lol.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:51 AM

Sent the area Bio some pictures today from out Saturday outing.

Still seeing it in fish in the 20"-30" size only. wierd.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:56 PM

We caught a bunch of rainbows up at Fairfax with something also. Got about 8 or 9 of them that had the same thing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sick rainbow.jpg (42.9 KB, 45 views)