Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-12-2017, 11:50 PM
Banned

Default Native net fishing?

Hey guys, I'm wondering if anyone can tell me whether or not a treaty status is allowed to fish with nets? I have a friend who has been a city boy all his life and is just now starting to enjoy the great outdoors, but he has no idea what his status allows him to do, and neither do I, I know the regs for myself, but I'm not native. And he's a bit shy about asking questions, if anyone could point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it. Thanks guys.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:09 AM

Default Net fishing

So u want to set a net for your buddy. Get him to call SRD and he'll get a permit number and they'll tell him which lake and what size and that he is allowed to use keep in mind you can not fish with him while he is netting nor can he gift u any fish somebody.Xchime in if I am wrong
Old 01-13-2017, 06:19 AM

How about buying a licence and following the regs if hes looking to enjoy the great outdoors!
Old 01-13-2017, 06:47 AM

No kidding. Can't believe you'd ask that question. This is Alberta Outdoorsman. Our lakes are in bad enough shape. Sheesh.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
Old 01-13-2017, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Predator View Post
How about buying a licence and following the regs if hes looking to enjoy the great outdoors!
I think by the OP question he is trying to follow the regs according to his status.

Mack
Old 01-13-2017, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnschmidt View Post
Hey guys, I'm wondering if anyone can tell me whether or not a treaty status is allowed to fish with nets? I have a friend who has been a city boy all his life and is just now starting to enjoy the great outdoors, but he has no idea what his status allows him to do, and neither do I, I know the regs for myself, but I'm not native. And he's a bit shy about asking questions, if anyone could point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it. Thanks guys.
Does your buddy's enjoyment of the outdoors hang in the balance of whether he catches 20 or 30 in a net or a couple on a rod and reel???
Old 01-13-2017, 09:37 AM
Banned

Thanks for the info guys, I will pass it along, he went hunting for the first time and really enjoyed himself, (he has yet to kill anything though) not sure if he will ever buy a net or not, but he's curious about the regulations.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the info guys, I will pass it along, he went hunting for the first time and really enjoyed himself, (he has yet to kill anything though) not sure if he will ever buy a net or not, but he's curious about the regulations.
Good to see he is concerned about the regs. Hope he gets his first kill.

Mack
Old 01-13-2017, 04:52 PM

It's in the regs !! Doesn't need a lisence, but must follow all other fishing regs.
Old 01-13-2017, 05:25 PM

If he's fishing with a rod he has ro follow the same regs as everyone else. If he wants to net fish then he must go to fish and wildlife and apply for a number so they know who's net it is. The fish cops will tell you what size of net you have to use and they need to keep track of which lake you are netting. You can only net 1 lake at a time, if you want to go to a different lake you must go in and inform them again which lake you are going to next.

Anything thing caught in the net is yours regardless of size. But best bet is to ask the fish cops directly, they have the most updated info
Old 01-13-2017, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Predator View Post
X2
Old 01-14-2017, 02:28 AM

Suggest to your friend fish are a lot more fun to catch with a rod & reel
Old 01-14-2017, 02:50 AM

No experience with treaty; Metis need to abide by depth restrictions, and net size restrictions, as stated on Permit. Also, 100 yards from tributary inlets. Also, within 100 miles of Home Reservation.

Nets set in even shallow depth, according to my real life experience, will catch 50%whitefish, 30% suckers, 10% Burbot, 9% game fish, and 1% tuliby (have pulled them out myself). Lakes need to have Burbot and white fish levels controlled to allow games fish to succeed.

Also, there is a single non-permit holder allowed to assist directly, and fish can only be gifted to immediate family.

Last edited by catnthehat; 01-14-2017 at 07:49 PM.
Old 01-14-2017, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erickson6111 View Post
No experience with treaty; Metis need to abide by depth restrictions, and net size restrictions, as stated on Permit. Also, 100 yards from tributary inlets. Also, within 100 miles of Home Reservation.

. Nets set in even shallow depth, according to my real life experience, will catch 50%whitefish, 30% suckers, 10% Burbot, 9% game fish, and 1% tuliby (have pulled them out myself). Lakes need to have Burbot and white fish levels controlled to allow games fish to succeed.

Also, there is a single non-permit holder allowed to assist directly, and fish can only be gifted to immediate family.
I have no problem with whatever method someone uses to fill a freezer. Just don't be greedy, and don't keep at it just because there is a relative somewhere that still has a corner of a deep freezer unfilled.

Do it sustainably. Filling nets with salmon spawning just doesn't keep enough fish left to propagate. My sister discovered her roots some years back, and seemed pretty proud of her and/or boyfriend killing a dozen moose in a year. Nevermind that a citizen of any other ancestry would have to wait 4 years for the opportunity. Plenty of other game to pick from and preserve a way of life; but to call someone a "sustenance hunter" in Canada is a misnomer. Lot's of people could use the extra meat from a wild kill, regardless of skin colour. But nobody is really going to starve, here.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!

Last edited by catnthehat; 01-14-2017 at 07:49 PM.
Old 01-14-2017, 05:52 AM
Banned

Thanks for all the info guys, Erickson your input about the distance from his home is very good to know, do you know if that distance also applies to hunting? I go bow hunting for bears up north in spring, and that would be over 300 miles from his home.
Old 01-14-2017, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Thanks for all the info guys, Erickson your input about the distance from his home is very good to know, do you know if that distance also applies to hunting? I go bow hunting for bears up north in spring, and that would be over 300 miles from his home.
Erickson was referring to metis rights. They have to have a home reservation and their hunting rights are within a certain distance of that reservation (not his actual house in the city).
Old 01-14-2017, 06:15 PM

Exactly, home registered reservation. And treaty could be different, but i don't think that it is. Hunting is still 160kms rule, and for sustanance only. And killing a dozen moose is fine in certain areas; fairness isn't the point, but the smart Indians that actually care about the environment also don't advertise...
Old 01-14-2017, 07:22 PM

Your friend needs to go down a fish and wildlife office and get a permit for status native netting. Forget what it's called as it's been a while.
Ur flags will have ur status or the permit number on it. Once again don't remember.

Amazed at the ignorant comments as well as misinformed. 😂 kidding
Old 01-15-2017, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erickson6111 View Post
Exactly, home registered reservation. And treaty could be different, but i don't think that it is. Hunting is still 160kms rule, and for sustanance only. And killing a dozen moose is fine in certain areas; fairness isn't the point, but the smart Indians that actually care about the environment also don't advertise...
Like I said, in an area where anyone else is waiting for years. Sorry if this is a bit of a derail, but 50 times every one else's limit is goofy. And there is nothing traditional in the methods or the numbers in which they are taken. That's the reason why the numbers are on the low side in the area.

But I suppose it's legal. Meanwhile on AO everyone loses their minds over a long season and filling bag limits on grouse.

Pureblood!
Old 01-15-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post
Like I said, in an area where anyone else is waiting for years. Sorry if this is a bit of a derail, but 50 times every one else's limit is goofy. And there is nothing traditional in the methods or the numbers in which they are taken. That's the reason why the numbers are on the low side in the area.

But I suppose it's legal. Meanwhile on AO everyone loses their minds over a long season and filling bag limits on grouse.

And while you may have observed this, it doesn't mean every treaty is abusing their rights so hard.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackonblackfx4 View Post
And while you may have observed this, it doesn't mean every treaty is abusing their rights so hard.
No, that's very true. Maybe I worded it poorly, but there is some individuals who do so. Might even be a pretty low percentage in some places, but that low percentage of over achievers can bring down the numbers.

It's a shame that the guys (and gals) that take conservative numbers and leave good breeding stock are the ones that suffer for it.

Pureblood!
Old 01-15-2017, 08:09 PM

Nobody needs a freezer full of fish to survive these days. Get your family together drill some holes and follow the regs and keep a few like the rest of us. Four people's limits are more then enough to enjoy for awhile. Then when they're gone go get some more. The hunting opportunities they are offered should fill the freezer. Fish don't keep very long anyway. To allow netting in collapsed or vulnerable lakes is absolutely wrong and it creates hard feelings and racism. Just my two cents.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackonblackfx4 View Post
... it doesn't mean every treaty is abusing their Apartheid rights so hard.

That Canadians still accept the idea that a persons race should determine what rights they have is discouraging but to answer the OP's question.

It depends on enforcement.

Officially there are many rules and regs they "should" be following but in practice no rules may apply other than optics or what gets reported by the media. Since he seems unaware of that he should make some "connections" in the area and find out what is and isn't acceptable or get a license and follow the rules.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:47 AM

As usual, the haters and misinformed piping in. At least there's some guys with their heads on straight.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikanit View Post
As usual, the haters and misinformed piping in. At least there's some guys with their heads on straight.
Who's hating? And if you see some misinformation, why don't you set it straight?

Pureblood!
Old 01-16-2017, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post
Who's hating? And if you see some misinformation, why don't you set it straight?
Naw...already tried that before in the past, and get called bad names and stuff..just tired of people going on about native this and native that. My cousin is moving away from Prince Albert because of racism against her because of her skin, and she's a lovely person. Some people like to jump on you when you're asking a simple question about Native fishing or hunting. Don't even know why I read this post. A guy asks a simple question for his status friend, and the rest is history.
Old 01-16-2017, 04:05 PM

I guess I'm having a bad day folks, no harm intended
Old 01-16-2017, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikanit View Post
Naw...already tried that before in the past, and get called bad names and stuff..just tired of people going on about native this and native that. My cousin is moving away from Prince Albert because of racism against her because of her skin, and she's a lovely person. Some people like to jump on you when you're asking a simple question about Native fishing or hunting. Don't even know why I read this post. A guy asks a simple question for his status friend, and the rest is history.
I can assure you that in the vast majority of comments here that it's not a race thing. If I could tell you a little about myself; my sister is half Carrier, one of my best friends is Dene, an old room mate is full native and a brother in Christ. Another old room mate is Inuit, and I also rented a room on a rez when I was younger. Been on another rez for hand games, though it wasn't my thing. I even had a couple crushes on some pretty Haida girls. Had things worked out a little different, I could have married one.

There is a class distinction that sometimes creates hard feelings among people. I never even thing about it with my good friend. He might take an animal that I couldn't, but not in a crazy way. Heck, if I was able to, I probably would too. But it isn't fair, and it is abused. I don't think there should be a separate group of rules anymore, for anyone.

In the context of the original post, I really don't have a problem with net fishing. Truth be known; it probably is best for a balanced harvest. If someone wants to get enough fish for a few months, why not? Sometimes it's not about sitting out there for days on end to bring back half a dozen fish. Just as long as it's not on a lake that everyone else can't even keep a fish.

Sorry if anyone takes my comments the wrong way. Typical derail.

Pureblood!