Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 04-01-2013, 09:20 PM

Default Red Deer River float information

Hello

I'm new to this forum and have been looking at threads for some time. Figured I might as well join. I love to flyfish and I fish the Bow quite alot in Calgary and ,as a girl, get some weird looks when I'm there by myself .

Anyway the hubby and I just got a drift boat and was wondering if anyone has information about floating the Red Deer River? From a quick forum search sounds like there is a boat launch just below Dickson damn and there is one at a bridge near Innisfial (hwy 54 bridge)? Does anyone know what approximate float times are and where the boat launches are with vehicle access (have to be able to get the truck and trailer down)? I'm interested in floating the Red Deer maybe in August fishing with dries and have yet to catch a brown. Floating somewhere around Drumheller would be neat too maybe catching some goldeye (also on the bucket list).

Looking at a day trip but camping overnight is an option.

Thanks very much!
Old 04-01-2013, 10:36 PM

If you are looking for a true boat launch there is only one at Dickson dam and the city of red deer. I believe you should be able to get your boat out at Innisfail as long as you have 4x4. Should be able to float from Dickson to innisfail in 5 hrs. Make sure you know your route as there are 2 multi channel scenarios in this section that are tight and could prove costly if you make a bad decision. Let me know if you need more info as I live on the river in this area and would be happy to tell you what I know.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:55 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmitty View Post
If you are looking for a true boat launch there is only one at Dickson dam and the city of red deer. I believe you should be able to get your boat out at Innisfail as long as you have 4x4. Should be able to float from Dickson to innisfail in 5 hrs. Make sure you know your route as there are 2 multi channel scenarios in this section that are tight and could prove costly if you make a bad decision. Let me know if you need more info as I live on the river in this area and would be happy to tell you what I know.
Is there not a partial launch at penhold bridge also.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:06 PM

launch at the dam,innisfail bridge,penhold bridge,bower ponds,590,tolman.....
Old 04-02-2013, 08:44 PM

Oops forgot one, Great West Adventure Park in downtown Red Deer.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:31 AM

Thanks for the information everyone!
Old 04-04-2013, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmitty View Post
To do Dickson to innisfail in 5 hours that river would have to be straight floating and row the whole way. If you are doing any serious fishing you need to plan on 8 to 12 hours to float that section. When the hatch is on I have been on that stretch many times for over 14 hours. 99% of the time you will have no problem pulling the boat out in Innisfail.
Happy floating, we will see you on the river!!
Old 04-04-2013, 08:33 PM

Without getting into the whole fishing out of a pontoon vs drifter is better.

Which would be the best mode of transport on the red deer?
Old 04-05-2013, 08:26 AM

Is anyone running a shuttle service on the red deer?
Old 04-05-2013, 09:38 AM

A group of us do a float in our kayaks from time to time. Floating through Red Deer city from Bower Ponds to 3 Mile Bend park can take you 3-4 hours easy if you stop and anchor to fish. Tons of pike, whitefish and even the odd trout caught right in town.

Best thing to do is to get a group together and stage vehicles at the pull out point.