Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-21-2012, 09:00 PM
Banned

Default Had another weird call today

So I was selling my no 4 mark 1 on the bargain finder. Today I got a call from someone that went like this.
Caller "Hi do you still have the rifle"
Me "Yes I do"
Caller " You're selling it for $200 right?"
Me "Yes"
Caller "I am looking for a present for my dad. I don't have an FAC can I still buy it?"
Me "No I will only sell it to people with PAL"
Caller "What if I paid you $300 instead".
Me "Sorry bud that's illegal".
Caller " What would happen if you did sell it to me"
Me " Jail time for the both of us"
Caller "Well I guess I'll just call someone else"

I just sat there thinking what the hell to myself. I know the registry is gone but I'm not about to participate in the illegal gun trade lol.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:15 PM

If its a present for his Dad, he can get his Dads PAL # for you to call in and confirm and then have Dad pick it up from you after sonny's paid up. It's hard to keep things a surprise that way, but if he wants to surprise Dad, he can get his own darned PAL and buy whatever the heck he wants for him.

I recall when I was newb to CGN I had someone PM me feeling me out about comments that I had made in one thread about going to a gun show in Texas. Buddy was either trying to get tips on purchasing down there or to see if I would fess up to having made some unlawful gun purchases down there (I had not, but I'll confess thoughts to the effect crossed my mind)
Old 05-21-2012, 10:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerb View Post
So I was selling my no 4 mark 1 on the bargain finder. Today I got a call from someone that went like this.
Caller "Hi do you still have the rifle"
Me "Yes I do"
Caller " You're selling it for $200 right?"
Me "Yes"
Caller "I am looking for a present for my dad. I don't have an FAC can I still buy it?"
Me "No I will only sell it to people with PAL"
Caller "What if I paid you $300 instead".
Me "Sorry bud that's illegal".
Caller " What would happen if you did sell it to me"
Me " Jail time for the both of us"
Caller "Well I guess I'll just call someone else"

I just sat there thinking what the hell to myself. I know the registry is gone but I'm not about to participate in the illegal gun trade lol.
I guess he'd rather spend time in jail with someone else....

Don't feel bad... I'm sure that there are lots of people that would love to be your cell mate.
That guy would probably make you crazy asking all kinds of stupid questions anyway...
Old 05-22-2012, 12:17 AM

As long as there are laws, there will be people trying to get around them. Sad thing is, he'll probably find some idiot that does it.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357mag View Post
As long as there are laws, there will be people trying to get around them. Sad thing is, he'll probably find some idiot that does it.
Then they would use his case as a main example to come up with a new registry.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerb View Post
Then they would use his case as a main example to come up with a new registry.
Or we could refer to your decision as an example of responsible ownership and why the licensing program works and why the LGR registry isn't necessary.

The advantage that the anti's have is that we only ever hear about the poor choices people make.

We never see people on TV saying...I didn't sell a firearm to an unlicensed guy or I didn't get charged with DWI today or I didn't use my handgun to commit a crime today... or I didn't use my cell phone while driving and get charged today... we only get to see the examples of failure.

So... in an odd way.... your experience is a good news story.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:18 AM
Banned

lt is now up to the buyer to get his pal , if l sell a gun and ask for a pal , what the hell do l care , l phoned the gun site they said registrys gone , and l dont have to transfer it , so why ask for his pal , if he buys from a dealer then they want it.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimboy View Post
lt is now up to the buyer to get his pal , if l sell a gun and ask for a pal , what the hell do l care , l phoned the gun site they said registrys gone , and l dont have to transfer it , so why ask for his pal , if he buys from a dealer then they want it.
Or maybe it's a setup? If anyone here thinks that isn't going to be happening they are crazy.

Maybe Dad is quite lawful and finds out about the whole thing?

Killer did the right thing. The onus is now not on the buyer but the seller to check for a valid PAL.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:37 AM

Could be an anti looking for an example of how anyone can now get their hands on one. Or perhaps a journalist working on a sensational story.