Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-15-2013, 03:37 AM

Default Record Breaker!!

I often ponder, wonder, sit still and think...how many record fish are swimming around out there in this beautiful prov we call Alberta?
I wonder most about the dino fish lurking in our rivers. Surely there is a 105+ kicking around. I am convinced a certain AO member's recent catch would have been close had she been plum full o eggs. With the recent(last 2yrs) influx of sturgeon fisherfolk, can't help but think this record could be broken sooner then later?

Other species I think have potential record breakers out there: All Of Them!

Thoughts...?
Old 07-15-2013, 06:16 AM
Banned

Default Hard to say

Well you would think that there would be some record fish here in this province. However what counts as big fish here seems normal in places like Sask and Man lakes. They just don't seem to grow them all that big here.
This province is too over saturated with the cottage industry. Too often the water table is not where it should be. Too much winter and summer kill. Too much green algae during the summer Too many selfish outdoorsmen who keep these big fish for themselves. It's a wonder one has the luck we do when we do go fishing.
There have been some big fish postings here (AO) this year, and they seem to be getting bigger. So there has to be.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:47 AM

Are you talking world records? If so I say very few if any at all our lake fisheries are not set up to be trophy fisheries which is very sad. Along with the amount of catch and keep anglers and even c&r anglers for our bodies of water is not a formula for record size fish imho (I don't fish rivers so I'm not sure about the chances in them but to compete with other river systems such as bc would be hard)
I just hope to be able to break personal bests
Old 07-15-2013, 11:19 AM

There are definitely records out there. I think for sturgeon specifically it will be difficult to prove a new AB record since you cannot harvest the animal. It would be tough to prove the weight through the official channels that are necessary in order to ensure it is a record.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:23 PM
Banned

i think it very unlikley that a world record fish could be caught in alberta but i think some provincial records might be possible. i do enjoy thinking about catching a record for any given year which is very possible.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
i think it very unlikley that a world record fish could be caught in alberta but i think some provincial records might be possible. i do enjoy thinking about catching a record for any given year which is very possible.
They were tagging fish at Crawling Valley a few years back and the guy told me they tagged a 62" pike that was 9" across the shoulder. Big fish.

Also read somewhere that they tagged more than one Walleye at Slave that weighed over 20 lbs.

So yes there are some big fish maybe a world record has already been caught, cleaned and eaten. Who knows.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:32 PM

Yes there could be imo and here are some

Rod and Reel

1. Pike (North American record is attainable) WR line Classes
2. Rocky Mountain Whitefish WR and line Classes
3. Brook Trout WR and Line Classes
4. Bull Trout line Classes
5.Lake Trout WR and line Classes
6. Cutthroat Trout line Classes
7. Sauger WR and line classes
8.Walleye WR and line Classes
9.Goldeye Wr and line Classes
10.Yellow Perch line classes
11.Cisco line Classes
12 White Sucker WR and line Classes
13.Lake Whitefish line Classes

more in Fly Fishing

Food for Thought
David
Old 07-15-2013, 06:46 PM

Meant provincial records but good to know some of ya think/know there are some world recs lurking out there in AB. And I agree, in fact I think most AB records have the potential to be broke. And I also agree some/many recs already likely have indeed been broken and were just never reported/documented.
Good replies, cheers all.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:37 PM

Pike yes they are out there , walleye, I think theres a new record here too. Sturgeon, definitely, much bigger than 105 pounds.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 07-15-2013, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
Pike yes they are out there , walleye, I think theres a new record here too. Sturgeon, definitely, much bigger than 105 pounds.
Would love to see you prove that last one
Old 07-15-2013, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
I'm with you on pike, we nicknamed her pie plate.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:57 PM

I know that 40 pound plus pike have been netted, and FF I also hear rumours of a 130 pounder caught in the last couple years going to have to catch her for myself to prove it . after my 6 footer Im going to start running 80 pound minimum braid I think, dont know how well the 50 pound would have done on that fish. and an extra 30 or 40 pounds on top would be just crazy!

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 07-15-2013, 09:16 PM

There actually are lots of world records to be had in Alberta.
Unfortunately, these records are not so much based on the weight or size of the fish. The world records to be broken are in line class.

Instead of focusing on catching the biggest, try catching a 25 lb. pike on 2 lb. line. Video it for documentation.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
There actually are lots of world records to be had in Alberta.
Unfortunately, these records are not so much based on the weight or size of the fish. The world records to be broken are in line class.

Instead of focusing on catching the biggest, try catching a 25 lb. pike on 2 lb. line. Video it for documentation.
Yep that's a good idea. I was more just curious as to everybody's thoughts on the subject. I'm not really out chasing records of any sort, maybe someday though....
The geeks and specs make it look so easy lol, yeah....right. The amount of devotion they've committed to hunting records is quite something and very cool to see them rewarded. Impressive stuff!
Old 07-15-2013, 11:19 PM

You forgot to mention the affect of netting. I'm no expert but does it not seem very strange that in a lake like Lessor Slave that very seldom does one catch a walleye greater than 55 cms? Many, many that size but to find one bigger is rare. Makes me wonder what is the real cause. as far as I'm concerned nets should be outlawed.