Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-26-2018, 07:27 AM

Default Highway 532

I should know this, but how far, if at all, can you access HWY 532 prior to May long weekend?

Is it locked up right at HWY 22 turnoff?

Can you drive to Willow Creek right now? Indian Graves?

I recall going on a hike a few years ago while there was still alot of snow. Just can't remember how far down the road we got.

Thanks.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 03-26-2018, 07:54 AM

Road is open 365. The locked gate is at sec hyway 940.
Old 03-26-2018, 07:55 AM

Pretty sure they are logging willow creek west of Indian graves so watch for big trucks.
Old 03-26-2018, 10:45 AM

It is usually locked just west of indian grave campground
Old 03-26-2018, 10:51 AM

Are they bringing logs out yet? I haven't been that way since the season ended. If so are they bringing them back via highway 40 then through longview?
Old 03-26-2018, 04:02 PM

Jjolg123 We were out Indian Graves way a week ago to do some snow shoeing & they are coming out of there hot n heavy with logs & have been since the season ended. We were up the Highwood House way as well and the same down that way - coming out of there non-stop with loaded logging trucks. There won't be anything left of 404 by the time they are done...........
Old 03-26-2018, 08:28 PM

Interesting are they still logging the Savannah creek area and coming thru the gap? I knew they were starting the cuts in the etherington areas..
Old 03-29-2018, 07:25 AM

Jjolg123 we were up in the Highwood area roughly four/six weeks ago as we have a bunch of trail cams to check. Way too much snow up there to even snow shoe in! They were just starting to cut along the main highway between Gunnery and the helicopter landing/cabin spot on the south side by river (by the trappers cabin). We drove down to Cataract & the logging trucks were coming out one after the other. Have no idea where from though? For Indian Graves - we hunted there all last season on 404 side and 308 side and I was out there on the last day of the season trying to fill my tag <sigh>. They started logging the 404 side just after opening (Sept. 24th) and began at the Indian Graves campground entry. In Nov. they started another cut farther up towards Bear Pond. As stated above - we were out snow shoeing (headed down the road where the gates are closed at the staging area) and we could hear the trees in the far distance being buzzed. I should say on our way in - truck after truck loaded with logs passed us and same on the way out. We are headed out to Highwood - Indian Graves and Dutch Creek this weekend to check things out so will post any new findings. You know, I am all for logging but it sure sucks when you've spent almost the last ten years scouting - getting your hunting spots picked out and then wham - in a heart beat they are gone and you're left with starting from scratch again - ugh!!!!!!!