Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-23-2016, 08:04 PM

Default How do I tell my hunting partner, he's an idiot?

Not to get to specific but, he tried to sneak up on a coyote at 300 yards looking right at us. On open field And then tonight get to our hunting spot and there's mulies, winds blowing right at them and they are watching us and he decides to spot and stalk. They ran as soon he stepped into the field. How do I break t to him that he's an idiot
Old 10-23-2016, 08:08 PM

If he hasn't figured it out yet there is probably no point.
Old 10-23-2016, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterfowler vmax View Post
Not to get to specific but, he tried to sneak up on a coyote at 300 yards looking right at us. On open field And then tonight get to our hunting spot and there's mulies, winds blowing right at them and they are watching us and he decides to spot and stalk. They ran as soon he stepped into the field. How do I break t to him that he's an idiot
Let him read this thread.
Old 10-23-2016, 08:10 PM

Write him a Dear John letter.
Old 10-23-2016, 08:12 PM

LC
Old 10-23-2016, 08:16 PM

Just tell him straight up the mistakes he's making. He seems inexperienced and excited. Let him blunder about a bit then show him the right way.
Old 10-23-2016, 08:25 PM

Just get a new hunting partner.

I'm sure almost everyone who has hunted has gone though at least one and said to themselves "Nope"
Old 10-23-2016, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFNG View Post
Just tell him straight up the mistakes he's making. He seems inexperienced and excited. Let him blunder about a bit then show him the right way.
IF you are any kind of a 'good partner', this is the advice you'll take.
Old 10-23-2016, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFNG View Post
This is perfect
Cat
Old 10-23-2016, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Just point out what you said in the second last sentence of that paragraph. Tell a couple stories of mistakes made, etc.......
Old 10-24-2016, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Is he new to hunting if so Why didn't you stop him and just explain why he shouldn't do that .
Old 10-24-2016, 05:19 AM

Next time send him a text whilst he's in the midst of one of his idiotic stalks.....seems to be the norm nowadays....
Old 10-24-2016, 05:36 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Well ya kinda look him right in the eye, get real close and whisper, smarten up!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-24-2016, 06:34 AM

He ain't new, but thinks he super stealth. I told him no point and asked how he thinks he's gonna sneak up he goes "Easy". Type of guy that gets butt hurt over friendly ribbing. Hell of a nice guy but I can't handle these things anymore
Old 10-24-2016, 06:41 AM

Quote:
He ain't new, but thinks he super stealth. I told him no point and asked how he thinks he's gonna sneak up he goes "Easy". Type of guy that gets butt hurt over friendly ribbing. Hell of a nice guy but I can't handle these things anymore
Just go alone problem solve.

Just like in a poker game, if you cant spot the idiot in the first half hour of the hunt then you are the idiot.
Old 10-24-2016, 06:45 AM

Sometimes people don't like what they hear especially when its about them. Too bad, so sad. Just tell him, he'll get over it.

Or you could turn it into a competition. Tell him okay, lets see who can get closer, He gets to try his way and you get do it your way (separate stalks of course) to see who will get closer and hopefully harvest and animal. Lay down some rules like only one person is allowed to go while the other must wait and if there is success the guy waiting has to do the gutting.
Old 10-24-2016, 06:48 AM

Quote:

New partner time. There is a sticky at the top of the page where you can take your pick. Kind of like E-Harmony. This dude seems like more hassle than it's worth. There are only so many hunting days per year. Not enough to waste with a guy bent on screwing them up cuz he knows better.
Old 10-24-2016, 07:11 AM

Quote:
If that is the case it's time to change hunting partners
Cat
Old 10-24-2016, 07:19 AM
Banned

Default Move on ....

I know this guy change will not come easy....life is too short .

If you tell him ,and he figures out your serious , he'll likely blow you
Off , act hurt .
Old 10-24-2016, 09:29 AM
Banned

Tell him the truth, I know it's 2016 and words hurt the most. But seriously be honest. In today's day their are to many people that won't tell people the truth and those people keep on living their lives making the same stupid mistakes, it's like people who think their kids are going to be the next Gretzky or Crosby and encourage them to pursue it after highschool as a career and become a happy Gilmore goof
Old 10-24-2016, 09:36 AM

Quote:
And you berate your so-called "buddy" on a public forum calling him an idiot.....glad you're not my "buddy"
Old 10-24-2016, 09:55 AM

Default Hunting with an idiot

Maybe he's wondering the same thing
Old 10-24-2016, 10:12 AM

Put money on the line.

"you're gonna do what???? Okay, $50 bucks says you can't"

Maybe a lighter wallet will help the next stalk...

Or just start not taking him with you less frequently and eventually he will find another sucker to take him out...
Old 10-24-2016, 10:16 AM

Why is he bothering to sneak up on a coyote at 300 yards when he could just shoot it? But I digress. I had a partner that wouldn't be told, also a 'heck of a nice guy', but when he used his scope to identify something and I explained nicely why you NEVER do that, he explained to me that the safety was on. Notice I said 'had' a hunting partner. Time to move on, if someone can't be told nicely.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 10-24-2016, 10:20 AM

Geebuz
What exactly does the OP expect from this thread? Unless they're joined at the hip he can hunt with whomever he wishes or doesn't. Poking fun at an enthusiastic (overenthusiastic perhaps) hunting partner and calling him an idiot is harsh to say the least. To see other posters join in is disappointing.
I'm pretty sure all of us can be considered idiots, depending who we're in company of.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:26 AM

Smile Ah youth

Trying to stalk anything regardless of the wind is pretty tough. I'd say a coyote would be near impossible. Was a bow hunting opportunity?

If that is all the guy does wrong I'd laugh it off. These animals are smarter than you think.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:27 AM

Settle it behind manifold shack.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
Trying to stalk anything regardless of the wind is pretty tough. I'd say a coyote would be near impossible. Was a bow hunting opportunity?

If that is all the guy does wrong I'd laugh it off. These animals are smarter than you think.
There are some that would say crawling on your belly for 5 hours in a hayfield in stocking feet would be sheer lunacy, but here we are.

If the guy wants to quit hunting with his partner because his partner took a chance on a long shot (nothing is impossible) coyote stalk, I'd say the partner would be better off without him.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
New partner time. There is a sticky at the top of the page where you can take your pick. Kind of like E-Harmony. This dude seems like more hassle than it's worth. There are only so many hunting days per year. Not enough to waste with a guy bent on screwing them up cuz he knows better.
This.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:50 AM

Quote:
The same way you tell everyone else who doesn't know something that they are idiots.

Seriously, if he's a friend, help him, don't make judgments. If he's not a friend, just someone you hunt with, and you continue going with him, well perhaps the idiot is...

Last edited by Okotokian; 10-24-2016 at 12:07 PM.