Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-20-2012, 04:00 AM

Glad they got caught. I thought it was ok to buy the fish from the netters when they pulled at pigeon?? I almost went and bought some. Am I missing something????
Old 03-20-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
Like in the war against drugs, who is most at fault? Buyer or Seller?
well said chubb,

when there is demand for something, it will be aquired in any means possible, and supplied.
supply and demand -
Old 03-20-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
Glad they got caught. I thought it was ok to buy the fish from the netters when they pulled at pigeon?? I almost went and bought some. Am I missing something????
There is nothing wrong with purchasing fish from a commercial fisherman who is licensed. Buying fish year round from none-licensed poachers is a big no no though.
On a side note many of these fish also came out of Battle Lake.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 03-20-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
A reputable commercial guy will give you a receipt upon purchase I presume....a poacher.....hmmm not so much. So if you go to purchase fish from a netter I would ask a simple question of, can you provide me with a receipt? THAT is likely what F&W will ask for if/when you get stopped.....and you tell them you purchased from a commercial fisherman.

LC
Old 03-20-2012, 12:39 PM
Banned

Ok, just supposin; I'm trying to figure out the business end of the poaching?? there is an assumption that it's walleye but how much would a poached walleye fetch on the black market, as that market works by undercutting,,, I am leaning towards profit fish i.e., trout,,,, go to safeway and see how much two dinker rainbows with pale meat sell for. And I wonder about certain lakes up central and northerly that the Edmonton folks complain about numbers and size.

I go to a dugout and even if the banks are lined with rods (which I've never seen) not everybody are catching so on the numbers being low due to us regular fisherfolk seems wrong,, so what were the fish? I mean calculate gas, hauling, cleaning, shipping, etc... If one were a poacher what would one target for profit??? Walleye are heavy and labour intensive as would be pike and Lake Whites but trout just stocked would be easy picking and quick to process.

?????
Old 03-20-2012, 02:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavMahler View Post
......so what were the fish? I mean calculate gas, hauling, cleaning, shipping, etc... If one were a poacher what would one target for profit??? Walleye are heavy and labour intensive as would be pike and Lake Whites but trout just stocked would be easy picking and quick to process.

?????
From the article in the OP:

“The net value or total worth of the illegal bought and sold fish is approximately 36K ($36,000),”

"The suspects face an array of charges including the unlawful sale and purchase of walleye and whitefish."
Old 03-20-2012, 02:25 PM
Banned

Over here we can purchase walleye filets at the grocery store. It sells for $14.00 per pound, about 1 whole filet. A clerk there will call me when it arrives fresh. Cheap eats!Same thing at the Farmer's Market in Saskatoon. Frozen admittedly, but good food.

From time to time, I see a little purple pick-up truck cruising around our village with a freezer chest lashed down on the back. He stopped by one time last year. Turns out he was selling walleye and pike filets, albeit sans receipt. I admit to buying a bag of frozen walleye at about $12/lbs.

He doesn't stop here anymore. Something to do with the accuracy of his scales, leading to a full refund. I still see that truck once in a while. And the groceteria calls occasionally.

Free (mmm. deep fried walleye)
Old 03-20-2012, 02:27 PM

Cool

It would be nice to see some imposing fines dished out and send a strong message
Old 03-20-2012, 03:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
From the article in the OP:

“The net value or total worth of the illegal bought and sold fish is approximately 36K ($36,000),”

"The suspects face an array of charges including the unlawful sale and purchase of walleye and whitefish."
thanks, i skimmed, my bad,,, but wow! industrious for so little,,, why didn't they go the legal route????? prolly woulda made more money
Old 03-20-2012, 03:42 PM
Banned

illegal, immoral, selfish, irresponsible, negligent, and disastrous behavior, Sickins me, wish there existed judges whom were not AFRAID to exercise their position, however just like society, its not the police that are the problem, its the lack of support for their admirable efforts on behalf of the light hand of justice during the severely lacking judicial system that needs to be dissected, analysed and improved. Good job F&W lets hope your extensive efforts lead somewhere.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:50 PM

Default !!!

may all involved get raped by moose....
Old 03-20-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpower2506 View Post
Worked for him many moons ago, I remember him being busted for a bull elk shot close to Bonnie glen
I have known him my entire life been a family friend for many years long before vandenbrink construction...
I thought he would of smartened up by now..!! Unreal
Old 03-20-2012, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpower2506 View Post
Worked for him many moons ago, I remember him being busted for a bull elk shot close to Bonnie glen
Anytime someone is a repeat offender, it obviously means they didn't learn their lesson the first time. All the more reason they should have the book thrown at them and get the maximum sentence.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 03-21-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophyboy View Post
Seeing the names on this thread tells me exactly what happened to Milk River Ridge Reservoir down south. WOW, thanks for posting!
Please elaborate!!! What happened to the Milk River Ridge Reservoir?