Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 05-01-2013, 05:30 PM

Default Pieroway Rods

Hey there everybody, Ive just recently decided that after fishing with a spinning reel setup for the past few years I would like to try fly fishing. When I was at the last boat and sportsman show I watched the fly fishing demo that Pieroway had put on but at the time I hadnt really decided that I wanted to try fly fishing. However, now that I have made that decision I would like to try fly fishing I am thinking about getting a Pieroway rod, but I cant find anywhere that sells them. If anyone here has any info that would be great, or a review on there products that would be even better.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:43 PM

Not sure who sells them (other then themselves), but I do know a guy that repairs a lot of them!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfishen View Post
but I cant find anywhere that sells them..
Old 05-01-2013, 06:04 PM

I absolutely love their rods! I have two 8 foot 6 element series, Geoff custom made for me. Just go to their website and get in touch with Geoff about purchasing a rod.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfishen View Post
Hey there everybody, Ive just recently decided that after fishing with a spinning reel setup for the past few years I would like to try fly fishing. When I was at the last boat and sportsman show I watched the fly fishing demo that Pieroway had put on but at the time I hadnt really decided that I wanted to try fly fishing. However, now that I have made that decision I would like to try fly fishing I am thinking about getting a Pieroway rod, but I cant find anywhere that sells them. If anyone here has any info that would be great, or a review on there products that would be even better.
You need to contact them directly they are the only ones that sell them in Alberta, I do recommend them they are good guys to deal with! I have dealt with them and there good guys.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:17 PM

I bought a spey rod from them last year and love it. I broke the tip my fault and he sent me a new one no questions asked
Old 05-01-2013, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhalle9 View Post
Just go to their website and get in touch with Geoff about purchasing a rod.
Good Luck with that. I contacted they 3 times each on 2 seperate occasions, once I was looking into purchase 6 rods, and never got a call back. For what its worth I have a tactical in 6 Wt. and the thing launches line.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:22 PM

I've also heard that they (he) are/is really hard to get a hold of!!

Also need to qualify my previous response... All the repairs my guy does on their rods are hardware related (reel seats mostly)!!

Oh and the blanks they buy are about $10 so to me the mark up isn't worth it when you can buy a better blank (rod) for the same cost!!

Of course, this is just my opinion... And you know what they say about opinions?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ÜberFly View Post
Not sure who sells them (other then themselves), but I do know a guy that repairs a lot of them!!
Old 05-01-2013, 08:59 PM

Contact there prostaff directly or stop by there shop they will get you on the water. If they are unable to do so they will let you borrow one of the rods in the mean time so your always on the water.

I have a tactical 4wt 10ft and a 6wt 9ft element and both rods are very smooth and can launch line, for a 4wt 10ft it can handle some big setups!

They also came out with a new rod called the X series which casts similar to the St.Croix Bank Robber Blank.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ÜberFly View Post
I've also heard that they (he) are/is really hard to get a hold of!!

Also need to qualify my previous response... All the repairs my guy does on their rods are hardware related (reel seats mostly)!!

Oh and the blanks they buy are about $10 so to me the mark up isn't worth it when you can buy a better blank (rod) for the same cost!!

Of course, this is just my opinion... And you know what they say about opinions?!
For what it's worth, I have had several reel seat problems with Sage, far more than any other of the 15 or so different so rod makers (including Pieroway) I have fished with over the past 35 years of flyfishing.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:25 PM

Great group of guys, great rods. I have two of them myself after, like you, I was in awe at the sportsman show! These guys were great to deal with, despite all my dumb questions I never felt dumb!! What a lot of people don't realize is that these guys all have full time jobs as well as working for Pieroway. If you can't get ahold of Geoff, PM me and I have a card from one of the other guys that will always answer (or get back to you asap). There are a couple guys on here that seem to get off on bashing these guys, for some reason, but they have always been a great help to me!!
Old 05-03-2013, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissFlyfishing View Post
Great group of guys, great rods. I have two of them myself after, like you, I was in awe at the sportsman show! These guys were great to deal with, despite all my dumb questions I never felt dumb!! What a lot of people don't realize is that these guys all have full time jobs as well as working for Pieroway. If you can't get ahold of Geoff, PM me and I have a card from one of the other guys that will always answer (or get back to you asap). There are a couple guys on here that seem to get off on bashing these guys, for some reason, but they have always been a great help to me!!
+1 on what missflyfishing said. I know Brad for sure keeps busy with his full time job.

Great rods though, they can get you set up on a full package. I have had issues with much more exspensive rods and never a problem with my Pieroways.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:59 AM

yea i have 5 pieroway rods and no problems what so ever id recomend them forsure great guys to deal with
Old 05-06-2013, 07:20 PM

Thanks for the input everyone, I understand that there will both good and bad reviews with every product on the market. However it seems like there is a lot of good reviews about these rods. Ill have to get around to getting ahold of the guys at pieroway. I really like the idea of supporting the local guy versus a big manufacturer that has already made their fair share. So I think I will give these guys a try. (Which will be followed by a lot of practice for a first timer haha)
Old 07-21-2016, 04:03 PM

Does anyone know another way of getting a hold of Geoff? I sent in a rod on June 6th for warranty work and have not heard from him since...... I have been trying to get a hold of him from the last while but can't get in touch with him......
Old 07-22-2016, 04:51 AM

i have owned a lot of rods, everything from TFO and Pflueger to Orvis and Rainshadow custom rods. My Pieroway tactical is my favorite hands down.

Call or send them a message on facebook, Geoff is a busy guy but he's awesome to deal with

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 07-22-2016, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lok View Post
Does anyone know another way of getting a hold of Geoff? I sent in a rod on June 6th for warranty work and have not heard from him since...... I have been trying to get a hold of him from the last while but can't get in touch with him......
It's not easy but keep trying. If you go to the shop the front might be locked but you can go around to the back and knock on that door. Might be working in the back.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:52 AM

Check this post and you can get Geof's number from it since he posted on it on here.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...53#post3284653

Good luck...
Old 07-22-2016, 11:01 AM

Try the Facebook contact route, I know Geoff was in Denver for iCast2016(last week), he travels a lot.
Old 07-22-2016, 06:46 PM

thanks, i'll just keep trying to call/email as I don't have facebook......
Old 07-24-2016, 04:57 PM

My buddy went by there last week to buy a new rod and tying supplies, middle of the day the place was locked up and Geoff didn't answer his cell. Wholesale Sports got the sale.
They have a storefront and need to maintain regular "open" hours. I live in the south and cant be bothered heading up there anymore on a chance they might be open. Geoff is a great guy, but it only goes so far.
Just my 2c
Jh
Old 07-24-2016, 10:33 PM

Yeah, not very impressed so far. love the rod but being with out it for over 7 weeks sucks!
Old 07-24-2016, 11:18 PM

I have tried to contact him on 6 occasions. He was in Iceland for 1 of those times. Every other time I have texted or called he has answered. Never a problem.
I love the rods. He will get more of my business. I love the guys that want to spend money locally with small businesses but since the owner, the only guy there, was in the US a big box store gets the business. Classic.
Old 07-25-2016, 12:13 AM

CTG,
I know what you are saying. His rods have a good name and it is a local business, I am all for that. Our issue is he has a store front, he is not operating his business out of his basement though he runs it like it is. If Geoff hired someone to work the storefront, would be slow at first perhaps, but with his product and personality he would have a definite following. I have 2 Pieroway rods myself.
The OFF fly shop is as close to my house as is Wholesale, and the little guy gets the majority of my business. Both places have set hours and I know, with certainty that either are open during their set business hours.
Jh
Old 07-25-2016, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
I have tried to contact him on 6 occasions. He was in Iceland for 1 of those times. Every other time I have texted or called he has answered. Never a problem.
I love the rods. He will get more of my business. I love the guys that want to spend money locally with small businesses but since the owner, the only guy there, was in the US a big box store gets the business. Classic.
I'm with James Henry as well. I would be great to see him succeed but he has to fix some things - e.g. customer service and getting more organized. Put someone in the shop who can answer the phones and keep the door open for business. We are not talking about huge $$$ here to to this. I don't know the details of his business and how close to the profit line he runs it but if you can't do it right...only a matter of time before the business is done. There are a lot of choices and any business has to compete to survive. I hope for his sake he figures it out.