Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-22-2023, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Did the plane look like the one in this picture?

That's the one
Old 09-22-2023, 09:08 AM

The op was purposely vague and now everyone's jumped to conclusions.
Old 09-22-2023, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmsmith View Post
There is that. I'm regretting chiming in at all.
Old 09-22-2023, 01:15 PM

Quote:
There is that. I'm regretting chiming in at all.
Why?
The guy with 37 posts in 6 years has 6 on this thread alone. Most of them attacking the OP, who has responded several times. Suspicious, no?

I would say any info on illegal actions, or actions bordering on being illegal, should be brought out.
I sometimes hunt the same area and now, if the same thing happens to me, I'll be light years ahead when delivering info to F&W.
So I thank you for your input. Regret nothing.

Last edited by CBintheNorth; 09-22-2023 at 01:34 PM.
Old 09-22-2023, 01:51 PM

I have no doubt the man has a plane, but to suggest he’s risking his life flying around chasing flocks of geese to try and hinder someone else’s hunt seems like an awful stretch.
Those birds are like sky rats this time of the year, and there’s an enormous number of them for everyone interested in filling limits.

I’m scared every time I take off in the fall I’m going to plow into a flock, seems crazy someone would intentionally try getting closer to them
Old 09-22-2023, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Lublinkhof View Post
Is anyone else running into people checking for animals with drones? I’ve had it twice now where a drone buzzes over at the crack of dawn to check clearings and cutlines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Geez I hope that one gets caught. I fly a drone and I sure as hell don't use it for hunting, I use it for antler hunting in the spring as well as just the joy of flying it. I also have a licence for it as well as numbers on my drone. Guys like that make things bad for us law abiding folks. I sure wouldn't want the fine and lose my $$$$ drone for being stupid. I did fly it in the morning up by Leslieville not long ago because our friend, a farmer lady hasn't seen that patch of land of hers for 20 years. She is almost 100 years old and hasn't been able to get there so I filmed the whole thing for her so she can see what it looks like from the air. We were not hunting that day, we were harvesting giant puffball mushrooms.

Last edited by Glas Ó Cairealláin; 09-22-2023 at 04:36 PM.
Old 09-22-2023, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glas Ó Cairealláin View Post
Geez I hope that one gets caught. ... Guys like that make things bad for us law abiding folks.
That's for sure. I used to think they fell in the same category as aircraft, that is, you could use the drone but not on the same day that you were hunting.

Looking at the wildlife act, a person can't use it for hunting at all. Which would be a conundrum, actually, for those who are using drones to get aerial footage for their hunting videos, come to think of it.

I always thought that using a drone in the woods during hunting season is risky anyhow.

You know, someone is walking along, carrying a shotgun, and then sees a drone flying overhead...

"I coulda sworn I heard someone shout, 'Pull!'"
Old 09-27-2023, 04:26 PM

Default Really? Are we doing this again??

Hey all ... let me first say thanks those who speak with logic on this matter and to those with words of support.

Before I start my rebuttal to these bull$#!T accusations ... have a look at my forum name!

Yup it says Claudio Ongaro (I don't hide behind a keyboard and spew unsubstantiated harmful rhetoric) ... here is my phone number 1-780-203-4868 ... I invite you to call me to discuss your concerns and your accusations of which ALL are false ... I suspect no one will as I have been in this same situation before yet no one ever makes the time to call or text.

Yes GGCE is mine and the photo was likely from my FB or IG page ... So crafty!! I'm likely the most publicly open and accessible outfitter in Alberta with nothing to hide except of course the jet black carbon fibre Super Cub with no numbers or markings which rarely comes out of the secret hangar buried three stories under ground ... Lex Luthor will never find it!! Hahahaaa

The rest of you hating on me and outfitters in general, it's time to take a hard look at your own inadequacies and quit blaming everyone you can from a hidden name behind a keyboard. As I write this, it is Sept 27 ... I have not had a shower since Saturday evening (not because I am too busy flying and trying to sabotage everyone's hunts) but because bird outfitting is hard work and requires long hours of spotting and hunting to be successful. Oh and I really don't have time to be dealing with this but I really can't stand the rumour mill and the drama this can create on the landscape in which we work everyday: not to mention the anti-outfitting sentiment it creates. I have flown three times and once was to ferry my plane for its annual where it has been parked since. If I fly I certainly have no reason to sabotage anyone's hunts or disturb any birds. Think about ... how does this benefit me besides burning time of which I have none to spare, burning expensive fuel and adding costly engine time to my aircraft.

I will say this ... I have zero interest in sabotaging anyone's hunt. Me and my team do this professionally every day and to think we have the time to worry about you or your hunt or the hunt we did not get and that we actually have the time to stress over it is ridiculous.

We are professional guides and if we miss out on a hunt (happens more often than not) ... We carry on, spot hard, find another feed and try to acquire access to another hunt. We hunt a massive area as to not impose any great pressure on any one area at any given time. I actually want you to crush a bunch birds as I know once local hunters have smashed a few limits they care not to hunt as much. We have amazing relationships with most of our landowners (many who have become great friends after 30 years ... yes 30 years ... hunting from the same location) that call or text if they see birds. Hmmm ... that's not what the keyboard warriors are spewing.

Anyhow ... I have been up since 4:30 AM, I am tired and I have clients that missed a flight that I need to pick up at 1 AM. I am pretty sure I won't have time to go find any of you this week to try and sabotage your hunts. Damn ... I guess I will have to focus on my clients. there is a novel idea.

I know next week will be the same as the days get shorter, the hunts pack in closer together and the days get busier. Oh wait a minute ... If I get my night rating I can come look for you in the dark while you're setting up your hunts (I don't need sleep). Better yet ... I'll just buy a helicopter ... that would make it much much easier as I could just hover over your set the entire morning with all of my spare time.

On a serious note ... Call me 1-780-203-4868 ... I always answer my phone if I am awake and I am not in the middle of a hunt. If I don't pick up .. shoot me a text and I will get with you usually in minutes.

Cheers!!

Claudio Ongaro
Old 09-27-2023, 04:49 PM

Default Gentlemen!

I don't think that it is a good idea to fight amoung ourselves. When I first met Cam McKay on a goose hunt north of Winnepeg, (he could shoot as well as Elk), he said "you are always welcome on a goose hunt if you bring a shovel and your own lunch" the idea being that when the flock comes in there are lots of birds to shoot.

The people on here are the best friends that you will ever find. We should not be causing more problems than we already have.
Old 09-27-2023, 05:19 PM

Hah oh man... good to see claudio post.

Imagine; a grown man like the op claims to be. He could have just spoke to whomever he took issue with instead of making a purposely vague post.

Some of us even offered him help that he refused to take up.

Can't wait for rifle season. I'll be around strome lots.
Old 09-27-2023, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmsmith View Post
Most instances I know of that in involve busted hunts are not outfitters but antis, and locals who try and stir stuff up.
Cat
Old 09-27-2023, 09:18 PM

The anti outfitting clown show continues. Can’t kill your 8 geese or your supplemental does? Blame an outfitter. AO has been doing it since 2003.
Old 09-27-2023, 09:32 PM

Default Harassing wildlife with a plane and interfering in a hunt?

Had a good chat with Claudio this evening. I had some explaining to do.

Recommend anyone with concerns to take him up on his offer!
Old 09-29-2023, 12:52 PM

Quote:

You know, someone is walking along, carrying a shotgun, and then sees a drone flying overhead...

"I coulda sworn I heard someone shout, 'Pull!'"
MAJOR BAD if someone shoots a drone down. Transport Canada treats that pretty seriously as a felony. In their opinion it's like shooting down a plane. If someone sees one you are supposed to phone the cops.
Anywhere I've flown my drone, I've always had permission to fly and there was no one on the property that I know of. Never had an issue yet, but then again I don't fly it like a moron.

"Transport Canada stress that UAVs are considered aircraft. As with planes, helicopters, hot air balloons, and so on, shooting at a drone endangers the safety of the aircraft, and violates federal legislation on the safe use of firearms."
Old 09-29-2023, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glas Ó Cairealláin View Post
but then again I don't fly it like a moron.
This is key.
Old 09-29-2023, 02:36 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Had a good chat with Claudio this evening. I had some explaining to do.

Recommend anyone with concerns to take him up on his offer!
Agree, running our hunting community down for whatever reason is what the antis want and thrive on.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...