Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-15-2013, 10:29 PM

Exclamation BPS telling customers AB is all C&R and Bait ban. False info!

So I was grabbing some tackle today at Bass Pros and the cashier asks me if I've heard about the latest regulation change. She says she went on her lunch break and came back less then an hour ago and this notice was on her till. She was told to tell it to anyone buying fishing gear.

I don't remember it word for word, but it essentially said that all of alberta is now Catch and Release only and a provice wide bait ban, including scented artificials.

I kinda didn't know what to think with around $80 worth of scented soft baits at the till, but I wasn't convinced enough to not buy them, yet not skeptical to believe its wrong. I'd assume thier telling customers so they don't feel stooped by buying tackle they can't use for a year, which is good business.

I would also assume this has something to do with the floods, but Province wide doesn't seem like a "flood related cause". Perhaps those in the know have seen an immediate need to relieve some pressure of the fish, perhaps due to the winter we had. I'm not sure, but based on my 6 or 7 trips out the fish population seemed to be ok, yet that's hardly scientific.

Anyone else heard about this and can offer some insight. I'm sure it will be the topic of the board here in a day or two, and somewhat surprised I didn't see it discussed already. If it has and I just missed it, my apologies.

Certainly changes my plans for the remainder of the summer, not to mention makes my 3 Walleye draw applications a waste of money. I feel we should be reimbursed for that, if they need to change the rules during the season.

I mean you cant sell applications for draws, and even tags that didn't get used and then say you cant use them and not give the payments back IMO.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:39 PM

really thats a little bit messed up they better not or the pike population is in trouble i guess if this is so my fly rods gonna be getting some extra miles on it
Old 07-15-2013, 10:43 PM

I think you've been mislead.

Thomas Sowell
Old 07-15-2013, 10:47 PM

Makes no sense. And they would certainly put something on their web site, no? http://srd.alberta.ca/FishWildlife/Default.aspx
Somebody is pulling somebody's leg.

That said, I wouldn't be shocked if the Bow watershed (and others) went to zero and had an early closure until they can assess.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:47 PM

Not quite.....

She was flapping without knowing....

Alberta’s anglers asked to assist with post-flood recovery of fish populations

In the wake of the recent flooding in southern Alberta, anglers have an important role to play in conserving our fish. The flooding and the work currently taking place to speed recovery will likely cause stress to Alberta’s fish populations. While it’s still too soon to measure the effects of the flood on native fish, particularly species at risk, some fish mortality is expected.

To facilitate the rapid recovery of fish populations affected by the flooding, ESRD is asking anglers to voluntarily release all fish caught from certain flowing waters for the remainder of the 2013/14 fishing season. This request applies to:
· All flowing waters in Management Area ES1

· All flowing waters in Management Area ES2 upstream of the Forestry Trunk Road

· In Management Area PP1:

o Bow River from Highway 24 downstream to Highway 36

o Oldman River from Secondary Rd. 509 downstream to Highway 36

· In Management Area PP2, the Red Deer River from Dickson Dam downstream to Highway 27

In order to reduce injury to hooked fish, anglers are also asked to avoid the use of all bait (including maggots) in the specified waters.

Please refer to the 2013 Alberta Guide to Sportfishing Regulations for maps of the management areas.

Reducing further mortality of fish is very important to the recovery of fish populations. It will ensure as many fish as possible can survive to spawn again.

The support of anglers in this challenging time will help ensure Alberta’s fisheries are sustained and thrive into the future.

Please check out the My Wild Alberta Facebook page for any additional information on how you can help our wildlife recover from this disaster. http:////www.facebook.com/MyWildAlberta?fref=ts

LC
Old 07-15-2013, 11:00 PM

^^^ that is what she saw.

I hope she didn't tell to many people that.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:01 PM

Well whats odd is that there is no information on any goverment, or any other website for that matter. I would find it odd that Alberta ESRD notifying Bass Pros first, a day ahead of letting the rest of the province know.

Yet I seen the "notice" and it was all typed out and sounded fairly official. I can't see Bass Pro's management "misleading" customers intentionally, and would be surprised if they mislead customers unintentionally.

Yet I admit it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense, in more ways then one. I was going to ask her if I could read it again, but there was another customer in line and I didn't want to "hold up the show".

If I don't see something official tomorrow, I'll call my local ESRD office and ask someone, then call BPS and find out what the deal is.

I do know how I read it, and how she read it aloud it wasn't about any specific region or area, it was "Province Wide", C&R and Bait Ban.

Since there's no official word, I wouldn't change any plans if I was heading out right away. And even then, unless they post notices all over the place, I'm not sure what the precedent would be to enforce it. I mean your obligation is to read the current years Regulation, and obey them. It says nothing about checking Government websites right before you head out, or call an ESRD office.

Maybe the cashier confused a BPS plea to its customers to C&R and Bait Ban, for official regulations, although she read it aloud and it didn't say anything like "please", it was very official and direct, like a regulation booklet.

I dunno. I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, and feel free to dismiss it, just wanted to share and know if I'm the only one who's heard of this yet.

All I know is she read a MEMO by management or an official regulatory 'group'? She read it word for word, and she didn't get anything wrong or mistaken. Obviously whoever typed it out could have goofed, and it wasn't enough to convince me either, so I'm not trying to convince others its fact.

Last edited by PlayDoh; 07-15-2013 at 11:08 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:10 PM

This thread was started by the ESRD about this topic

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=184704
Old 07-15-2013, 11:14 PM

Think I will play it safe and fish accordingly to the regs...
Old 07-15-2013, 11:18 PM

ya, it definitely sounds like someone at BPS wrote their own version, with their head up their *****, cause it was nothing like the ESRD official memo. No "assist" or "voluntarily" or "request" words used. Neither any specific areas.
WoW, surprised BPS messed up that bad, yet I suppose their pretty detached from the 'real world'. I asked the guy at the hunting department about a Bow-Saw and he looked like I asked for a flux-capacitor. 8-)
Old 07-16-2013, 12:10 AM

Can you please edit the title of your original post to add something like "false alarm" or "Bass Pro Screwup"? It could do more harm than good as it is. I can't believe those twits got the message so wrong.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:12 AM

Ya... zero chance that is true. And if it turns out to be true, I'll eat my running shoes and post the vid on here.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Not quite.....

She was flapping without knowing....

Please check out the My Wild Alberta Facebook page for any additional information on how you can help our wildlife recover from this disaster. http:////www.facebook.com/MyWildAlberta?fref=ts

LC

That would pretty much sum things up.

Very politely put, LC. I had to quote you because I would have been a little more harsh in my words!

http://youtu.be/ZLDzPH-cBhw
Old 07-16-2013, 09:41 AM

wind drift, I wish I could, but can't seem to. I actually intended on there being a question mark at the end, not sure why it didn't get there, either I didn't hit the key, or it was too long.

I actually tried to delete the whole thread, and if a moderator could, please do. I just never imagined BPS would tell their customers something unverified and completely wrong.

My apologies, and certainly not my intentions to try and convince people this was true, despite the misleading thread title. Again, my bad.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:48 AM

Note also that the new C&R request is just that, a request, voluntary. They can't really change the regulations until next year when they would publish new ones... unless they posted the particular body of water like crazy, but even then.... Still, makes sense to follow the request for the sake of the fishery. Are they also requesting barbless? Didn't see it mentioned.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:09 AM

There's a lot of stuff that certain staff at Bass Pro pass on thats misleading.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:05 AM

Hoax

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Still, makes sense to follow the request for the sake of the fishery. Are they also requesting barbless? Didn't see it mentioned.
Don't know if they'd mentioned the use of barbless with this released statement, but they have requested in the past that people voluntarily continue using barbless.

from the 2013 regs (emphasis mine):
In 2012, during an amendment of the Alberta Fishery Regulations, 1998, the Federal government inadvertently removed the provision prohibiting the use of barbed hooks. This rendered the barbless-only requirement when angling in Alberta unenforceable. The intent is to restore the legislation at the earliest opportunity. Until this occurs, anglers are asked to continue to voluntarily comply with the spirit and intent of the barbless-only regulation and refrain from the use of barbed hooks
Old 07-16-2013, 11:13 AM

LC has the one posted.

There is no bait ban or cr only.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:53 PM

was just at bps, the notice posted does say voluntary.... it is the same notice the ESRD posted here a few days ago.

Quit over reacting people
Old 07-16-2013, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great White Hype View Post
was just at bps, the notice posted does say voluntary.... it is the same notice the ESRD posted here a few days ago.

Quit over reacting people
Well I'd imagine its been corrected, once they realized their mistake. I don't think anyone is over reacting, the notice I was read and briefly looked at wasn't anything like the ESRD notice. I read the ESRD less then 2 hours after being read the one at BPS.

Non-the-less what I was told was incorrect, and I'm glad they've changed it cause it caused me concern. Yet I was smart enough not to completely believe it, which I'm sure most people would've done also.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:18 PM

BPS is doing their part by trying to inform people about what can happen to fish populations after this devastating flood. The information they have posted is valid, and due to the fact that most of their customers are new to fishing, you should be happy that they are trying to help. The notice they have posted reads exactly like the one on the sticky at the top of the Fishing Forum page, and exactly like the one posted on this link http://aesrd.wordpress.com/2013/07/1...albertas-fish/ .

I struggle to understand why there are so many people on this forum continue to make a big deal out of the smallest things.

---------

Just do your part, and listen to what the SRD are asking of the public. Release your fish, don't use bait.

Maybe think that she read it wrong, and was just trying to help, a cashier is not an authority on all things fishing. But if she was i bet she would tell you to go out, fish with barbed hooks, bait, gaff hooks, netting and you should keep everything....
Old 07-16-2013, 03:18 PM

Thanks PlayDoh!
Old 07-16-2013, 03:39 PM

Quote:
BPS is doing their part by trying to inform people about what can happen to fish populations after this devastating flood. The information they have posted is valid, and due to the fact that most of their customers are new to fishing, you should be happy that they are trying to help. The notice they have posted reads exactly like the one on the sticky at the top of the Fishing Forum page, and exactly like the one posted on this link http://aesrd.wordpress.com/2013/07/1...albertas-fish/ .

I struggle to understand why there are so many people on this forum continue to make a big deal out of the smallest things.

---------

Just do your part, and listen to what the SRD are asking of the public. Release your fish, don't use bait.

Maybe think that she read it wrong, and was just trying to help, a cashier is not an authority on all things fishing. But if she was i bet she would tell you to go out, fish with barbed hooks, bait, gaff hooks, netting and you should keep everything....
Dude, nobody is making a big deal out of it. Just because what you saw posted today doesn't change what I seen yesterday. The cashier didn't write or edit the notice, and its pretty ignorant to assume she would tell you anything incorrect. You shouldn't judge people by their gender and job.

If you actually read my posts you would see that I agree that BPS intentions were noble, and I'm certainly not upset about the fact that they got it wrong yesterday. I will use my own judgement as to how I fish, and the SRD isnt asking people to C&R and don't use bait, their asking you to do so on the specif areas effected by the flood.

Get off your soap box and stop pointing fingers, & exaggerating things.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayDoh View Post
Dude, nobody is making a big deal out of it. Just because what you saw posted today doesn't change what I seen yesterday. The cashier didn't write or edit the notice, and its pretty ignorant to assume she would tell you anything incorrect. You shouldn't judge people by their gender and job.

If you actually read my posts you would see that I agree that BPS intentions were noble, and I'm certainly not upset about the fact that they got it wrong yesterday. I will use my own judgement as to how I fish, and the SRD isnt asking people to C&R and don't use bait, their asking you to do so on the specif areas effected by the flood.

Get off your soap box and stop pointing fingers, & exaggerating things.
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=184611 is this the notice you saw?
Old 07-16-2013, 03:49 PM

Not at all, it was written by BPS, no Goverment letterhead or official stamp. It made no mention of Voluntary or specific areas, didn't even have the word flood in it. She asked me if I heard the new "Regulations", then read it out in front of me, and I was scanning it as she read it.

It was a blunder by someone, nuff said. It said that all of AB was C&R and a province wide bait ban. She said it was just handed to her less then an hour ago, so I did give it some merit.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:
But if she was i bet she would tell you to go out, fish with barbed hooks, bait, gaff hooks, netting and you should keep everything....

I agree what was asked was for a good thing, though the way it seemed to be communicated at the store I'd be confused too, but I love shopping there, thanks for the heads up on the info to help clarify things

Last edited by Cgy.girl; 07-16-2013 at 04:28 PM.