Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-24-2011, 07:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeMan View Post
What was Cst. Sandboe thinking? He surely knew there was video surveilence in the detachment hallway. It just doesn't make any sense, or are some of these guys so brazen that they think they can get away with it. I'm thinking he was on the "juice" too. Also, I'll bet that this Clyburn guy said something ignorant. I'm not saying it was right but he probably deserved the attitude adjustment.
What is this "juice" stuff that you guys refer to?
Old 01-24-2011, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
Anabolic steroids.
Cat
Old 01-24-2011, 08:15 AM
Banned

Wow, now that's scary stuff.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:56 AM

problem identified
Old 01-26-2011, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
Cat had it right. Anabolic steroids, testosterone supplements, caffeine supplements. These things can put a person on edge and alter good judgement with aggression. A good friend of mine works on the force and says these drugs are rampant.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:18 PM

Old 01-27-2011, 09:25 AM

Instead of creating rumour-mill about what may have been the officer's "issue"; how about looking at what the real issue is. Neglect of a Federal police agency that is poorely lacking in Funding, Proper training, Reasonable staffing numbers, Delegated leave for stress and/or medical, Early intervention on Employee direction, Mismanaged infrastructure, and the list goes on.
Not to mention that RCMP members have to live amongst those they arrest and deal with. If you want put some shoes on the officer; ask yourself, what would that criminal have to say to make you do what the officer did. Especially knowing that the criminal knows where you, your family, your loved ones, sleep, live, and work.

"The Sheepdog that must live and work amongst the wolves must have a heavy bite; Regardless of what the Sheep think"

Passs the Popcorn..
Old 01-27-2011, 05:19 PM

Hope and pray you don't get bit then!
Old 01-27-2011, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Updated: Thu Jan. 27 2011 17:56:13

ctvedmonton.ca

The Crown is seeking a six to nine-month sentence for a nine-year member of the RCMP who pleaded guilty to the assault of a prisoner in his care.

The charge stems from an incident caught on cell block video in which Const. Desmond Sandboe is shown assaulting the prisoner at the Lac La Biche RCMP detachment on Sept. 13, 2009.

The surveillance video, which has no audio, shows two RCMP officers just starting their shift, and leading the prisoner down the hall. The 33-year-old prisoner, who had been unruly and injured in a bar fight hours earlier, believed he was supposed to be released from custody.

The video shows Sandboe lunging at 33-year-old Andrew Clyburn and appears to smash his head into the wall twice. The prisoner is then sent to the ground with the constable swinging his hand towards the man's head.

During this time, two other men can be seen standing behind the constable and the prisoner watching the assault.

After 40 seconds, the prisoner is led back to his cell.

The incident was reported to the RCMP Detachment Commander who then referred it to the Alberta Serious Incidence Response Team (ASIRT), a police body that investigates incidents or complaints of serious injury or death that may have resulted from the actions of a police officer.

The lawyer representing Sandboe, Rod Gregory, said his client's actions were "not a premeditated occurrence and the court ought to take that into consideration."

The defence said his client believed he saw threat cues from victim.

"He perceived the complainant made a quick move toward him. But Gregory said his client did "overreact."

"It may well be that video shows he mis-perceived the threat cue."

Gregory said the constable has accepted full responsibility for his actions. It is claimed the constable suffers from acute stress disorder from responding to the fatal shootings of the four officers in Mayerthorpe in 2005.

His lawyer went on to tell the court that according to a doctor's report, Sandboe has made "significant process."

The defence has asked for a conditional discharge saying if properly composed, "could send a very strong message to other peace officers."

But the Crown said a discharge is not appropriate in this case.

"It was a sustained beating over the course of 40 seconds," said Crown prosecutor Jason Neustaeter.

The Crown has also asked for the judge to consider a possible weapons prohibition for the constable.

The constable was originally charged with assault causing bodily harm but because his victim was already wounded, the Crown was unable to prove what injuries Sandboe might have inflicted.

Sandboe read three type-written pages to the court and repeatedly apologized to his victim, saying he no longer speaks to his own parents out of shame and has been distanced from his RCMP family as well.

The constable has been suspended without pay.

He will be sentenced on Feb. 7th.

With files from David Ewasuk

http://edmonton.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...b=EdmontonHome
...you've got to be kidding!

'Never trust anyone who says you can't legally own something because they don't like it'. - Me
Old 01-27-2011, 06:54 PM
Banned

Default Puke

Using the mayerthorpe tragedy as an excuse to beat someone. This guy is sickening. I heard on the news today that this was not his first trouble.

This guy should have been fired a long time ago...hope Clyburn sues the bejeebus out of the RCMP. The funds should come out of their traffic ticket money and not from taxpayers. Maybe make them ride bikes and use slingshots to help pay for the settlement that is sure to follow.

And anyone that has seen someone go into roid rage...knows they can turn into a total psycho at the drop of a pin...especially when you consider that typically people that abuse steroids are generally not that well balanced to begin with. Time to start drug testing the RCMP as a condition of employment.

Last edited by rugatika; 01-27-2011 at 07:01 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:58 PM
Banned

Default Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
Instead of creating rumour-mill about what may have been the officer's "issue"; how about looking at what the real issue is. Neglect of a Federal police agency that is poorely lacking in Funding, Proper training, Reasonable staffing numbers, Delegated leave for stress and/or medical, Early intervention on Employee direction, Mismanaged infrastructure, and the list goes on.
Not to mention that RCMP members have to live amongst those they arrest and deal with. If you want put some shoes on the officer; ask yourself, what would that criminal have to say to make you do what the officer did. Especially knowing that the criminal knows where you, your family, your loved ones, sleep, live, and work.

"The Sheepdog that must live and work amongst the wolves must have a heavy bite; Regardless of what the Sheep think"

Passs the Popcorn..
Like totally WOW!!

How about this: "The sheep that must live amongst a sheepdog with a heavy bite should learn how to protect themselves and fire the sheepdog."
Old 01-27-2011, 07:06 PM

Quote:

Passs the Popcorn..
Sorry I heartily disagree, the RCMP is wasteful money pit that serves no purpose. The last thing we need it to throw good money after bad.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:09 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
Sorry I heartily disagree, the RCMP is wasteful money pit that serves no purpose. The last thing we need it to throw good money after bad.
\??? what would be your alternative for law and order???...just wondering...
Old 01-27-2011, 07:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
\??? what would be your alternative for law and order???...just wondering...
I got an idea...how about county sheriff's that are elected? They'd be a good police force for policing the police.

Can you say "SHERIFF JOE ARAPAIO" (or however you spell it)
Old 01-27-2011, 07:16 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
I got an idea...how about county sheriff's that are elected? They'd be a good police force for policing the police.

Can you say "SHERIFF JOE ARAPAIO" (or however you spell it)
could work...but then he is the Sheriff of only Maricopa county....there is a dozen police forces there which leads to jurisdictional issues, dunno how good that works...also don't know about electing them??? Judges ??? absolutely great idea...
Old 01-27-2011, 07:52 PM
Banned

The defence said his client believed he saw threat cues from victim.

"He perceived the complainant made a quick move toward him. But Gregory said his client did "overreact."

"It may well be that video shows he mis-perceived the threat cue."

Gregory said the constable has accepted full responsibility for his actions. It is claimed the constable suffers from acute stress disorder from responding to the fatal shootings of the four officers in Mayerthorpe in 2005.

His lawyer went on to tell the court that according to a doctor's report, Sandboe has made "significant process."

The defence has asked for a conditional discharge saying if properly composed, "could send a very strong message to other peace officers."

Translation.............

If you didn't see the video of the beating then the prisoner made a quick move toward him. But, if you did see the video it was because he has PTSP from the Mayerthorpe tragedy. Either way, it wasn't his fault and his doctor says that he's better now. So, in light of that, you should punish him a little bit but not too much. Other peace officers will be scared to death at the thought of a conditional sentence.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:57 PM

Quote:

Passs the Popcorn..
RCMP does NOT lack funding. They are woefully bloated and top heavy. Let's talk about better training though. Reaonable staffing numbers? A Cop gets paid... 50K a year, then why does it cost the municipality 100K per officer? Remember RCMP are employed by their municipality for wages, the funding for the organization comes from federal coffers. As far as medical and stress leave, the cops get the best treatment first and leap frog common citizens, so that holds no water either.

Eat as much popcorn as you like, but the RCMP is treated head and shoulders above ANY citizen period!

And since you like quotes so much, this one was from an old gentleman far ahead of his time.

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.” Friedrich Nietzsche October 15, 1844 – August 25, 1900
Old 01-28-2011, 08:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuc View Post
Really, it's not me that needs to brush up, then again bible principals have gone out the door in todays world, I guess the criminals have all the rights.

Was the guy being an azz and beeking or was he cooperating with the office. That pretty well explains my answer.
I think it might be you who needs to brush up on your bible reading

You have heard that it was said, "An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth". But I say to you, do not resist an evildoer. If anyone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. (Matthew 5:38–39)

If any of you put a stumbling block before one of these
little ones who believe in me,
It would be better for you if a great millstone were
fastened around your neck and you were drowned in
the depth of the sea. (Mt 18:6)
Old 01-28-2011, 08:27 PM

"He who Beekith to cops,taketh risk of being learned in backroom."

NHO 01 2011
Old 01-28-2011, 08:30 PM

The attempted cover up bothers me as much or more than the beating. If it weren't for the video, the victim would not only have sustained an ass kicking, but also be jailed for assault on a police officer.

I hope the judge views the attempt at trumped up charges very dimly.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:33 PM
Banned

I wish someone would place a law in effect that if so called peace officers are convicted of any crime that the minimum sentence is doubled.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:19 PM

Default Not just the RCMP

Quote:
Edmonton police officer found guilty of assault

By Ryan Cormier, edmontonjournal.com January 28, 2011 6:45 PM

EDMONTON — An officer with the Edmonton Police Service was found guilty of assault Friday.

Const. Haoyin Zheng was convicted in provincial court of assaulting a handcuffed man in the back of a police car in December 2008. He was found not guilty on another count of assault, and assault with a weapon.

Charges stem from a traffic stop of a stolen truck in an alley near 145th Street and 104th Avenue. Jean Marc Viau, the driver of the truck, claimed that Zheng hit him on the head with a flashlight, then placed him the back of a police car, where the officer “tackled” him, yelled at him and punched him repeatedly.

Provincial Court Judge John Henderson found that the repeated punches that Viau claimed likely didn’t happen, and that the Crown had failed to prove the assault with a weapon — the flashlight — had occurred.

Despite the lack of punches, Henderson found Zheng guilty of assaulting a handcuffed Viau in the back of the cruiser, noting “the force used was significant enough to rock the police vehicle from side to side.”

At the time, Zheng was trying to get Viau to tell him where the truck’s keys were, which Viau had thrown away. The officer was annoyed by the lack of information on the whereabouts of the keys, Henderson said.

“Stop screwing around,” Zheng said at the time. “Where are the keys?”

No one sustained serious injuries in the incident.

The judge added that because Viau was handcuffed and physically co-operating with police the entire time, he was no threat to the public or to the four officers who were at the scene. In court, Viau was referred to as a “career criminal” who lied to officers about his identity.

Henderson found that while Zheng also used force on the truck’s passenger, that force was warranted and did not meet the threshold for assault.

Zheng, an Edmonton police officer for five years, is currently suspended with pay from the EPS, said spokesman Dean Parthenis.

Sgt. Tony Simioni, spokesman for the Edmonton Police Association, said the conviction was disappointing.

“Force has to be used in many circumstances, and it’s a fine balance between what’s appropriate and what isn’t,” he said. “We don’t feel this was inappropriate, however, the judge disagreed.”

Zheng also faces two counts of assault for an unrelated incident in June 2010.

Police said Zheng arrested a man in the hallway of an apartment building. The man sustained non-life-threatening injuries during the arrest, but did not need to be hospitalized.

It’s alleged Zheng used excessive force while the man was being detained and while he was handcuffed

Those charges are still before the courts.

rcormier@edmontonjournal.com

© Copyright (c) The Edmonton Journal

Read more: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...#ixzz1COzTOLVi
Not just the RCMP...

'Never trust anyone who says you can't legally own something because they don't like it'. - Me
Old 01-28-2011, 11:44 PM
Banned

Makes me wish I could totally screw up at my job and instead of getting fired, get leave with pay, awsome, think I will try it, kinda want some leave with pay so I can go get a bison